Skydive Sebastian may move its landing zone
Iannaccone said Skydive Sebastian is now willing to look at the city's offer.
"In light of the city's recent offer, Skydive is willing to look at and discuss the city's plans in the hope of finding a mutually beneficial solution," he said.
In a letter to the city council last week, City Manager Terrence Moore said the city will reserve land adjacent to the northwestern landing zones if Skydive Sebastian decides to move its operation to the northwestern area of the airport.
Recently, the Sebastian city council voted to pass the airport master plan, which requires the moving of Skydive's landing zone to the northwestern part of the airport.
It was a move Skydive Sebastian officials initially objected to because they said it would inconvenience skydivers by making them travel 1,500 feet back to the main facility after a jump.
Skydive officials said the move would turn away potential skydivers and hurt Skydive Sebastian's business.
Skydive Sebastian officials also said it is important to have a landing zone adjacent to the skydive facilities to ensure Skydive Sebastian's survival.
The current drop zone is adjacent to the Skydive Sebastian facilities.
Jason Milewski, Sebastian Municipal Airport manager, said the northwest section of the airport has been deemed the safest spot by the Federal Aviation Administration for skydivers to land.
Milewski added it would be safer because skydivers won't be landing near the east-west runway when the runway is reopened.
City officials argue that leaving the drop zone where it is now would endanger skydivers because airplanes would be taking off and landing nearby.
~ FLORIDA TODAY
More articles in this category:
- Skydive Sibson re-launches as Skydive Airkix - by David Turner (Posted: 2008-01-14)
- Skyventure Wind Tunnel for Montreal - by (Posted: 2007-05-28)
- Iran's first Skydive Centre - by (Posted: 2007-05-18)
- SkyVenture Colorado on Track - by Mary SantAngelo (Posted: 2005-12-05)
- Skydive Arizona Files Lawsuit Against Skyride - by Betsy Barnhouse (Posted: 2005-09-14)
- SkyVenture Colorado Ground Breaking - by Norm Rosendale (Posted: 2005-06-27)
- World's Largest Wind Tunnel to Open in the UK this Summer - by Beverly Fairhurst (Posted: 2005-05-28)
- Skydive Arizona Tunnel Construction Underway! - by Axel Zohmann (Posted: 2004-11-08)