Mirage announces new reserve pilot chute
How it worksFigure 1 is of a Cypres cutter resting on top of the reserve pilot chute as mandated by our service bulletin. The Cypres cutter is between the pilot chute cap and the number 3 reserve flap after packed. With the cutter resting on top of the pilot chute cap it does not allow the number 3 flap to rest flush upon the pilot chute due to the thickness of the cutter and can cause a noticeable gap if the bulk of the packjob is not distributed properly.
Figure 2 is a picture of the new concave pilot chute cap from a direct side view. The cutter rests on top of the cap, but lower than the edge of the pilot chute cap and nestles down in the pocket of the coils allowng the number 3 flap to close flush with the cap.
Before and afterFigure 3 picture is of a G3 MZS packed without the concave pilot chute cap and with the reserve canopy bulk poorly managed. The length of the closing loop had to be lengthened 1/4 of an inch to accomodate for the Cypres cutter.
Figure 4 is the exact same rig with the same packjob with the bulk poorly managed with the new concave pilot chute cap. The closing loop had to be shortened 1/4 of an inch and as you can see the top flap rests very flush against the packjob.
But you said...We stand by our statement that it is entirely possible to make the pack job look normal without using the new pilot chute cap. The concave pilot chute is simply an aid designed to make the riggers job of making your container look as good as possible much easier. The new pilot chute cap is not absolutely necessary to achieve a pleasing appearance but we think it will help riggers in the field that are having difficulty doing so.
Your old pilot chute will still be perfectly acceptable for use and it is a good idea to have a spare reserve pilot chute and deployment bag in the event of a malfunction where you lose your equipment so you won't miss a single weekend while waiting for your new parts.
How do I get one?These are now our standard pilot chute that comes with each new rig order. If you purchased a Mirage container in 2005 you are eligible for a 20% discount off the cost of the reserve pilot chute. The price of the pilot chute is $100.00 We are not exchanging out old pilot chutes for the new design as it is not a necessity but only an aid. You can order your new pilot chute by clicking the link below to be directed to our spare parts order form. Simply fax in your order and we will get the pilot chute out to you or your rigger immediately. Mirage Systems
More articles in this category:
- Garmin Announces New Virb X and Virb XE HD Cameras - by Bryn De Kocks (Posted: 2015-04-14)
- Alti-Force Sensor Pack - GoPro Addon - by Dropzone.com (Posted: 2015-04-02)
- Squirrel Aura 2 Pre-Orders and Teaser - by Dropzone.com (Posted: 2015-03-20)
- Sony Announce Two New Action Cams - by Dropzone.com (Posted: 2015-01-14)
- Turned On by Hypoxic - by Dropzone.com (Posted: 2015-01-06)
- Performance Designs Announces New Valkyrie Canopy - by Dropzone.com (Posted: 2014-11-11)
- Introducing The Squirrel Snatch BASE Pilot Chute - by Dropzone.com (Posted: 2014-10-10)
- GoPro Hero 4 - Release Date and Specs Revealed - by Bryn De Kocks (Posted: 2014-09-29)