I don't wish Covid-19 on anybody. But because of everything that has happened this week, it's time for Republicans to check into the Reality Hotel, top floor, penthouse suite. Here is what has happened in the last 24 hours that spells D-O-O-M for them at the election...and finally is bringing people to action, especially when November 3rd arrives:
1) Trump directed Republicans today to abandon all negotiations regarding the latest Covid relief package, saying they can take up the issue again after he wins the election. (The underlined bit is a Trump quote.) He added he wanted Republicans to skip the relief for now, and confirm his Supreme Court nominee instead.
2) This disappointed a LOT of people, including certain schools, hospitals, and whoever and whatever is involved in receiving help through the relief package.
3) Within a couple of hours of this announcement, so many people tried registering to vote in Florida, that the website crashed and an announcement was made that the time to register will now be extended.
4) In five key battleground states, including Florida, instant polling showed that older voters were now deserting Trump in droves. The issue they named most was Trump's dumping of the negotiations. 66% of those polled were against the idea of Trump abandoning all possible relief assistance until after the election.
5) There have been some warnings issued about possible violence on Election Day.
6) My personal prediction is that voters are now going to turn out in numbers never before seen in recent history, and vote themselves right into both a Democratic President, as well as a Democrat controlled Senate.
7) This scenario may not be perfect, but I think most Americans will see it as better than the unbelievable nightmare that is going now.
8) Trump also tells another Big Lie today: He says about 100,000 people a year die from the flu anyway, so Covid is no reason to panic, and that the death rate from Covid and 'normal' flu is about the same. The TRUTH is that about 38,000,000 people get the flu every year in the US and of those, 22,000 people die from it, mostly the elderly or those with serious underlying conditions related to breathing or heart problems. With Covid, there have been 7,500,000 cases and 200,000 deaths. (approximately) Using that formula, if the US had 38 million people infected with Covid at the present rate, over a million Americans would be dead from it by now....NOT 22,000 as the flu does now. Trump is full of it, and Covid is MUCH more dangerous.
(By the way...the term 'The Big Lie' was invented by Nazi propaganda minister Joseph Goebbels. His theory was that if you tell a big enough lie...that people will believe THAT much more easily than they will a number of smaller lies.)
I'm tossing out some unsolicited advice.
If you still have a day job, make preparations NOW to take off work both Election Day and the day afterward.
If your state does mail-in voting like mine does, fill out your ballot the second you get it, and take it in person to your closest ballot drop-off box. Don't wait.
If your state does NOT do mail in voting, then prepare to stand in line and do your civic duty no matter WHAT. I won't tell you who to vote for. Just make sure you DO vote, and I don't care if you have to stand there in line until the sun comes up.
This is why I said you should take both Election Day off work, and the next day too. Just in case.