WickedWingsuits

What 3 things would you say?

This is a hypothetical scenario. Imagine that you were in a rush to leave the drop zone to go to a friends wedding in which you had a key role. On the way to the car park you bump into a jumper that is just arriving at the DZ. You notice they have a wingsuit with them. The suit is small in wing size and would be considered a beginner wingsuit. You know the jumper has over 200 jumps but has never received a FFC.

You only have enough time to give 3 brief statements of advice. What would they be?
Summer Rental special, 5 weeks for the price of 4! That is $160 a month.

Try before You Buy with Wicked Wingsuits - WingsuitRental.com

1. Don't jump it without proper instruction.
2. Don't jump it without proper instruction.
3. Don't jump it without proper instruction.
Skwrl Productions - Wingsuit Photography

Northeast Bird School - Chief Logistics Guy and Video Dork

The quality of many skydivers with 200 jump today seems lower than it was 10 years ago.

The way new skydivers approach wingsuiting today is often much less considered than those of the early years because wingsuits are more common and less scary.

The size of the wings is generally bigger and it's easier to get your hands on a suit.

While some people would be fine with your recommendation, some people would not. Hitting the tail could be bad for them and others, flying over the jump run, etc etc..

There are enough people around to give proper advice these days, it's not necessary to learn from their own mistakes.

1. Don't jump it without proper instruction.
2. Don't jump it without proper instruction.
3. Don't jump it without proper instruction.

I'm with Skwrl on this one.

I might also take an extra minute to tell the dzo/s&ta/manifest to keep an eye on the dude and make sure my advice gets listened to.

1) Talk to the DZO

2) Find someone who is already flying for some "small" instruction.

3) If you feel ready and confident, go for it relax and have fun. Call me next time you wanna jump if you are interessted in more instruction.

Even if I'm WS Coach I don't think the FFC is or should be mandatory. He has more than 200 jumps, is a grown up and have a beginer suit. If he wants to do it this way. I won't stop him BUT yes a FFC is better.
Fly better or die tryin`

Straight Fucking Edge !

Even if I'm WS Coach I don't think the FFC is or should be mandatory. He has more than 200 jumps, is a grown up and have a beginer suit. If he wants to do it this way. I won't stop him BUT yes a FFC is better.

Tell that to the pilot that has to deal with the body and/or damage to the airplane after the newbie hits the tail...

Me...I'll be late for the wedding.
or:
"Can you wait til me or one of the other coaches is available?"
"If that's a rental, they're not allowed until you demonstrate you've had an FFC with someone we recognize as a qualified coach."
"Talk to the school manager, he'll give you some options."

I know it was stated that this was a hypothetical situation but I can't help but think that this is like one of the many posts made by people looking for some one to give them the answer they are looking/rationalizing for to support their decission/actions after the fact.

I have been saying it for years, there are no shortcuts or shake and bake solutions to proper instruction be it wing suiting,canopy progression, FF, etc.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

I know it was stated that this was a hypothetical situation but I can't help but think that this is like one of the many posts made by people looking for some one to give them the answer they are looking/rationalizing for to support their decission/actions after the fact.

I have been saying it for years, there are no shortcuts or shake and bake solutions to proper instruction be it wing suiting,canopy progression, FF, etc.

It was 100% hypothetical...but I am interested to hear what situation I was trying to justify...i can't even imagine.

What if they got incredibly bad coaching without a pincheck or proper briefing instead from an extremely underqualified person who got on an instructors list via a simple email:P

As opposed to now, where they don't even have to get on a list?
Skwrl Productions - Wingsuit Photography

Northeast Bird School - Chief Logistics Guy and Video Dork

Yesterday when I awoke...for some reason it just crossed my mind that if I could give someone only 3 pieces of advice about wing suiting what would they be.

Kind of like how in relation to landing I often hear:

"Open area, Wings Level, Flare"

or in relation to a skydive:

"Pull, Pull on Time, Pull Stable".

What would it be in wing suiting...maybe:

"Exit closed, Fly off jump run, open high"?

I felt a hypothetical approach would get better answers as I already took the guess work out of it being a beginner suit and the person having 200 jumps. It's just an exercise to see what people think are the top priorities.

What I hear is get coaching. Fully agreed. So then from that coach what are the top 3 things if they could give only 3 pieces of advice.

This isn't for any course material I am preparing, or for the back of a business card to give my customers, just an interesting discussion around training and which parts of the message have to be given clearly versus some of the noise.

Yesterday when I awoke...for some reason it just crossed my mind that if I could give someone only 3 pieces of advice about wing suiting what would they be.

Kind of like how in relation to landing I often hear:

"Open area, Wings Level, Flare"

or in relation to a skydive:

"Pull, Pull on Time, Pull Stable".

What would it be in wing suiting...maybe:

"Exit closed, Fly off jump run, open high"?

I felt a hypothetical approach would get better answers as I already took the guess work out of it being a beginner suit and the person having 200 jumps. It's just an exercise to see what people think are the top priorities.

What I hear is get coaching. Fully agreed. So then from that coach what are the top 3 things if they could give only 3 pieces of advice.

This isn't for any course material I am preparing, or for the back of a business card to give my customers, just an interesting discussion around training and which parts of the message have to be given clearly versus some of the noise.

I would have thought make sure you're legstraps are on would be number one on the list...

I recommend taking a FFC from a Wingsuit Coach but ...

1) Practice your exit.
A) Don't jump up.
B) Don't open your wings.

2) Plant your flight.
A) Talk to the pilot.
B) Stay away from jump run.

3) Pull.
A) Pull high.
B) Pull stable.

Edit: Also add gear check, gear check, gear check.
"That looks dangerous." Leopold Stotch

As the question is about a mate rocking up to the DZ it would be go and find a coach, if it was my gran asking me to sum up the three most important things when it comes to wingsuiting then it would probably be...

- Make sure the gears on properly. i.e. legstraps
- Don't hit the tail
- Pull

(if there was a fourth option, i'd probably go for flight pattern/staying away from the line of flight - although that is less likely to result in a fatality than the first three)