Butters

What is wrong with ...

My exit weight...who cares..

Well, you and Butters certainly seem to care a lot about MY exit weight. Being a little hypocritical there, aren't you?

Of course, YOU aren't interested in selling suits, right?

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Need to go refill my popcorn...

I would prefer that you go get your computer and put together another video ... I've always enjoyed them and it's been to long!

Yeah, I know. I started grad school this year in addition to having a full time job... not much time for jumpy videos. I hope to make the drive down to Elsinore next month for the acro thing, but I can't even commit to that for sure.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

Need to go refill my popcorn...

I would prefer that you go get your computer and put together another video ... I've always enjoyed them and it's been to long!

Yeah, I know. I started grad school this year in addition to having a full time job... not much time for jumpy videos. I hope to make the drive down to Elsinore next month for the acro thing, but I can't even commit to that for sure.

I understand how that goes ... the combination of work, class, and being recently married has taken a toll on my free time. Looking forward to more videos in the future when you find the time! :)
"That looks dangerous." Leopold Stotch

I understand how that goes ... the combination of work, class, and being recently married has taken a toll on my free time. Looking forward to more videos in the future when you find the time! :)

Ha, I got married this summer too. That's another thing I forgot to mention.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

Haha.....I was already wasting time when I started replying to you...
Silly to think you'd be able to discuss this subject in a serious manner beyond your classroom theories;)

Which of the laws of physics don't apply to you, then?

Come back to this discussion once you grasp the difference between big suits in close proximity/docked formations at faster fallrates and smaller ones flown more optimal....have fun with your books, those out there flying seem to grasp the subject matter a lot better...
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Which of the laws of physics don't apply to you, then?

I know it pisses you off that when I lost 20 pounds of weight in 2010 I didn't buy a new suit from a dealer like you, but chose to wear my RW weight belt instead, so no commissions to a dealer.

Even wearing weight, my exit weight is still less than it was in 2009.

But that's the way it is. I'm not jumping a particularly large suit, it's a modified Mach 1. I have figured out that I only need one suit by doing it my way, jump with light people like Lurch, no weights. Jump with fat bastards, wear weights. I realize this pisses you off.

BTW, since you are undoubtedly heavier than I am, you WILL create more turbulence.

I think only Chuck Norris outsmarts physics.....you on the other hand have demonstrated many times not to be able to explain a real world example of physics at work when it comes to big suits vs small suits, and the turbulence/wake they generate.....

Find the applied physics missing in your high school theories about wingsuit flight, forget about the glider licence, and come back to lecture us (read: agree with us) when you finaly have a clue on what Butters and others already learnt ages ago by actually flying the wingsuits up close and personal to someone else.....;)

JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

I think only Chuck Norris outsmarts physics.....you on the other hand have demonstrated many times not to be able to explain a real world example of physics at work when it comes to big suits vs small suits, and the turbulence/wake they generate.....

Find the applied physics missing in your high school theories about wingsuit flight, forget about the glider licence, and come back to lecture us (read: agree with us) when you finaly have a clue on what Butters and others already learnt ages ago by actually flying the wingsuits up close and personal to someone else.....;)

Ha ha. SO you are Chuck Norris.

Noop...but you are unable to discuss the subject without thinking you need to buy another suit.

Every single time someone mentions they slalom better on their motorcycle, you have to bitch about your semi truck that can also do it.
Sadly that never leads to the actual conclussion 'we KNOW you dont want a second suit, BUT you do realise for a lot of stuff it WOULD have its advantages'. Which would be a much more interesting discussion than the crybaby plea about not wanting to buy another suit.

I truly could care less what you buy or don't but. I make an honest living working, and do this stuff for love of flying. Other people may sell their soul to commerce and worse to do this....but god...have the balls to bitch about that stuff....and stop crying about buying a suit. Talk about the subject...again...you CAN discuss a 747 vs Learjet without buying one....
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Your arguments are silly.

What EXACTLY do you think is the evil in extending fall rate range by use of weights?

Canopy pilots use weights as necessary to the event.
RW jumpers use weights as necessary to the event.
vRW jumpers use weights are appropriate to the event.
Full size glider pilots add ballast as appropriate to the event.
R/C model glider flyers use ballast as appropriate to the event.

Changing wing loading to adjust performance by use of weights is common in almost all branches of aviation that involve gliding in some way.

I can comfortably flock, no added weights, with a vertical fall rate between about 30 and 70mph, and with some discomfort up to about 85mph vertical speed. With 10 pounds of weights I can comfortably flock at 85mph vertical fall rate without having to change suit or bend my legs at a silly angle.

What EXACTLY is your problem with that?

Is just that you didn't think of it first?

(personally I think 80mph is an absurdly high fall rate for wingsuits, but I don't generally fly base).

What EXACTLY do you think is the evil in extending fall rate range by use of weights?

Okay...now with that out the way..and the following notes

• You dont have to buy another suit
  • you can fly whatever you want

Can you now, discuss the actual subject?
    Small vs Big wingsuits in close proxi,ity/docked formations.
    And how a huge suit is much harder to fly close to, than the cleaner airflow around a smaller one flown more optimal?

Make this not about you, or your wallet, education, glider licence or anything else. Just the same subject you've never actually managed to answer/discuss because you avoid the answr with the same dealer/sales/lead/bragging about education thing every single time..
    JC
    FlyLikeBrick
    I'm an Athlete?

Okay...now with that out the way..and the following notes

• You dont have to buy another suit
  • you can fly whatever you want

• Thank you.

Now maybe YOU will explain why the laws of conservation of momentum and energy don't apply to you and Butters.

And how a huge suit is much harder to fly close to, than the cleaner airflow around a smaller one flown more optimal?

Maybe you should work on your skills as well as your physics:P

I think Kallends script never has a level of excitement beyond your avg. boardroom meeting scene in an old episode of startrek....

No fun with popcorn. And though grounded in a lot of real physics, often not fully a reprentation of the real world we all live and fly in;):P

Engage!

JC
    FlyLikeBrick
    I'm an Athlete?

I think Kallends script never has a level of excitement beyond your avg. boardroom meeting scene in an old episode of startrek....

No fun with popcorn. And though grounded in a lot of real physics, often not fully a reprentation of the real world we all live and fly in;):P

Engage!

Right, physics has nothing to do with the real world. Nothing whatever to do with fluid dynamics, semiconductors, GPS systems, power generation, radio, satellites...

Nice picture attached of a wingsuit formation flown in close proximity with docks. See how they dealt with those pesky wings that make things so difficult for you.

Right, physics has nothing to do with the real world.

They do. Just a lot MORE factors come into play than the few you attribute to the flying. But nice one again bringing up a completely unrelated picture/event/licence in an effort to force this lost battle into your favour:P

Again..its simple....fly 2 phantoms next to eachother close. Fly 2 Xbirds/Venoms next to eachother close. And when talking close, I mean a few cm.

Guess with which one you will see people strugling to get closer to eachother due to the larger turbulence/wake around the suits.

Report back....;)
    JC
    FlyLikeBrick
    I'm an Athlete?

(Thinking) *Are you kidding? Thought you'd been in these forums longer than that, they're just getting started....*)

(Munching)
    You mow, (crunch crunch) Moo guys mipe (crunch crunch) gep a lill furver wiv thif debape...(crunch crunch crunch...gulp) if we all stuck to the point with a little less sniping.

Just sayin' arguing the merits of your position is more effective than taking a poke at the other guy.

I see merit in both sides of argument, but not sure one needs to "beat" the other. Arguing about the wake turbulence strikes me as kind of weak argument against weights. I've flown with big guys in suits up to X scale. Big guy in X is a lot more wake than Doc in any suit with or without weights.

I chose different suit last time I needed adjustment because it was conveniently available and the common sense solution to the problem. If there'd been no other suit to borrow, I would have resorted to snagging a weight belt off a friend instead.

Whats the big deal? Doc doesn't wanna have to keep a fleet of suits and uses weights to get more usable range out of his gear. Wheres the problem? I've seen formations trashed by people in the wrong suits, but never by a slightly jacked up wingsuit loading.

Maybe its just me but I don't see Doc's approach as being worth arguing against. I mean, Doc could avoid all this just by eating too much for awhile. He can gain 10 lbs, ditch the weights and nobody'll notice the difference except it'll make the antiweight side feel better. Strange. The arguments presented are mostly sound logic but the argument itself strikes me as somewhat irrational given the range of suits bodies and weights we fly with.
    -B
    Live and learn... or die, and teach by example.