even

Freefly pad for wingsuit?

(I know this thread maybe should have been posted in the gear section, but I would like to get the opinion from wingsuiters.)

I am going to order a new Vector rig next week, and I am wondering what to choose: freefly pad or hackey?

I am going to do 50/50 wingsuit and freefly, but what do you recommend? I have never used freefly pad before, but I believe it may be harder to get a grip while flying in a wingsuit.

A freefly pud is fine, I uised one for the last 500 wingsuits jumps out of 1000 wingsuit jumps. It is lighter than a hackey and I use a standard length bridel. the most important aspect to your wingsuit flying and deployment is the quality of your pitch. E.g throw the PC properly and have a close body position.

Cheers

Fraser
Dont just talk about it, Do it!

The issue is more how it is attached. If the handle is attached by a single point, like most hackeys are, the possibility of getting interesting knots in your bridle/pc go way up when wingsuiting. For wingsuiting, I like the little plastic tube the best, provided it's firmly attached at both ends to the pc. I don't have many jumps with pillow hadles so can't comment on how good those are for wingsuiting, but hackeys are not the best choice in any case.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

IMO a plastic pipe with 2 attachment points is the best option for wingsuit jumps. Hackeys are heavy and most people agree they are prone to cause knots on bridle/ PC. Freefly puds are usually light but some of them are so secure in the BOC that will require 2 movements for extraction (pull in/ out) due to the tabs. Just this extra movement or extra force applied could prejudice your symmetry a bit during pull time. Obviously the frefly pud is a much safer option for freeflying. Since I have 2 setups (canopy/ bag/ PC) for wingsuit/ freefly I used different handles on each one.
Engineering Law #5: The most vital dimension on any plan drawing stands the most chance of being omitted

The freefly pad(sic)/Handle works fine for wingsuiting as does a properly attached hackey and or PVC tube. Since you know you will be doing a fair deal of actual freeflying, it would be in your best interest to consider the freefly handle as your preferred choice. As with anything new that you introduce into your skydive, take the time on the ground to become familiar with how the handle feels in your hand with and without gloves on and of course, with your wingsuit on and the arm zipped up.

Something you might want to look at, as I use the UPT freefly handle on one of my rigs, that I found works for me. The handle has a piece of plastic sewn between the cordura that acts as a stiffener which is tucked under the lip of the container and keeps the actual handle secure and in place for freeflying. For wingsuit jumps I don't tuck that stiffener under the container flap but leave it out. The handle still stays in place and the exposed plastic gives you additional positive tactile feedback with or without gloves on. I found that with the stiffener in place under the container the pull was not as smooth as I like. However, on regular skydives I tuck the plastic under the container flap as designed. Hope that helps you out, stay safe. :)

"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Thanks for all response and good answers. I will go for the freefly pad/handle.

LouDiamond: I am going to order a Vector, and I have looked at the UPT freefly handle-solution that you mentioned. It looks really good, I will order that ;)

Thanks guys!

I jump a vector with a free fly pad on all my WS jumps and have never had a problem.

Additionally, order the extended bridle. Will have no affect on your FF jumps, but will help your WS deployments.

Double additionally, I can highly recommend the semi stowless bag option. Reduces the risk of line twists and make packing much quicker :)
Phoenix Fly - High performance wingsuits for skydiving and BASE
Performance Designs - Simply brilliant canopies

For wingsuit jumps I don't tuck that stiffener under the container flap but leave it out.:)

How could I forget this?!!:S In fact I used to do that a long ago when I was still doing some ff and did not have a 2nd setup. Today, the rare freeflying moments I have are in the tunnel:)
Engineering Law #5: The most vital dimension on any plan drawing stands the most chance of being omitted

For wingsuit jumps I don't tuck that stiffener under the container flap but leave it out.

With the greater risk we have of dislodging a pilotchute skuffling through a plane like special-needs children, Id definately recommend always tucking it in.

Ive used freefly puds on my previous wings and vortexII containers, and stil do on my Vector3, without ever any issue. Especialy when doing acro/docking and close proximity formation flying, its a vallueable safe addition to your skydive..
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Not tucking the FF tab in is no greater of a risk than a standard hackey or PVC tube that is exposed and subject to inadvertently being pulled out. A BOC in good condition and jumper situational awareness of their equipment prior to exit is part of normal maintenance and individual safety. Not tucking the FF tab in(for me) simply makes the pull smoother and not a two step process like Rolando described above.
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

The '2 step' action described is not realy one Ive ever used/noticed. Its one smooth move/pull when I deploy, even though the pilotchute is lodged in there tight/secure.

A simple brush past another jumper during freefall, exit or inside the plane can take any skydiver by surprise. Premature deployments have happened to the greatest of skydivers....nobody is immume to situations like that. Situational awareness or not, its not always under control on climbout etc. And even a pilotchute/BOC in pristine condition comes out easier, when brushed past in the 'right' direction. The more secure 'locked' position the pilotchute has when using the ff pud as intended, for me, is an added bit of security I quite like and can recommend using.
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

The '2 step' action described is not realy one Ive ever used/noticed. Its one smooth move/pull when I deploy, even though the pilotchute is lodged in there tight/secure.

A simple brush past another jumper during freefall, exit or inside the plane can take any skydiver by surprise. Premature deployments have happened to the greatest of skydivers....nobody is immume to situations like that. Situational awareness or not, its not always under control on climbout etc. And even a pilotchute/BOC in pristine condition comes out easier, when brushed past in the 'right' direction. The more secure 'locked' position the pilotchute has when using the ff pud as intended, for me, is an added bit of security I quite like and can recommend using.

+1

Just pull the pud and out it comes. I've only ever jumped one on my Vector 3, so perhaps other containers are different, but i've not noticed any different technique required to get the PC out
Phoenix Fly - High performance wingsuits for skydiving and BASE
Performance Designs - Simply brilliant canopies

I was recently encouraged to go for the FF pud as well. So I switched from a hackey/pod/raggedoutF111PC/6ft bridle to a FFpud/Mpod/ZepoPC/9ft brilde. In the beginning I thought that pulling out the pud would require more effort, but that turned out not to be the case. I have two lips on my FF pud, one goes under the container flap and one goes into my BOC, so it's very secure. Since I jump this new setup my openings have noticably improved and I love the heightened sense of security I get now that I know that my pud is secure. It makes actual flying much more fun since I don't have to worry about a premature opening when flying camera on my back under a formation for example. It improves safety for not just you but also for other people on that load/jump in my opninion.
"In a mad world, only the mad are sane"

+1

Just pull the pud and out it comes. I've only ever jumped one on my Vector 3, so perhaps other containers are different, but i've not noticed any different technique required to get the PC out

+2

In the last 1000 wingsuit jumps and all my skydives I have never made a two stage pull. One pull and my hackey, pud, pad or plastic tube has always been secure inside a decent BOC.
Dont just talk about it, Do it!

Something you might want to look at, as I use the UPT freefly handle on one of my rigs, that I found works for me. The handle has a piece of plastic sewn between the cordura that acts as a stiffener which is tucked under the lip of the container and keeps the actual handle secure and in place for freeflying. For wingsuit jumps I don't tuck that stiffener under the container flap but leave it out.

I tuck the stiffener back into the BOC. For skydivers that switch from WS to freefly should add a "status of the stiffener"-check into his "before every jump"-procedures.

I also see the problems Jarno stated and will rethink and train my pull sequence. But since I am a fat guy and jump big suits there is a lot of fabric back there.
To be honest: There have been jumps where I needed close to 1k ft to get the PC out. And I had these with both configurations of the handle's stiffener. But especially at winter time I prefer to fold the stiffener back into the BOC.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong.

Have always been a fan of the practice golf ball handle. Lightweight and it's round so it's easy to grab. I've had the pipe stick to my finger once.

Easy fix to prevent that is to cut a piece of a foam swoop noodle to fit flush inside the PVC handle. Little dab of some glue and put it in place and no more fingers in the PVC tube and you still have a handle thats lighter than a standard hackey.
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING