salomon767

Whats a good price for a GTi?

I have tried searching for an average price of a used birdman gti but havent really come up with any answers. I also tried to look up the price of a new one when they were still being manufactured but couldnt find anything either. Lets just say its a suit with no damage and has 50-100 jumps on it. Any input is appreciated!

Renting a suit for 10 bucks per jump, and doing 20 or so jumps on it, isnt gonna be much cheaper. Plus he or she can sell that same GTI later, or save it for friends to fly with who dont have their own suit yet.

Nothing wrong with buying an older suit, and doing a double dozen or more jumps on it, to learn to fly their body. Feel what the suit does. What the wings do. And than move up to another suit (in which case ´bigger´ isnt always better).

I know plenty of people who own big suits, that would SO benefit flying something more aimed at beginners for a while....learn to fly that maxed out, instead of owning a big one they always fly at 50% or less..
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Nothing wrong with buying an older suit, and doing a double dozen or more jumps on it, to learn to fly their body. Feel what the suit does. What the wings do. And than move up to another suit

Funny how nobody mentioned option 'C', buy the GTI for a good price, and fly and enjoy the suit. There's no requirement for moving up, getting a bigger suit, or being on the cutting edge of anything. Last time I checked, the GTI is a real wingsuit, and a new pilot could probably jump for a long time and have a ton of fun with.

Look at the OPs profile, his profession is listed as 'student' and he jumps a Sabre1 as a main canopy. A $1000 jumpsuit may not be in his future, but a $300 suit might be just the ticket for him.

Depending on where you jump, and with whom, option C is not really a realistic one, once you start flying with others.
Though suits such as Classics, GTi´s etc are great suits to learn to fly, any mid/range flock with current day suits wil be flying at speeds beyond what those suits can do. A skyflyer3, if one is not built like an anvil, seems to do fine for that. But on a GTi, you´ll definately be strugling.

That said, the skills one wil aquire in a cheap beginner suit such as a classic or GTi all carry over to whatever suit they end up jumping after. Be it also a mid to (former' high-end) wingsuit model, or a newer modern wingsuit (with added perks such as inflation on the back).

But suits currently ranked ´intermediate´ do seem to be the most viable option for a suit that is great for any flock, solo or bit of acro (regardless of brand)
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Thanks for the responses everyone! Yes i am a student and although i would love to buy a new suit, its not practical for my budget. Im looking at the GTi because i have heard its a good suit to learn on and pretty reasonably priced. I wont be ready to jump a wingsuit for a few more months but was curious on what price range i should be looking for so if one does pop up on DZ.com for the right price i can go ahead and pick one up.
(PS I love my sabre1. Just sold my sabre1 170 and picked up a sabre1 135 :)

There is a GTi advertized in the DZ.COM classified for $425 with 30 or so jumps on it. I have a GTi with about 75 jumps on it and I would be willing to knock off $100 or so dollars from the asking price of the one advertized since my WS has more than twice as many jumps on it. My suit is a white body with red wings. Send me a PM if you want to talk. I don't have a picture of the suit right now, but I do have a video where you can see the GTi being jumped at the beginning of the video. Oh and yeah my suit is like the one advertized, it will fit someone in the 5'9" to about 6'0" range (I am 5'10").

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

(PS I love my sabre1. Just sold my sabre1 170 and picked up a sabre1 135 :)

That's some pretty aggressive downsizing at just over 100 jumps.

Spend the $ on jumps and worry about WS at a later date. The sky will always be there.

Stay safe.
Phoenix Fly - High performance wingsuits for skydiving and BASE
Performance Designs - Simply brilliant canopies

The 170 was my own personal canopy, then i started jumping my friends 150 and i had to give it back. I have made my last 20 jumps on a demo 135 and feel confident i can fly it.The spot on my last jump was way off and i even had to land off DZ and i had to land in a tiny field next to a forest which further assured me that i could fly the canopy. I'll be loading this canopy at 1.2

thanks for the tip! Anyone else have prices on a GTI??????????????

What size GTI? If you can't find one in the classifieds, your best chance is if someone reading this thread offers to sell their old one. If you post what size suit you are looking for there may be a chance of that happening.

300 to 400 often gets you newer suits if you look around. P1, Prodigies etc. Several friends of mine just bought mint condition classics and GTIs for prices of 100 to 120 euros. Its gear thats 8 to 10 years old...

Id say 400 is quite steep....
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Which means you're loading that new canopy at closer to 1.3

Seriously. Don't worry about buying a wingsuit yet. You're still a long way off flying one, so why not wait until you're ready, do an FFC and see if WS flying is actually for you. You may not even like it.

Again, spend the $ on jumps and worry about about buying a wingsuit in another 100 or so jumps when you've actually given it a go.

Stay safe.
Phoenix Fly - High performance wingsuits for skydiving and BASE
Performance Designs - Simply brilliant canopies

Which means you're loading that new canopy at closer to 1.3

I did it the same way and downsized from a PD 9cell 210sqft to a Sabre2 with 170sqft loading it about the same.

Been there, tried it, declared it stupid in my case! Just sprained an ankle that bound me to the ground for 3 weeks. But I could just have been less lucky.

I'd say - enjoy a 150 canopy, have fun and don't care about buying a suit now. It will just get older until you can use it. So let it get older in an other guy's attic and buy it a few bucks cheaper next year. ;)
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong.