Butters

Acrobatics

I was wondering if anyone else is doing acrobatic stuff? I do a lot of solos so I've been playing with "roller coaster" dives (flips, rolls, spins, carves, flairs, etc...). Lately I've been working on a head down cork screw ... makes solos a lot more fun!

PS: If you're going to do head down then you need to be aware of tandems as your speed will exceed theirs.
"That looks dangerous." Leopold Stotch

Try a forward loop while rotating onto your back. Simple, but fun. Keeping heading isn't so simple.

do you mean something like fly straight, and dive dive dive till you fly the other way round, on your back ? Like a half inverted looping ?
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

I think he's talking about a much more compact maneuver. Combine a barrel roll with a front flip. I've sorta done that as a result of recoiling backwards off my tail out of a 3/4 front loop and initiating a twist roll halfway through that. It ended up being a snap shortcut back to stable flight out of what would otherwise have been a standard symmetrical reversed front loop.

Although I can repeat the maneuver by daisychaining the two moves, interrupting the first into the second making it a combo, its actually too fast for me to deliberately stage and coordinate it yet. I just have to twist sideways at what I think is the right moment and let my reflexes manage the rest. If I get the timing right I finish on-heading, if not, I've just launched myself in some random direction and I have to stop and reorient.
-B
Live and learn... or die, and teach by example.

Ha, I remember telling Tony (Butters) that I was going to do a back loop in a WS. Lets just say I got very good at transitioning into a sit with my suit. If someone has any tips on pulling off a back loop in a wingsuit I am all ears. :D Butters, hopefully those solos diminish soon!

Sky Canyon Wingsuiters

what suit were you wearing? the more tailwing you have, the more momentum you need to give to your aerobatic maneuvers, both forwards and backwards.

which is super important to remember if you ever try to do a docked front (or back) flip with someone else... totally doable and fun to play with, but if one person has a more tail-draggy suit than the other, it can get super sketchy halfway through...

Push with your chest and armwings (agressive) tuck knees to chest, bend legs.
Hold it untill you're almost completely through, open op again. Harder to do without altitude loss than frontloops.

Did them this weekend. I think you were missing one step ...

Hold it untill you're almost completely through, open op again. Harder to do without altitude loss than frontloops.

I was only talking about a normal frontloop (without altitude loss) not the backfly transition via a frontloop...that involves some asymetry in legs/arms as well Id guess (havent tried that intentionaly yet)
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

I was only talking about a normal frontloop (without altitude loss) not the backfly transition via a frontloop...that involves some asymetry in legs/arms as well Id guess (havent tried that intentionaly yet)

I thought you were referring to a backloop in which case you forgot a step. Dive, flair, throw head back, bring knees together and to chest, ...

Uploaded the footage of Butters completing a backloop. Also, a quick little blip of some rare jumpable cloud over the upper midwest.

http://vimeo.com/28696443

Thanks to Spot for providing the video hosting venue.

thank you, this is beautiful. My goal is to do the same....
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

Another kind of acrobatics to be done when you share a plane with freeflyers :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAySr5W96Fk

lot of fun :-)

-- Sylvain

While that hitchhiking is admittedly quite cool B|, I personally don't like the cheststrap being used as a "grip", same with "hangers" on a VRW jump. There's so much force onto the cheststrap, at angles it was not made for, plus it distorts the entire harness.

I dunno if anyone ever had problems resulting from this, but like I said, it's something I personally am weary of doing... I would be interested to hear how others feel about this.

ciel bleu,
Saskia