mccordia

The Need 4 Speed: Cruise Control

I just put the first teaser online for a new series of edits about to be released by Phoenix-Fly.

http://www.vimeo.com/28298377

In about 2 weeks, we will post a longer trailer showing a lot of the awesome jumps JeanNoel, Robert, Ludo, Arnaud and Edo have been making the past months. The last two days it's been a joy to sit in front of my (rather large) computer screen and watch all of the rough footage.

Even a trailer cut of a few minutes doesnt do the footage justice, which is why we're working on an actual longer docu where several of the N4S teammembers such as Robert, JNO and Ludo wil talk about the jumps they did. The preperation, the suits they fly and how the jumps where filmed, planned etc. with a lot of longer segments showing a lot of the jumps from start to end in multiple viewpoints.

For now...enjoy this new PF short!
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Flying overs someones trail before deployment? It's just stupid.

No it isnt...flying BEHIND someones trail before deployment is stupid, when its NOT planned. Robert watches for Ludo and vice-versa before they deploy. They do this same move on several jumps.

But glad you could find something negative in something positive:P:D
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

It's hard to say how fast that was... :)

I think it is pretty close to "LUDICROUS SPEED"

Colonel Sandurz: Prepare ship for light speed.
Dark Helmet: No, no, no, light speed is too slow.
Colonel Sandurz: Light speed, too slow?
Dark Helmet: Yes, we're gonna have to go right to ludicrous speed.

scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

Its not zoomed in, just shot with a very narrow lens/FOV. The footage Ludo shot was only cropped to Cinemascope while the original footage is normal widescreen. So the sides of the screen are the original edges of the image (-2% or so for some stabilizing) and you miss a small portion on the top/bottom ( I liked the more focussed/narrow image.

The last few PF videos all used this wider screen dimension. Feels more cinematic..B|

End of next week I hope to finish the full trailer, and after that we're heading to Croatia/Italy/Slovenia to shoot some interviews with Robi, Ludo, JNO etc for the full documantary we're working on..

If people have certain questions/things they want to know about PF, planning, flying etc send me a PM
and we'll try and work it into the interview!

JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

No it isnt...flying BEHIND someones trail before deployment is stupid, when its NOT planned. Robert watches for Ludo and vice-versa before they deploy. They do this same move on several jumps.

What do you expect? We both know you did a great job. B|

If people have certain questions/things they want to know about PF, planning, flying etc send me a PM and we'll try and work it into the interview!

My first questions to PF-staff is: how looks the future of the wingsuit flying in consideration of limitation for plane surface by human body? Is wingsuit technology currently on limit of performance or not?

The future isn't just add as much surface area as possible!
Progress will require thinking outside the box, I think the video itself shows that this is not a problem. ;)

Flights in this video are possible with the drag of a chest strap, just imagine what's possible when they wake up and address this pressing issue!

What do you say if I quote you about this when I teach someone for wing suit flying?:S

There are rules written in blood in this sport.
Once thing is getting there unintentional, but doing it on purpose and even advertising?
That is the part the anyone can do with a wing suit on.:S

In that position and distance its just bind luck if you fly into a deploying canopy or not. It is something like follow a car on the motorway in 5 meters with the speed of 130 km/h.

Do you need someone dying for some nice frames in a video before you agree that was the dumbest thing?

I'd rather watch 2 living heros flying than read about 2 dead legend.

You did a great job on editing, although I do _not_ want to see that part published.

If you fly with someone else then you'll probably fly behind someones trail at some point. Is that stupid? Depends on the circumstances ...

It was not about just flying in someones trail....
Please try to read the whole text and watch the video. Time: 1min 15sec.

If you fly with someone else then you'll probably fly behind someones trail at some point. Is that stupid? Depends on the circumstances ...

It was not about just flying in someones trail....
Please try to read the whole text and watch the video. Time: 1min 15sec.

If the plan was for Robert to watch for Ludo before deploying then Ludo wasn't flying in Robert's trail before deployment ... please just try understand the plan.

Edit: If the plan is to break off at 4k and deploy at 3k then flying behind someones trail above 4k isn't stupid but flying behind someones trail below 4k is. It's why you plan the dive and dive the plan!
"That looks dangerous." Leopold Stotch