grayhghost

Tonysuits can fly up!

Finaly a video plays at the original speed...and than we get this thing....:P

All jokes aside, really such a shame to see such nice video not take center-stage just by itself...it doesnt need all that additional hoopla....

JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

I think the future is bright for positive lift in wingsuits. Mere days ago it was stated as fact that

even 150 mph dives in all of paralogs tracks with V's, X's, Apaches and more, dont show a climb or even a second of possitive lift after much longer/harder diving.

and now the impossible is possible as the resident expert of GPS wing suit tracking shows that

we see the rising elevation--still with fairly large error bars. However, the vertical speed drops below zero by an amount larger than the estimated speed error. Ideally, I'd like to see a little more room above the error bar, just to be sure, but I would say based on this data that Oliver flew upward for about one second.

Michael

If such progress is possible in only three pages of banter, imagine what the coming weeks, months or even years hold.

I may be missing something, but the tracks show exactly what was stated.
A 'maybe' positive lift for a mere second. There had been (browse dz.com) cases of one or so seconds of climb reported by Visa before.

The arguement was not about that being possible, but moreso about Matts claim (aside from the jagged GPS track showing few waypoints) not showing the same speeds/agressive dive as those PPC tracks, yet a mere optical illusion of climbing thats visable in quite a few videos.

As you say...the coming years may show such progress (climbing, low above ground) but even your writing suggests you may have changed oppinions on whay whas 100% fact in your first post.

I LIVE progress, but do think fact and fiction should stay seperated when it comes to celebrating achievements.

Its a great video...
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

. . . and I'm sure a PF Venom would have as well, the thermals were strong that day.

http://vimeo.com/28187656

A pretty impressive display of agility, speed and downright sexiness.

aaaarghh! I can't belive some of you are pros! everyone knows that flying up can only be achieved by flapping the armwings very hard. Did you see Matt flap his armwings??? No! So all the discussion here is useless, he was defenitly not flying upwards then! It's not rocket science, it's 2nd grade physics!
Michi (#1068)
hsbc/gba/sba
www.swissbaseassociation.ch
www.michibase.ch

This sec or so altitude gain is as best as Micheal can tell based on his knowledge of the GPS systems. One can choose to use that info to validate your own beliefs or wait for more evidence.

I would like to see a video of this wingsuit going up relative to a descending canopy(camera). Should make a popular video.

Even if it is possible to climb for 1 sec following a 15 sec dive, or in a short 5 sec segment of a cliff line(where people would have to sacrifice more altitude than they can gain to get to that area of thermals, this isn't a game changer. People will still fly other vehicles if they want to make meaningful use of the various forms of lift available in nature.

If people want to jump at sites with super strong thermals and wind concentration due to mountain topography(?), there is a cliff(1224m elevation...over 1000m usable with good wingsuit flight) in India I visited in 07, where at any point during a sunny day(except dawn and dusk), water poured over the edge makes a U-turn in front of our eyes and disappears skyward. There is a video of this online somewhere.

I reply to "f people want to jump at sites with super strong thermals and wind concentration due to mountain topography(?), there is a cliff(1224m elevation...over 1000m usable with good wingsuit flight) in India I visited in 07, where at any point during a sunny day(except dawn and dusk), water poured over the edge makes a U-turn in front of our eyes and disappears skyward. There is a video of this online somewhere. "

Nice pick up.

One possible future of wingsuiting would see us accessing sites like this during ideal conditions specifically to catch those thermals/updraughts.

For this to work the updraughts would have to be nice and steady and well spread over a large area.
Hopefully the out would be a nice calm valley to fly down into and land.

Wingsuiting 2050? India leading the wayB|

In conlusion, 2 cases so far 'may' have had wingsuit fly up (after diving speeds far exceeding what we saw in the OPs link), if GPS fluctustions can be interpreted as 100% accurate.

Agreed people shouldnt immiately yell 'brand/hate' when someone doesnt agree with the gospel sung:P

JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Seriously? Back to the brand thing?

Actually I was the only one that didnt name brands discussing the flying aspects of flaring. Unlike the thread title, and the comments when somebody (me) questioned the results. It always seems to be the easy way out, instead of discussing the actual flying or (as in other threads) improvement of skills...
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Seriously? Back to the brand thing?

Actually I was the only one that didnt name brands discussing the flying aspects of flaring. Unlike the thread title, and the comments when somebody (me) questioned the results. It always seems to be the easy way out, instead of discussing the actual flying or (as in other threads) improvement of skills...

+1
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

Straw man fallacy

No evidence of upward flying in this video or GPS plot. It doesn't even look likely.

At this stage with such a litany of grossly false claims you really should be sure of your data before making more. Unless misleading your potential customers is the point?

did you like the video ? I did :)
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM