michalm21

DZs near London

Thanks, I will look at the link but will also specify my previous post typed fairly quickly.

Anyone I know here jumps near London? Decent vibe and easy commute (car pool) to the DZ?

If I have to look at all the DZs and randomly pick one based on reviews I won't even bother bringing my rig :P
Wanna see who on this forum jumps not too far from London.

Thanks!

You have a few options, though none are amazingly close to London (despite what they're called!).

Sibson - Or UK parachuting as it's now called is 46 mins on the train from Kings cross, then a 10 minute cab journey from the station, though there are often people driving up from London, so you could share with them.

It's my home DZ and there are quite a few WSers if that's your thing, if not there's a good mix of FF and RW.
Phoenix Fly - High performance wingsuits for skydiving and BASE
Performance Designs - Simply brilliant canopies

As Zeemax says, Sibson. I have been going up there for a few months now (Around a 2 hour drive for me in West London - with coffee stops and no speed limit breakages), mainly as there seems to be a steady attendance of WSers up there. There is also good quality FF... not sure of the RW side, but seems to be good attendance all round. They cater very well for the jumper, and its a pretty slick operation. Good bunch of guys/gals up there.

There is a FB page that has car pooling requests etc.

What piifish said, a lot of dzs close around october-november, but if you are going to be in London, look up London Skydivers on facebook or yahoo groups, they meet up every 4th Thursday of the month, and is usually a good place to meet fellow skydivers for beer and meet people for carpools.

Edit to rephrase: close sometime around oct-nov and reopen around feb
Some dream of flying, i live the dream...

september to december ?
Ryanair to Girona -> Empuriabrava :D

Thanks everyone!
I will check everything out, but I like piisfish's suggestion! Will definitely try to catch one of the cheap airlines and go to warm places on weekends when London weather turns into crap!
Will also visit Sibson.

Cheers! B|

For best choices near London, my picks are:

Hinton www.skydive.co.uk
Sibson www.skydivesibson.co.uk
Netheravon www.netheravon.com

Hinton is about an hour drive and Sibson about 1.5 hr drive (from SW/Chelsea area of London). As noted, more wingsuiting at Sibson. I’d give special mention to Netheravon, but it is a more military vibe (fair as it is a military base) but also about 1.5 hr drive.

Also, as "Piisfish" noted, Empuriabrava is the best dropzone in Europe and only a two hour flight (though limited to the soul-destroying experience of flying RyanAir). Re how to get to the dropzones, Europe is known for excellent & reasonably priced train infrastructure; unfortunately this does not apply to the UK.

Attached is a Google Earth file with locations.
"Pain is the best instructor, but no one wants to attend his classes"

I wouldn't argue with any of the above suggestions. If you wake up(has to be early) on a weekend day and suddenly decide to make a jump. SD Headcorn is the easiest to get to using public transport if you are in central London. There may not always be another wing suit pilot there but there be someone there whose arm you may be able to twist to make them join you.

Actually, we have a surprising number of wingsuiters down at Headcorn, of varying abilities.

I guess you won't have a car; given that you can travel to Headcorn in 50 mins on the train from London Bridge / Charing Cross, and either walk (it's not that far) or call for a ride to the DZ, it's definitely the easiest.

Richard
--
BASE #1182
Muff #3573
PFI #52; UK WSI #13