abean3

First wingsuit?

Well I am wanting to order my first wingsuit and wanted to get some expert advise from some of you seasoned veterans. I am interested in either a Tony suit or a Pheonix Fly, but can not decide. I am about to break 200 jumps and am assuming with the current production times will have closer to 225 or so when i finally get it.

I want a good all around suit that i can not only learn on, but also progress so i am not really interested in one of the beginner suits. I want to be able to fly with groups but also fly acrobatics with time.

Also I am a larger jumper at 6'3 and 235 so I need something that will be good for someone my size.

I was looking at a Tonysuit T-bird or R-bird as well as a Phantom 2.

So what do you all think? Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated!

Yeah i figured someone would say something to that effect. But i have looked through the forums and found very little info for some one my size looking for a new wingsuit. All i see are 5'8, 155 and there is a little bit of a difference there.

I'm of a similar size and weight to you so was in your predicament when I had lower jump numbers and was thinking about a suit...

your screwed!!

i would, got to a wingsuit event, save all your cash, and fly as much as possible on as many different wings as possible.

Then buy a v4 :)

The bigger you are, the bigger the wings!....lol.

In the USA you are potentially lucky enough to be able to do first flights with either brand - Flock U and Pheonix Fly (Mr DSE etc.) plus many others. Don't forget being able to hire a suit with Wicked Wingsuits or tracking down an old (different) secondhand suit to start.

Hence, you really have a chance to try before you buy, all be it you might end up in a hired/borrowed TS Intro or PF Phantom first of all. Speak to a few different Instructors face-to-face, a) to find who you want to do a FFC with, and, b) get their opinions on the brand.

There really isn't any need to rush at the 200 jump mark and I speak from experience!

There is also the Pheonix Fly Shadow, if you like having your hands free although the the Phantom can be flown without holder the grippers.

I found the Shadow & T-Brid very easy to fly (although am a bit shorter and lighter - 5'11 & 180+). Both have a good engine (leg wing) in my opinion and the shadow having a more balanced arm wing. The Phantom is the only PF suit I haven't jumped but is very nice and similar. I could imagine that you might progress through a T-Bird quicker than a PF suit but that's a guess and could still be 30-100 jumps say (i.e. wanting to get better times and speeds).

Be safe & have fun!

Ross: An S-FLY PILOT
www.gathhelmets.co.uk
www.flyyourbody.com

Don't buy a wingsuit you haven't flown. Try out each of those models and then choose the one you like the most. Sales folks from all of the suit manufacturers will be happy to have you try their products. Don't rely on Internet advice - except this advice - to choose a brand because (particularly on dropzone.com) there are too many people with agendas or axes to grind.

Good luck!
Skwrl Productions - Wingsuit Photography

Northeast Bird School - Chief Logistics Guy and Video Dork

Aaaaarrrggghhh, having just collected the pieces of my exploded head from around the room.

Look at the manufactures websites, read their information, talk to a local wingsuit coach/instructor and then make a decision.

This....
Buying a wingsuit before you've flown one, before you've gotten training isn't smart.
I have suits from both TonySuits and PF in our wingsuit stable, should you be able to come to Skydive Elsinore.

Either way...get training, try a coupla suits before you buy.

Thanks to all for the input.

I am taking the first flight course this weekend and starting with a Phantom 2. We'll see how that goes.

Soooo... How'd it go?
Phoenix Fly - High performance wingsuits for skydiving and BASE
Performance Designs - Simply brilliant canopies

Well it was awesome. It felt natural and I didn't have any difficulties with exit, flight, or deployment. I know I probably only used 10% of the suits ability but the basic flying was great. My coach did recommend a bigger suit for my weight but I really enjoyed the phantom. B|

I plan on flying more suits as I get the opportunity and will probably make several more jumps in the phantom.

Any thoughts on the R bird and Ghost 3?

My coach did recommend a bigger suit for my weight but I really enjoyed the phantom. B|
[...]Any thoughts on the R bird and Ghost 3?

Start with a smaller suit - learn on it and go bigger later (do 100 jumps or so on the intermediate suit). The Ghost is a very nice suit but you will fly it better after a few hundred jumps on a Phantom.

Do some acrobatic flying in the Phantom - it ROCKS!
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong.

Well it was awesome. It felt natural and I didn't have any difficulties with exit, flight, or deployment. I know I probably only used 10% of the suits ability but the basic flying was great. My coach did recommend a bigger suit for my weight but I really enjoyed the phantom. B|

First, congrats on the first flight!
Second, don't worry about changing up suits any time soon. The P2 has by far the greatest range of any suit out there. It is my #1 go-to suit in most situations whether flocking or with students. If I'm backflying a base, I like the Ghost 3, but that's because it's easier for me to go slower on my back while maintaining vertical speed.

IMO, it's crazy how coaches try to get people into bigger suits sooner than later. Look at 95% of the pix out there; you see big suits folded flying up even when flying next to each other. :S
Further, generally a bigger suit makes for a lazier flyer. One of the Swiss guys visiting Elsinore is flying a P2 @220lbs. He is keeping up with (and occasionally over shooting/floating) the flocks with no problem. He is flying verticals with no problems. And he's flying the suit rather than counting on more aircells and bigger surface to keep his ass in the sky.

http://27.media.tumblr.com/v6rsP0LfonhsbohipuCy1SSjo1_500.png Notice in this pic, the small suits are laid out/flying while the big suits are folded up? Drive a Ferrari or a Peterbilt.

Stay on a smaller suit (IMO) and learn to actually fly your body instead of letting the suit do most of the work. You'll be much more talented in the end.

Why not rent a Phantom2 and get really good with it before your's gets to you........Just for the record, last year my Shadow took 14 weeks ( that's 3 months and 2 weeks ) from order to delivery......no special colors....just orange.....:S....just be ready for it.

Life is short ... jump often.

If you want to wingsuit this coming weekend we can get a T Bird to you before the end of this week. I don't think there is enough difference between these suits that you would pick up any unbreakable bad habits.

Just fill in the quote request at :

WingsuitRental.com
Summer Rental special, 5 weeks for the price of 4! That is $160 a month.

Try before You Buy with Wicked Wingsuits - WingsuitRental.com

I would definately rent a Phantom if it was available. The only rentals i have seen are the wicked suites which are all tony suits.

Does anyone know of a place that rents Phoenix Fly suits?

I replied last night that we have suits we can help you with as soon as this weekend. Not sure where the post went but we still have suits!
Summer Rental special, 5 weeks for the price of 4! That is $160 a month.

Try before You Buy with Wicked Wingsuits - WingsuitRental.com