Grubber

Sabre 1 + WS

I recently downsized from a PD 170 (WL = 0.82) to a Sabre 1 150 (WL=0.93). I hear all sorts of horror stories about people’s heads snapping off during opening with these canopies. I’m a meticulous packer and do not deploy from full flight. Is it possible to jump this canopy with a wingsuit and NOT have my skeleton shatter into a million pieces upon deployment?

Ive got quite a few jumps on Sabre1 (using my GF's canopy/rig) without any issues, on full flight openings or normal slow-down-and-drop deployments. Also know several people jumping one with WS without problems...some swear by a certain canopy, others hate it....for me, the Sabre1 isnt my ideal canopy, but certainly one dont mind jumping.

For more info on the subject check here as well..
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

I recently downsized from a PD 170 (WL = 0.82) to a Sabre 1 150 (WL=0.93). I hear all sorts of horror stories about people’s heads snapping off during opening with these canopies. I’m a meticulous packer and do not deploy from full flight. Is it possible to jump this canopy with a wingsuit and NOT have my skeleton shatter into a million pieces upon deployment?

I got a sabre 1 specifically because it is a GREAT wing-suit canopy. Almost trash pack it for wingsuit jumps(flake stabilizers only), no slider mods opens great every time usually even on heading. For non-wing-suit i roll some cells into the middle and bury the nose. Just make sure that slider is up tight against the stops every-time!!! 1.3 wingload. Theres a few others around the DZ that swear by sabre 1's for wingsuit also.

I have a Sabre1 135 and 150 loaded at 1.6/1.45 for WS. I have jumped the Sabre since getting my first rig and got used to what I consider a positive opening. Others might say hard if they are used to a Spectre's long snivel. Love them for their openings as they are normally on heading. If you have line twists, they tend to fly nice and stable without diving. I just shove the nose in a bit w/o rolling it.

If you want a dedicated main on a tight budget, the Sabre1 is hard to beat.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

I swear by em myself. Basic Sabre 135, 28 inch PC, no mods, flake it and stuff it, very small line bites, 1/3 of the lineset freestowed in 3 neat coils on bottom of container, packed grommet up. Zero twists in 1000 jumps, quick but not brutal openings at wingsuit speeds and I scrunch up wicked small after the throw to make sure the PC clears an S-Bird sized burble.
Quite possibly the best WS canopy around, although you may find a modern canopy as good with some trial and error. I recently picked up another cheap used 135 just so I have a spare.
-B
Live and learn... or die, and teach by example.

Sabre is my choice for wingsuit, I own a bunch of them, don't worry about wingloading. Be concerned with good consistent packing, pay special concern to pulling the slider way out in front of the nose and make sure that line trim is good. Plenty of wingsuiters use old Sabres, they swoop pretty well too.
Sometimes you eat the bear..............

Got about 550-600 WS jumps on my Sabre 1 without any problems and any chops...
And the Sabre 1 hard openings is a legend developed by the poor packers...
Go for it! I'd recommend Sabre 1 or Spectre as best WS canopies...

3,2,1,C-YA!!!
V.
BASE #1075 / BMI #I-002 / PFI #042 / EGI #104

Got a 135 loaded at 1.6. I got a bigger slider when i was doing camera jumps. You can almost throw it in the bag and it will open (i do flake stabilizers, and do nothing to the nose on every jump, WS or not). Ive pulled in full flight and while collapsed, its a very easy canopy for wingsuiting.
Some dream of flying, i live the dream...

I have been jumping a Sabre1 for the majority of my skydiving career. I love it for wingsuiting due to its flight characteristics when in line twists and general flying. My one complaint is in turbulence it can be a bit unruly. Also, for the money they are a great WS canopy. I made some small slider mods, because I jump with fairly large camera setup. All in all a good setup. I will be jumping my 150 Sabre 1 until it is ragged out.
Sky Canyon Wingsuiters