nickfrey

Ballon vs. Parapack

I'm not sure that anyone has any stats on that. I've always used parapack (TonySuits Raptor and S-Bird) but I'm getting a P2z that is balloon. Parapack is definitely thicker and weighs more. I know that when my S-Bird inflated it felt like a solid wing. I'd like to see more side by side testing done with stuff like this (same suit, same pilot, different materials).

I have two P2's that are identical in every way excepting the cutaway and the fabric. I personally prefer Parapack; it feels more solid. However, some folks like the feel of "naked" with the balloon.
It would be a stretch to say that there is any noticable performance difference.

• Durability is one difference. The parapak will behave better when it comes to wear and tear.
  • In terms of weight, especially on the bigger suits, the difference between parapak and Zero-P can add up. Though for some a difference of 200 to 400 gram isnt much, hiking up a mountain for a few hours, any weight you can save helps.
  • In terms of drag, parapak has a bit more drag than the smoother Zero-P material. Though its probably something thats more allong the lines of only a few percent, for some its a big thing.
  • In terms of movement, the fabric is a bit more sturdy and rough. Zero-P is a bit smoother to move around in. I have two Shadows, one my own (ZeroP) and one demo (Parapak) and to me the ZeroP one is what I prefer in terms of 'feel'. Though that may more be a personal preference than an actual difference between the two...
  • Parapak allows for very stick embroidery etc. where in ZeroP embroidery tends to weaken/pre-score the material.
    JC
    FlyLikeBrick
    I'm an Athlete?

there is no doubt, ZeroP feels more like you're "at one with the wind." Especially when it's hot and a little bit of sweat is in there...you feel the wind much more than you feel the fabric.
    When I get back to S'nore, I'll do flysight runs back to back with the two suits and see, but I'd be shocked if there were any discernible difference.
    Keep in mind, all my suits (even the balloon/ZP) has embroidery. Jarno is right; the embroidery is kinda "odd" on the ZP.

They don't fly any different. They just "feel" different.
    I like Parapak, always have.
    Balloon weighs less. If you plan on sliding in on your butt more than a coupla times, I'd DEFINITELY get Parapak.