phoenixlpr

Magic on opening

No, you can check out the video if you like. The PC hops around in the burble (big V4 burble) after a clean and quick pitch.

http://vimeo.com/26025408

Nice video. I had to slow it down to frame by frame during the second or two ( at 5;16 ), I may be blind....I don't see the toss, in high speed or frame by frame, just the pilot chute caught in his burble. If that was a clean pitch, I think we would see it.....[:/]

Life is short ... jump often.

happened to one of the red bull guys in Perris too..he was flying a venom...except, his main totaled as the bridle had wrapped the pc...big suits and big burbles...we'll see more of this I bet

Is there a problem? Is it too insignificant to worry about since its very rare? If this is a problem, do we need technological solutions? Or, is proper training enough (remember the video is of frode johansen a jumper with 20 years of experience)

to the original posters knot: assuming the bag was out of the container, the pc must have already generated pull force and thus the pc must have been out of the burble. Am I off or am I being captain obvious? I have had similar knots in my bridle. During main opening the pc dances violently.

Nice video. I had to slow it down to frame by frame during the second or two ( at 5;16 ), I may be blind....I don't see the toss, in high speed or frame by frame, just the pilot chute caught in his burble. If that was a clean pitch, I think we would see it.....[:/]

Your right. The didn't include the toss in the video.
- The first frame is the pilotchute on his legwing.
- The the pilot comes forward.
- The flyer reaches back (looking for the bridle/pilot chute)
- Grabs the bridle and pulls it in the clear air stream
- Pilotchute comes out of the burble and does what it does best.

If the toss was good, than this is bad...
If the toss was bad; we don't have to worry. (user error)
"The 'perfect' parachute jump was thought to be one where the opening shock and touchdown were simultaneous" -Lyle Cameron, ~1965
---
Falling-With-Style.com

The toss isn't the video, perhaps Greyghost has seen the full sequence?
As Freeflaw suggested, I think we'll see more of this. [:/] Seeing quite a few problems with low-time people in big suits, and several of them don't have proper bridles, PC's. I've collected a dozen videos of near-"PC in tow" due to burbles of big suits and/or crap tosses with short bridles, small PC's, etc.
Got a great one a couple weeks ago with a guy in an Sbird, short bridle and 26" PC; Line twists up the wazoo due to the head-down he went into while waiting for the PC to clear.

in reply to "If the toss was good, than this is bad...
If the toss was bad; we don't have to worry. (user error) "

I wonder how many of us will be doing bridle/pc clearing exercises from now on ?

absolutely excellent save Frodo :)

hope we all learn from this, especially manufacturers !!!

I think we will start to see a rash of really hard openings also. I was talking with a jumper that had a brutal opening the other week because it looked like his main towed behind him for a few seconds before inflating but it had allowed the slider to move down some before opening.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com