jeb

Apache X

Fact 1: Tony's blog wrote on 14.07.2011, Tony is the fastest in his Apache with 18,37 seconds.
Fact 2: Frode is official winner of base race 2011 with 29,37 seconds.

My question is: could anybody please explain me the difference of 29,37 - 18,37 = 11 seconds?

Different cliffs ;-) As far as i can see, the fastest time in official competition yesterday was Frode's 18.53

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150235424685868&set=pu.43724640867&type=1&theater&pid=7690009&id=43724640867

Fact 1: Tony's blog wrote on 14.07.2011, Tony is the fastest in his Apache with 18,37 seconds.
Fact 2: Frode is official winner of base race 2011 with 29,37 seconds.

My question is: could anybody please explain me the difference of 29,37 - 18,37 = 11 seconds?

Different cliffs ;-) As far as i can see, the fastest time in official competition yesterday was Frode's 18.53

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150235424685868&set=pu.43724640867&type=1&theater&pid=7690009&id=43724640867

Thank you, outrager, for this link!

My conclusion is:
Apache is faster at short distances (short flight time). For longer distances (long flight time) is the result for Apache worse. Short start of Apache is maybe the main reason for this matter. But the steady-state forward speed after acceleration is low because of high drag.

I would like to see results for Apache from Hungarian Competition and Gransee this year - results just for flight, without influence of start.

Pure speed races are a better measure of the performance of the pilot than the suit. Just look at the PPC results under the speed category. They are impressive speeds but GR suffers greatly to achieve them. The skill is in trading one off to gain the other. Other factors such as weight will reduce the time without affecting the GR, again not strictly suit related.

The base races have a requirement for a minimum time under canopy so there is an minimum GR that must be met (anyone know what it is?) but they are still a showcase of the jumpers ability to work to the rules rather than the suits' best performance.

If there is a conclusion to be drawn from a single jump it's that Tony did very well for a relatively new BASE jumper.

Well done Tony!

Pure speed races are a better measure of the performance of the pilot than the suit. Just look at the PPC results under the speed category. They are impressive speeds but GR suffers greatly to achieve them. The skill is in trading one off to gain the other. Other factors such as weight will reduce the time without affecting the GR, again not strictly suit related.

My rules for good results in "Speed" at PPC:
1) strong altitude wind in flight direction
2) GR ~ 1,0
3) wingsuit with low drag
4) weight is not important

High drag for X-Bird is a reason, why Tony is on place 6 in this competition, after Phantom, Blade and V3s.
Apache with his surface must have more drag then X-Bird...

I'd consider also the pilot experience in BASE...
Tony is a great skydiver, but I think he has a short BASE career... So I'd say Tony's performance is really impressive while compared with Frode's BASE skills...
Just my 2 cents, anyway... :)

3,2,1,C-YA!!!
V.
BASE #1075 / BMI #I-002 / PFI #042 / EGI #104

Hey I found something without numbers we can ALL agree as cool.

Jeb did the balloon jump again and this time cut the string B|:

http://photos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/270278_10150377449268275_629778274_10417975_504767_s.jpg

Nice flying Tony btw. Not bad for a senior!!

do you have a larger version of the pic anywhere ? (on my work computer it gives me a thumbnail...)
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

isn't finding the best trajectory part of a race, wich makes your suit look fast ?

Tony was flying outside of his lane giving him a shorter distance to fly than the other flyers. Tony (and some others) were clearly told that if they did this again they would be disqualified, but as it was more of a warm-up round measures wouldn't be taken.

Regardless of him flying a shorter distance than the others he still showed himself as a fast flyer and the Apache X looks like an interesting suit. Marketing himself as the fastest in the race though is not fair.

-Jo Henrik

Didnt know spindoctors had made their way into wingsuit marketing yet:D

I was simply commenting on the fact that Jeb must have had 100% faith in that guy diving for the dirt...brass balls...
No hating, no negative stuff about brands...though for sure playing underdog is a proven method to gain sympathy:ph34r::P

JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

All the back/forth about the guy diving in the dirt, Jeb coming closer/farther/left/right/whatever....that's all well and good. It's a cool shot, cool angle, no one died. That might be attributable to luck, to skill, or to the FSM looking out for everyone, particularly the balloons.

What I'd like to know about is the disparity between Tony's blog, FB, what people who were there are saying, and what is the truth regarding Tony's runs in the Apache vs every one else runs in whatever suit they might be wearing.

Lotsa hyperbole and marketing speak; can anyone who was there provide more detail (such as Henrik alluded to)?