NoValidTitle

Flock vertical rates?

Being floaty is often used. But in what way are you 'floaty'

If your weight is the issue, you're flying the same glide-angle as the rest of the group, and not catching up. Lacking the wingload to fly the same speed.

If you're constantly overspeeding the group forward, overshooting. Than they are not flying forward enough, and need to stop using their wingsuits as camera-suits. Something a lot of people do in big wingsuits especially. Fly at okay-ish fallrates, but completely lacking forward speed. Only using their wingsuit to slow their fallrate, not using to generate forward speed.

If you have more forward speed that they have. Its actually mostly their skills/flying style that are the problem...not your weight..

We all fly better when in the middle of our range. In RW (FS) weights, sleeves, swoop cords... are useful tools used to adjust the center of the range to suit the event. I see no reason why weights shouldn't be used as a range adjuster when flying a WS in a flock. I'm skinny and I'm much more comfortable in most flocks when wearing 10 - 13 pounds of lead under my wingsuit.

I fly better near the top of my range. ..

Define "fly".

Fly

a : to move in or pass through the air with wings
b : to move through the air or before the wind or through outer space
c : to float, wave, or soar in the air
d : something I do better than you
"That looks dangerous." Leopold Stotch

If your weight is the issue, you're flying the same glide-angle as the rest of the group, and not catching up. Lacking the wingload to fly the same speed.

If you're constantly overspeeding the group forward, overshooting. Than they are not flying forward enough, and need to stop using their wingsuits as camera-suits. Something a lot of people do in big wingsuits especially. Fly at okay-ish fallrates, but completely lacking forward speed. Only using their wingsuit to slow their fallrate, not using to generate forward speed.

If you have more forward speed that they have. Its actually mostly their skills/flying style that are the problem...not your weight..

We all fly better when in the middle of our range. In RW (FS) weights, sleeves, swoop cords... are useful tools used to adjust the center of the range to suit the event. I see no reason why weights shouldn't be used as a range adjuster when flying a WS in a flock. I'm skinny and I'm much more comfortable in most flocks when wearing 10 - 13 pounds of lead under my wingsuit.

Define "fly".

Fly

No, you just plummet better than me:P

I hardly think plummetting towards the ground at 80mph constitutes "soaring" or "floating" in anyone's mind but yours.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

If you go by the dictionary, everything including normal freefall can be described as flight.

That aside, I think its always beautifull how you manage to get the most negative interpetation possible out of positive words other people mention.

I clearly see Butters say he prefers flying at his top range (most likely flocking in the high 40's).

I fly better near the top of my range.

Yet you somehow seem to take that the opposite, and automaticly asume he mentions freefall. You where the one complaining before about 80 mph flocks. Maybe jump with Butters a bit more...kid sure knows how to fly at speeds where the suit you wear actually has a function;):P
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Everyone mentions vertical speeds, and it looks like flocks are mostly in the 60-80 mph range, from what I experienced.

But how about forward speed? I felt better and more precise when the flock had more forward speed for sure as all the inputs had more effect. My 2 centimes B|

"Common sense is not so common" - Voltaire
Dudeist Skydiver #9

Everyone mentions vertical speeds, and it looks like flocks are mostly in the 60-80 mph range, from what I experienced.

But how about forward speed? I felt better and more precise when the flock had more forward speed for sure as all the inputs had more effect. My 2 centimes B|

Speed! I definitely prefer faster forward speeds when vertically flocking ...

Definetly the more fwd speed the better.
I do see the larger suits tending to be flown more on the arms, suffering from lack of glide.
The higher the speed forward, the more minimal you can be in your steering inputs.

The slow fallrates almost automaticly follow when a good glide/performance is flown..
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Define "fly".

Fly

No, you just plummet better than me:P

I hardly think plummetting towards the ground at 80mph constitutes "soaring" or "floating" in anyone's mind but yours.

Define "plummet"
Define "better"
Define "hardly"
Define "soaring"
Define "floating"
HISPA #93
DS #419.5

Well, your kindda humor is really cool....................in the kinder garden.

Neeh..I tried that humor in kindergarden a few weeks back, and got arrested. Now I just display my sense of humor in that 500 meter circle around the school where I am allowed to go without being arrested...
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Yes, the weather has been marginal... Since Butters is the guy I "fly" with and he has been busy doing non jumping stuff, I am looking for outlets.

The weather has been less than marginal ... [:/]