imsparticus

Base/leg pouch technique

Ok after only ever using the boc both base/skydive for w/s jumps (S6) I now have a V4 with a leg pouch that pf seem very adiment about having on this suit so ive decided to bite the bullet and convert for 100% of my ws jumps with this suit.

on the first 2 jumps i went boc and found it ok a little bit of fumbling with the extra fabric but getting to it was easy (it must just be the way you reach aroung that helps colapse the wing and doesnt leave you fighting much resistance to get there, then i decided to install the shrivel flap (stupid note to others before you go running for the sewing machine consider your kill line if you have one, to avoid it i stitched a line 1 inch long either side of it at the correct end might be wrong but i was in a hurry and didnt have the instructions for it with me feel free to correct me if there is a better way).
anywho on this flight i decided not to put as much effort in with my arms that was making me tired and just let the armwings go where they wanted seemed to have me going quiet fast fwd so i dont know if that had anything to do with it but when it came time to pull (from full flight) I go to reach straight for the pouch and with the same force as ide go for the boc I just couldnt overcome the pressurisation of the armwing, so i push 3x harder and alot slower i finally get there (the access is actually cleaner than boc). only done the 1 with the pouch so far
Just wondering if anyone else is experiancing this and whats there method for getting to the pouch, do you go straight for it, reach under or reach over the armwing and gripper (it seems the time im saving in finding the hackey is being lost by fighting the pressurisation of the armwing, any hints or tips for a pouch newby???

I now have a V4 with a leg pouch that pf seem very adiment about having on this suit

The reach for the legpouch is 'under' the wing.
Let go of the gripper (it blows back) and just place your arm/hand on your leg, and there it is....

The BASE pouch is only used/needed for BASE. If thats not your intent, dont use the pouch for normal skydiving, as its much easier to dislodge during a bad exit and/or bump with another flyer.
Its definately an easier en quicker pull technique, much needed for BASE. But on normal skydives, the extra half a second the BOC position takes, and/or potential small delay due to searching for the hackey is less of a problem.
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Most (if not all) Load Organisers will (or should) not allow the use of the pouch on flocking jumps. Unless you're keen on feeding a jumping partner a canopy into his mouth on an exit....dont use it on anything else but solo practice for BASE...
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

the logic being what? Too small a pc (skydive pc) sits in loose? If the pouch was in fact more likely to yield a premmi then no basejumper would ever opt to fly that shit next to a wall. I think its a really bad idea for someone that base jumps to go back and forth between pc locations...look at bfl #156. Automatic behaviours need to be just that, automatic - without thought!

The logic being BASE jumps don't rub you around inside a plane full of busy jumpers and BASE jumps don't generally involve several other wingsuit pilots close enough to bump into you and deploy your PC. Also acro moves are rarer on BASE jumps, backflying a BASE pouch PC could result in deployment. And yes, a skydiving PC isn't as tight a fit in the pouch although I don't consider this to be a serious problem. But I'm sure you already knew all that.
Sometimes you eat the bear..............

The pouch does not present a huge chance at premature openings during normal flight, but its the other random stuff that happens on any given skydive that presents a danger.
The orientation of the pilotchute makes its easy to slide out the pouch during accidental brushes past other jumpers on exit.
Sitting on the pouch/bridle on the ride up. Easily catching the pilotchute on edges of the door.

Its all stuff that has happened MANY times before. Its a shame skydivingmovies.com is no longer there, as there was a brilliant collections of group exits gone bad with premature (base pouch related) openings.

Indeed, its not smart to switch back and forth. But if training for BASE, stick to doing so on dedicated solo dives where you dont endanger other people with a potential premature opening, and the exit is not rushed as it often is in group jumps. And thats even outside the stuff I see some people do (backflying, aerobatics) with their pilotchute in that location.

Its designed with a specific purpoise in mind....and not ment to be used outside of those design parameters...
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

of course I didn't, but Id rather kill you skydiving then myself basejumping.

Exactly what I expected you'd say and all I needed to hear.

Edited to add quote before that post was also erased by the author.

I do agree with you (see previous post) but I'm less militant. Unfortunately some of us didn't find the V2 and V3 to be very friendly for BOC use, I know some people did OK but I never found a 100% reliable BOC technique so stopped using it. Nearly all my V2 skydives using BASE pouch were small flocks with a high awareness level of potential problems, many of the flocks involved mostly Vampires. Maintaining muscle memory for WS BASE is super important, keeping WS flocks safe is also obviously serious. My way of dealing with it these days is to make others aware of BASE pouch use, fly in small flocks, and use a more BOC friendly suit in larger flocks where the risk becomes too high to manage. Also my BOC suit is way more acro-friendly.

Thanks I think last time i went for it i must have gone around the back of the gripper (like i would do for boc) which had me fighting against the wing pressurisation, now i need a new muscle memory to just drop the gripper and go underneath (ps, I did afew let go of gripper in flight and pick back up and remerkably the gripper doesnt get blown away but prettymuch stays right where i left it rock solid!).

dont worry for big group flocking I have my S6, V4 is all performance flights or performance small group flocking, But every jump I do with the V4 I want to be legpouched and second nature. on another note in the air i didnt notice the legpouch pull was any harder (skydiving 28inch pc) but practicing on the ground with my 36 had the pull alot harder its bigger but as you were fighting it out sideways because of the angle of the legpuch compared to boc anyone else notice this