slackercruster

Meeting the 200 jumps in 18 months timeline?

i've made over 600 in the last year.
i live on the dz.
i jump every load possible.
it cost a lot.
no problems paying for it.
and i still haven't made a wingsuit jump.

Wow, I remember when you just packed! Those numbers make me realize I need to jump more ... much, much more.
"That looks dangerous." Leopold Stotch

The first time I went to the Holiday Boogie at Skydive Arizona I did 117 jumps in just under 3 weeks. The boogie rate was pretty good too; I think it was $15/jump back then.

Went back to my home DZ here in the UK a few weeks later. They'd wondered where I'd been given that I only had 120 or so jumps the last time they saw me 2 months prior; now I had >300 total and 40 odd jumps on a wingsuit...
;)

I was actually between two jobs and decided to spend the cash. However, I could have saved a bit doing my own packing.

--
BASE #1182
Muff #3573
PFI #52; UK WSI #13

It's not that hard really. You only need to make five jumps a weekend on 40 of 78 weekends. That's hardly living at the airport and jumping every spare minute. You still have lots of time for whatever else you want to do. Or jump more and knock it out a lot faster.

At $25 a jump you'll be spending $125 on jumps every weekend. $5000 total isn't bad at all spread out over 18 months.

I easily got over 200 jumps in 18 months with a 3 month break. I usually make around 10 jumps a weekend.

It's not that hard really. You only need to make five jumps a weekend on 40 of 78 weekends. That's hardly living at the airport and jumping every spare minute. You still have lots of time for whatever else you want to do. Or jump more and knock it out a lot faster.

At $25 a jump you'll be spending $125 on jumps every weekend. $5000 total isn't bad at all spread out over 18 months.

I easily got over 200 jumps in 18 months with a 3 month break. I usually make around 10 jumps a weekend.

For me it looks like a 3 hour trip to jump school. Then another 3 hours back. That is a lot of drive time for me.

For me it looks like a 3 hour trip to jump school. Then another 3 hours back. That is a lot of drive time for me.

They have a bunk house? You have a tent? drive there on friday evening and leave sunday late - lots of jumps and bonfires then...
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong.

According to the USPA SIM Section 2-1 J. Extraordinary Skydives part 6.

6. Any person performing a wingsuit jump must have at least 200 skydives, and hold a current USPA license.[E]

This is the BSR. Not a recommendation.

Technically you don't need 200 jumps in 18 months. Of course if you did that would be better/safer. It is possible, with a good wingsuit coach, to be a little outside the 18 month thing and still be able to fly a wingsuit safely. GOOD coaching is key though.
Muff #5048

And there are those good coaches that still follow the 200 in 18 month requirement. Being current is important when trying a new discipline. That is why the jump number is a requirement for some training programs.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

And there are those good coaches that still follow the 200 in 18 month requirement. Being current is important when trying a new discipline. That is why the jump number is a requirement for some training programs.

Agreed. I was simply pointing out that it isn't the "law of the land".
Muff #5048

It depends what jumping / wingsuiting is worth to you. I have a 4 hour boat ride + a 2 hour drive to get to my DZ but at the mo you'll see me there every other weekend.

I wish I spent more on jumping than I do getting to the DZ as it's about $200 for the return trip on the boat but I get to meet up with a load of my mates, jump during the day and then chill out and have a beer with them in the evening :)

It's worth every penny !!
Jump more, post less.

6. Any person performing a wingsuit jump must have at least 200 skydives, and hold a current USPA license.[E]

Technically you don't need 200 jumps in 18 months. Of course if you did that would be better/safer. It is possible, with a good wingsuit coach, to be a little outside the 18 month thing and still be able to fly a wingsuit safely. GOOD coaching is key though.

So is it 200 jumps in a 2 or 3 years going to cut it? Is it all up to the coach accepting ones jump log as suitable?

My problem is I'm in a lot of activities. So hard to dedicate full time to one area.

You guys seem to be dedicated to skydiving as your main sport.

So is it 200 jumps in a 2 or 3 years going to cut it? Is it all up to the coach accepting ones jump log as suitable?

My problem is I'm in a lot of activities. So hard to dedicate full time to one area.

As stated above: It is a BSR and coaching to get into wingsuiting is crucial. You may be accepted by a serious coach with say 200 jumps in 20 months or 190 jumps in 18 months provided they feel you have done your job before and proof to be capable.

The other point is: Skydiving in general and wingsuiting especially are serious sports and disciplines which you can't just do like "having a motor cycle in the garage and drive it occasionally" or "learn to kiteboard and do it for one week per year in the Caribbean during wintertime". It is not cheap, will need a lot of time and energy as investment to be safe and rewarding enough. But I have to warn you: Once you start the journey with an AFF course you risk to fall in love and get addicted. It could be life changing :-)

Technically you could make 200 jumps, wait 6 months before ever jumping again, and your very next jump could be a wingsuit jump. THIS IS NOT THE WAY TO APPROACH THIS DISCIPLINE!!!.

I also have another VERY expensive hobby (gun collecting and shooting). What you have to do is prioritize your hobbies to allow the maximum safety for each. For me, Wingsuiting takes the "front burner" simply because it's the most complex and has the worst possible consequences if something goes wrong. Where as with shooting, I can step away from a firearm for 2 years and still be able to handle it in a safe manner.

Priorities. Thats what it boils down to.
Muff #5048

Problem solved, wingsuiting is not for you.

Jumping a wingsuit is similar to skydiving in a straight jacket, except the wingsuit moves you around the sky, so you also have to navigate at the same time. This is not the situation for a 'casual' jumper.

If you want to be a 'casual' jumper, you can do that. Smart 'casual' jumpers will limit their activites to basic skydives with only one or two other people, will only jump in the best of weather conditions, and will seek re-current training from an instructor at the beginning of every season. Of course, there are stupid 'casual' jumpers who feel that even though they only have 60 jumps, they've been jumping for 4 years and have 'been around', so they can do whatever they want. Those guys don't last very long.

Wingsuiting is pretty far up the skydiving mountain. If you want to be a 'part-timer' then by all means do so, but limit your activites to the bottom of the slope, where it's easy. If you want to ride the lift up to the top, you better have your shit together, and that means practice, currency and dedication.

Problem solved, wingsuiting is not for you.

Jumping a wingsuit is similar to skydiving in a straight jacket, except the wingsuit moves you around the sky, so you also have to navigate at the same time. This is not the situation for a 'casual' jumper.

If you want to be a 'casual' jumper, you can do that. Smart 'casual' jumpers will limit their activites to basic skydives with only one or two other people, will only jump in the best of weather conditions, and will seek re-current training from an instructor at the beginning of every season. Of course, there are stupid 'casual' jumpers who feel that even though they only have 60 jumps, they've been jumping for 4 years and have 'been around', so they can do whatever they want. Those guys don't last very long.

Wingsuiting is pretty far up the skydiving mountain. If you want to be a 'part-timer' then by all means do so, but limit your activites to the bottom of the slope, where it's easy. If you want to ride the lift up to the top, you better have your shit together, and that means practice, currency and dedication.

Cheers!

I'm working hard to get another 40 jumps in before my FFC at the end of the summer...going to cost $1,500 and take a couple of months. Going from FF to Wings is a work in progress. Seems practicing exits as if you're in a suit and tracking dives, together with deployment procedures to develop muscle memory, have been the advice I've been given at my home DZ. I was also advised to take an advanced canopy course which I'm doing for the second time this weekend. Every new wing flyer I know says that they have made mistakes that have cost them a reserve ride or two right out the gate...I'm paying close attention!

Blue Skies!!!