mixedup

how far could one fly from 14'000 foot?

The numbers from the Flysight log in Paralog:
(LZ 1,358ft above MSL)
Exit Alt: 12,174ft
Opening Alt: 2,462ft

Distance fallen: 9,712ft
H Distance covered: 4.364miles (23,042ft)
Freefall time 179 seconds (exactly where the opening is is arguable, could be up to 181 seconds but noticable change in flight mode at 179 seconds)

Average fall rate: 37mph (60KPH)
Average forward speed: 87mph (140KPH)
Average GR: 2.37:1

BTW you can edit the GR range in the Flysight config to go above 3:1 so it doesn't go silent.

What only 2.4? Jeb himself posted that Yuri was getting that in a classic and that too more than a decade ago:P.

Fun aside, this is a good thing.

Its amazing what people think they are getting and what the real numbers turn out to be. I always thought I was getting around 2.5 in my V3, but now im doing around 2.6-2.8 cruis in an apache and absolutely destroying what I was doing in a V3, so who knows.

Yuri is a legend and freak of nature by all accounts - much like Loic, but even so 2.4:1 in a classic is a tall order/story. Perhaps with a tail wind and thermal lift he could have made it back but I thought it was closer to 2.1:1 than 2.4:1 to make it?

I hear Yuri flew a Prodigy (the original model) to the landing area in Italy, that's at least 1.7:1

What's becoming very apparent is that in the BASE environment thermals and updrafts are starting to have a bigger effect. Just look at the extra lift Charley has close to the wall in Brazil.

That aside, the unverified references I've heard to Deug's GR are 1.5:1 - 1.7:1 so it's taken 13 years to add another 1:1.

wouldn't it be informational to have pilots height and weight in their info? This would be educational on body type to suit specific performance and allow a better comparison of overall performance b/t pilots of similar anatomy. Applying this to a competition would bring out the real performance. Just like weight classes in wrestling.

Not really, weight shouldn't have a bit effect on GR, it will increase speed in both directions but GR will be un-effected by only changing weight.

For floating, it's better to be as light as possible with as much surface as possible. But if you want to stay up for hours, I'd recommend Paragliding or Viargra ;)

Actually glide and lift are effected by weight in the PPC style jumps.
A person with a lot of weight, will get much more speed out of his dive prior to flaring into comp altitude.

A person with more weight wil enter the comp altitude with a lot more momentum/force thats transferable to lift/glide
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

I tried discussing that earlier. As I too would like to see the exit altitude only 500 or so feet above competition altitude, and not seeing diving allowed.

But it mostly depends on what you want to do.
Have a competition with a fun added element that can either help, or screw you up in terms of results (diving into comp altitude, flaring to soon/late).

Or is the PPC competition a tool to find 'true' Glideratio. If the later is the case, than 'the dive' should be taken out. But most competitors seem to like the diving for the added excitement and influence it may have on your score.

Though those same competitors often seem to miss the capacity to actually define it as such...and usually quote the results as the actual glide for a certain suit or model.

With wind being another added variable, I for one (now) do think the dive is a fun aspect that should be kept in. Similar to swooping, its an added thing to practice and work on. Otherwise it would degrade the flying to holding one static position the whol way...
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Actually glide and lift are effected by weight in the PPC style jumps.
A person with a lot of weight, will get much more speed out of his dive prior to flaring into comp altitude.

A person with more weight wil enter the comp altitude with a lot more momentum/force thats transferable to lift/glide

You might have less resistance with cruising slower and more time for getting affected to the (down)wind.

Any idea what exactly are Yuri's specs in terms of height and weight? I'm guessing somewhere around 6ft ish and 160lbs or 72kg? :P

For info regarding lift ticket prices all around the world check out
http://www.jumpticketprices.com/dropzones.asp

How far could an average wingsuit flyer travel if they drop from 14000 foot? Assuming they want to be safe and not pull too late etc. Also just in a standard wingsuit that a club might have. (just interested to get an idea)

To answer your question... a minimum of 14,000 feet.

Yuri is a way better wing-suit pilot then i am :)

I guess you could say that about smellveggan. The trajectory taken for the flight has a major influence on the outcome(even when ridge lift is absent due to the following). I guess the water level in that stream is different year to year, in 2007 the closest landing point on the left bank was 1.6km from exit but the right bank was only 1.5km from exit. Yuri himself posted here his best L/Ds. Never a whole lot more than 2.7(in still wind).

Anyway, I would put close to 3.0 for you in that Apache suit on short (1minute or so) BASE flights in normal conditions as no surprise.

The 2.4 average on a 3minute 20 sec flight and a short base flight are very much apples and oranges :)
Kris

Its amazing what people think they are getting and what the real numbers turn out to be. I always thought I was getting around 2.5 in my V3, but now im doing around 2.6-2.8 cruis in an apache and absolutely destroying what I was doing in a V3, so who knows.

Nice! That is like the most obvious thing to say, though :P. Get better glide in V3 than prodigy?Only meaningful numbers to compare are cruise glide or L/D.