Jamesmap2

Pushing it too far?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPxMdaHkZ6A

do you think this is pushing it too far?
@ 0:54 and 1:04

No, ultimately, if he misses it even by just 1inch and lives to see the day, it was simply not 'too far'.

I think the video is awesome and hope to see more of this person...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPxMdaHkZ6A

do you think this is pushing it too far?
@ 0:54 and 1:04

Nothing against you, but seeing as this is your first post here, i'm going to refrain from comment.

My 'media' alarm is going off, and I can't help but feel you might be looking for a quote.

I'd urge others not to comment either.
Phoenix Fly - High performance wingsuits for skydiving and BASE
Performance Designs - Simply brilliant canopies

Let's not bulshit ourselves - Jokke Sommer or anyone who flies as aggressively as he will die in no less than a few years if he keeps pushing it the way he does.

I respect his courage, but 'it is what it is'. A PHX Fly team member just passed recently. Mirko, who I did not know.

It's not a question of right or wrong, just what they do. I love the videos and find them amazing, but it's no video game.

best,

Jeff

Looking at the current trend, I see a bigger and bigger push for 'lower skills/experience' and 'more extreme actions'.

In the end, I see this type of pushing do more damage than a few individuals who are always operating on the edge.
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Ahh the youtube effect... When friends hear that I started wingsuiting I invariably get the "oh you are flying next to mountains? How do you land those things?" and my favorite, "Oh I've seen people do that on youtube, I want to do it next summer!"

I love seeing Jokke's video but am affraid of the crowd it can and will bring to base jumping. We will see in a couple years the impact of all those base camps popping everywhere and I seriously doubt it will be pretty B|

"Common sense is not so common" - Voltaire
Dudeist Skydiver #9

Ahh the youtube effect... When friends hear that I started wingsuiting I invariably get the "oh you are flying next to mountains? How do you land those things?" and my favorite, "Oh I've seen people do that on youtube, I want to do it next summer!"

I love seeing Jokke's video but am affraid of the crowd it can and will bring to base jumping. We will see in a couple years the impact of all those base camps popping everywhere and I seriously doubt it will be pretty B|

Emphasis on the words "impact" and "popping". :S

I am all too familiar with the youtube effect you describe, as I'm sure we all are.

"Did you see that one video of the guy flying next to the rocks???"

But to your other point, I don't think the influx of people into proxy flight will get much worse in the future than it has in the past 5 years... this kind of stuff has been in the public eye for quite some time already, and even longer in the eye of people who already skydive (I saw Superterminal for the first time almost 6 years ago).
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

Well take my case for instance :)

Started skydiving about a year ago, got some wingsuit flights and could go on a base camp. Reasonably in a year if I really kept at wingsuiting and base jumping I could be doing a wingsuit base jump. That's in 2 years after my AFF 1. I really don't think this would have been possible 5 or 6 years ago, but what do I know I had no clue about all this at the time :D

Most of the crazy wingsuit proxy flying videos on the internet are about 3 year old I guess, and that's what got me into the sport in the first place.

YouTube > Skydive > Wingsuit > Base > Proxy :D

That was my plan from the start.

Now that I am actually at the 3rd step things will go very differently for me. I have my reasons to take my time now and take it slow into BASE if ever.

But I am not so sure most that had the same initial train of thought (YouTube > ... > Proxy) will end up at the same place I am now...

Edit: btw as far as I know Jokke hasn't been skydiving for 10 years or base jumping for any longer. He picked up skydiving and in something like 2 years had some wingsuit jumps under his belt and some regular base as well. So he got to proxy flying in a 3-4 year period after his AFF, again as far as I've been told...

"Common sense is not so common" - Voltaire
Dudeist Skydiver #9

Edit: btw as far as I know Jokke hasn't been skydiving for 10 years or base jumping for any longer. He picked up skydiving and in something like 2 years had some wingsuit jumps under his belt and some regular base as well. So he got to proxy flying in a 3-4 year period after his AFF, again as far as I've been told...

well, he is doing this more or less full time so the 3-4 year which could mean 200 for one jumper can mean 2000 for another. not the same game ;-)
and from the start he was spotted as really gifted as well.

YouTube > Skydive > Wingsuit > Base > Proxy

That was my plan from the start.

Now that I am actually at the 3rd step things will go very differently for me. I have my reasons to take my time now and take it slow into BASE if ever.

I think this happens more often than not to people in your situation. In many of these types of activities (not just skydiving), you go into it headed in one direction, but reality often puts you in another.

There will always be the occasional idiot, but I think the norm will continue to be to proceed with caution.

The question isn't, is jokke going to die or even asking your self am I going to die. The real question is what are you going to do while you are alive. Are you going to spend your life sitting on a computer watching people live dreams or are you going to go out in the world and live those dreams your self...

We all will die no matter what we do. Jokke could stop doing what he does right now. He would still die. You could stop jumping right now. You would still die...

Get over fearing your death and get on with living your life...

Jeb

Most companies building pool-slides only charge 5k to 25k for huge amounts of pool-slide sections. Renting some scaffolding and slapping a ton of those half pool-slide sections on there shouldnt cost a couple of million? Or are golden bolts and diamond coating required?:P

Without joking, wouldnt setting this up allong a natural hillside, although the strip/Vegas sure soounds like fun, be a lot cheaper, easier and also more fun for spectators who could set up allong the whole landing route, and not just the sides...

Surely there should be some hills that also allow for a bail-out allong one side or another...

Anyways...probably to practical...but just thinking out loud

JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Yawn...... So what are you saying Jeb? That we are all going to die someday? So we might as well die doing something we love?......
Bit of a tired old sales pitch isn’t it mate? We have all heard it a few times now (pretty sure they said it on Point Break as well :P).
I for one would prefer that we focus on the positive side of our Sport/Sports instead of constantly reminding the Media of how close we are to Dying.

Yawn...... So what are you saying Jeb? That we are all going to die someday? So we might as well die doing something we love?......
Bit of a tired old sales pitch isn’t it mate? We have all heard it a few times now (pretty sure they said it on Point Break as well :P).
I for one would prefer that we focus on the positive side of our Sport/Sports instead of constantly reminding the Media of how close we are to Dying.