kallend

Flocking at Skydive Chicago

Flock U's opening weekend at SDC produced the largest collection of wingsuiters I've seen there outside of Summerfest. Today was a great day for jumping. I finished my day with a really cool 5-way baton-pass flight.

I just wish I didn't have to wear 11 pounds of lead under my WS.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Why the lead?

So I can fall at 80mph with Greg, when I and my suit would prefer 35mph.

What suit?

S-Bird.

Of course, I could spend $1000+ on a smaller suit, but the lead is far cheaper.

Why the lead?

What suit?

S-Bird.

Well there is your problem.

Do you wear a baggy suit with weight when doing relative work?
"That looks dangerous." Leopold Stotch

Back on topic......I had a great weekend at The Flock U opener at SDC. There will be some great things happening this year and SDC Flock U sets the stage for some great moves forward. Congrats to all the coaches. You did an amazing job and I am proud to share the sky with you.

J
Wingsuit organizing, first flight courses and coaching
Flock University
Tonysuits

Why the lead?

What suit?

S-Bird.

I wear 13 pounds when doing RW, as a matter of fact. And I didn't buy a wingsuit in order to stay in the air for less time. I can fall at 80mph with a 1:1 glide ratio in my RW suit, didn't need a WS for that.

Why the lead?

What suit?

S-Bird.

I wear 13 pounds when doing RW, as a matter of fact.

Do you wear a loose RW suit?

And I didn't buy a wingsuit in order to stay in the air for less time. I can fall at 80mph with a 1:1 glide ratio in my RW suit, didn't need a WS for that.

Neither did I and so can I. However, when I fly with others I fly one of the smallest suits ... I believe the saying is dress for success, not add weight for success.

PS: Smaller suits also cause less disruption to the air flow around them, making it easier for others. ;)

Back on topic......I had a great weekend at The Flock U opener at SDC. There will be some great things happening this year and SDC Flock U sets the stage for some great moves forward. Congrats to all the coaches. You did an amazing job and I am proud to share the sky with you.

J

Glad you had fun. Hope the more coaches there are, the better the flying and safety will be ... for all of us.

J

I too had a WONDERFUL time....SDC is very serious about making Wingsuiting a reality there EVERY weekend....it is going to become a summer weekend destination for flocking, and easy direct flight from most cities and Europe....come on out!

Multiple otters, multiple bars, birdhouse team room with AC, camping, lake, the list goes on.

Wicked Wingsuits will be keeping on hand inventory there also, so LOTS of suits to try and take home with you.

Simon
FWC #69

I see no necessity for plummeting in order to flock.

Agreed...though I also dont really see a room-sized carpet as the most ideal choice in flying for a tall/light person, even in flocks flying really well..
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Not sure how Butter's was promoting plummeting. .

I fail to see that a 70 - 80mph fall rate with a 1:1 glide ratio represents an optimal objective for wingsuit formation flying. I think we can do better than that.

Not sure how Butter's was promoting plummeting. .

I fail to see that a 70 - 80mph fall rate with a 1:1 glide ratio represents an optimal objective for wingsuit formation flying. I think we can do better than that.

Where did I say it did? Can anyone that has jumped with me imagine me saying that ... :D My comments were in regards to wingsuit choice, not performance.

For someone so smart, I guess you're deliberately missing the point?

Huge suits (from any manufacturer) suck for general skydiving and most flocking. And even more so if you are tall and/or light. If you are into long flights or v high performance flocking that's a different story.

A decent flyer in a P2/Shadow or similar suit can easily fly at ~2:1 with a <50MPH fall rate. What percentage of your flocks are higher performance than that?

Learning how to fly this type of suit properly over hundreds of jumps, will greatly expand your "range" on any suit. If you really want to get into something else that is really beyond the range of the suit then add another suit to your collection and fly each within their sensible range.

I started with a GTi, then had a Prodigy, then V1. I couldn't afford to have two suits and didn't really want to buy any of the other suits that were available at the time. Flocking the Vampires was doable but not nice. Late last year I got a Shadow and it's all I use for skydiving unless flying with the plane or other V3s.

I've seen the same thing that Jarno is harping on about where people can't fly their suit - are arching like crazy and sinking out and their solution isn't to learn to stop arching and fly better it's to buy a suit with "more range", many of these people never use the upper 30-40% of available range on their existing suit.

But anyway you already know all of this, the post isn't really aimed at you but other readers. If you are happy with your big suit then good for you. Too many people think opening their wallet is a shortcut to good flying skills! The only people that it's good for is those selling the suits, hence you'll find three different suits recommended for people with 0, 5 & 25 jumps. It's crazy and genius at the same time.

For someone so smart, I guess you're deliberately missing the point?

Huge suits (from any manufacturer) suck for general skydiving and most flocking. And even more so if you are tall and/or light. If you are into long flights or v high performance flocking that's a different story.

A decent flyer in a P2/Shadow or similar suit can easily fly at ~2:1 with a

I didn't say that is was impossible. I said that it isn't happening.

I am very happy at 50mph with 2:1, I wish all flocks were like that.

I can even do 80mph at 1:1 in my "large" suit. I just wear weights.
:P

And your "large" suit is causing more turbulence for those around you than a "small" suit.

Especially on tight flocks and docked formation, the 'bow wave' surrounding especially the area behind the armwings is much larger coming of those big suits...
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Even when Butters, who has the stature of an oompaa loompaa, ;) has his Stealth 2 on it can create some pretty good wake off the arm wings.

Help your fellow wingsuiter out and make it a no wake zone.

Edit: Jarno are you avoiding me? I have sent you a couple PM's.

Sky Canyon Wingsuiters