hjumper33

Apache

Probably overkill for skydiving.

I thought that the Apache was a BASE specific suit because of the "semi integrated" desing would cover your skydiving emergency handles? Looks like an interesting desing though and I love to see people thinking "outside of the box".

The Apache is for BASE jumping ONLY. Not for skydiving. Your NORMAL BASE RIG fits inside the front of the suit, which makes for an extremely clean lower surface. As you can see in this photo, there is not even a chest strap exposed (I am wearing my normal Asylum Profile BASE rig in these photos).

If you haven't jumped a large wingsuit already for at least one season then you might consider ordering the X2 (new X-Bird) instead of the Apache, because the X2 can be used to practice in the skydive environment

http://matttg.com/new_apache_wingsuit.htm

Edited to add :

Seems that the suit is also already on the tony suits webpage : http://www.tonywingsuits.com/apache.html where tony also writes :

NOTE: This suit is for BASE jumping only. Having the harness inside the suit excludes it from being used for skydiving. Expert wingsuit skydivers could choose to modify the Apache to mount the emergency handles on to the suit itself under the guidance of a qualified rigger but TonySuits does NOT recommend any modifications!
http://www.ufufreefly.com

How are the handles set up on that? Do you have any closer pictures?

I just did the "I gotta new suit" shot :P, and I didn't really take that good a look at the suit (other than, holy smoke that's BIG I'll stick to my blade thanx very much). It's "just" a suit around a skydiving rig though. You could ask ParaShoot for more info, it's his suit.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

That looks like all you'd need in an emergency situation was a little bit of rig shift and those three rings are staying put, even with the cables out :o

Phoenix Fly - High performance wingsuits for skydiving and BASE
Performance Designs - Simply brilliant canopies

My loop handles have velcro and are taken off the harness and put on velcro on the inside of the suit. The harness is kept in place by a shackle on both sides. Very simple and clean.

It's not a suit for everybody though. I'll probably need a fare amount of jumps to be really current and comfortable for BASE with this suit.

** Know what you say but don't say all you know. **

Do hope the hackey on the pilotchute doest get hooked on/inside the suit as it did at Zflock with the Apache you flew there. It was worrying seeing how tight/stuck that was. That and the potential for fabric on top of the 3 ring circus, limiting its function, would be a no for practical use for me. Combined with the several cases of unstable flying and a pull on the backs/spinning in France, this looks like a very complex setup just to loose the drag of a chest strap...[:/]

YMMV

JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

wow, hackey swallowed by suit? in BASE!? how much chances of survival is that!? 0.0000000003%!?

maybe we should get james boole's experience with that. oh wait, he was at line-stretch. with snow. on a very steep hill. mhm. maybe chances of survival are even lower than what i quoted..

to be fair tough, the BASE-"hackeys" are usually larger.

hats off to the guys that actually jump it, they must not only have balls of steel, they must have balls of fucking kryptonite! :S

and for the 3-ring.. isnt it the whole point that you need to only apply a small force to keep it closed/release it? the fabric of the suit will prevent it from working properly, that is IF you get a main out, and then have a problem. i'd hate to deploy a reserve into a mess of nylon above my head!

and where will you belly-mount your gopro? gotta balance the drag from the two on the back of the feet, hardly works if you have another two or three sticking out of your helmet! :P

edited to remove leg-pouch assumption, they wont work in such large suits.

edited some more to put a smile on everyone's face! :P

“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

Ive actually found the suit to be super stable and easy to fly with no issues pulling. How do you get the hackey swallowed? Setup is super slick for base and keep in mind the majority of low profile base containers dont have three rings or cutaways. As I said, theres no point to it in skydiving unless you want to prepare to base it. I think I put around 20 skydives and 4 other base jumps on the suit before the flight in the video. performance is unreal

i was referring to the eyewitness-report of jarno about the hackey.

IF it's only for BASE, fine, but for obvious reasons you may want to give it a go in a skydiving-environment first. at least that's what the BASErs i know would do.

and i'm pretty sure that if it's sold to the "general public", it wont be long until some douche jumps it out of planes exclusively. this could become ugly pretty quick.
-Hunter S. Thompson
-Yoda

If you're that concerned about extra drag you might want to get a nose job.

Or loose one of the 5 GoPros that are attached to every limb and appendage..:P

Surely that isn't safe?

Everyone knows the more cameras you jump, the safer you are. Right?
Phoenix Fly - High performance wingsuits for skydiving and BASE
Performance Designs - Simply brilliant canopies

Do hope the hackey on the pilotchute doest get hooked on/inside the suit as it did at Zflock with the Apache you flew there.

That occured after gearing up and even before I had a chance of checking my handles so don't start spreading wrong words. Of course this was noticed straight away and would not happen in freefall.

** Know what you say but don't say all you know. **

Im not spreading wrong words.
After getting up, a handle was caught in the hole for the MLW on the back.

I dont see why this would be limited to getting up from the packing mat, and not occur in the plane as well. There wasnt a single word 'wrong' in what I said, and similar to safety notices on the webpage for other wingsuit models/manufacturers, it wouldnt hurt here either.

Not mentioning it (IMHO) is a worse offense than risking the usual 'you're against brand XXX' when a potential safety issue is noted...
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Do hope the hackey on the pilotchute doest get hooked on/inside the suit as it did at Zflock with the Apache you flew there.

That occured after gearing up and even before I had a chance of checking my handles so don't start spreading wrong words. Of course this was noticed straight away and would not happen in freefall.

so, how do you feel about skydiving a suit which it is strongly advised against, only to be BASEjumped!? how would you have dealt with it in case of an emergency!?

despite your jumpnumbers, you should be quite well aware that the laws of physics and gravity in particular wont stop for you too. and actually, you should know better, no!?
-Hunter S. Thompson
-Yoda

how would you have dealt with it in case of an emergency!?

LOL, I'm not him, but I dunno - initiate emergency procedures?
Go for main twice, then reserve.

You should know that already :P

haha, my concern being the 3-rings that will be limited; you dont really have to worry about them in BASE if you're not about to drown or have to run from the cops..

but yea, nice try! :P

edited to add: i wonder what the H/C-manufacturer would have to say in this, since the handles are not in their original location anymore; wouldnt that cease the TSO for this setup!?
-Hunter S. Thompson
-Yoda

edited to add: i wonder what the H/C-manufacturer would have to say in this, since the handles are not in their original location anymore; wouldnt that cease the TSO for this setup!?

Two manufacturers have told me that changing their rig release systems would unquestionably violate their TSO; not only the re-routing of cables, but potential for changes in pull force as well.
Kinda don't think Bill B would take well to it either.
pick up the phone, ask him.

Two manufacturers have told me that changing their rig release systems would unquestionably violate their TSO; not only the re-routing of cables, but potential for changes in pull force as well.

i just asked mark, usually he gets back within a short amount of time.
-Hunter S. Thompson
-Yoda

reply from UPT:

Question, do you think this voids the TSO?• If the data for the alteration was submitted to and approved by the local MIDO/FAA, then no. • If not, then technically yes. It has been altered from its original design that was originally submitted to and approved by the ACO.• Major alterations to original approved data package can only be made with only the ACO’s approval.However, Master Riggers have been doing this type of thing to certified gear since the very beginning.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-Yoda