morris

How much more performance from V1 ---> V4?

I´d like to get an impression how much additional performance has really been gained during the last couple of years.
Any numbers?
(especially comparing V1 to V4 if possible)
Something like data for both suits in a "anything else but the suit being equal" scenario, for average rate of descent, forward speed and glide ratio?
Additional question:
Am I wrong or is it correct that the smallest gain of performance (if any?) has been achieved regarding forward speed?
Additional question is because a) a skilled pilot with a reasonable exitweight could already be flying very fast (at least by my standards) in a V1 and b) because an increase in surface area, resulting in a slightly slower wingloading, should usually not result in higher forward speeds...
Thanks for sharing any thoughts!

Recently while testing the V4 with a Team Ill Vision team mate of the same height/weight. He was in a V3 and I had on the V4. Flying the V3 at about 80%, I let him punch it out and get out in front me, while trying to catch him, I found the forward speed in the V4 gained slightly on the V3. Then, while matching his forward speed, the V4 was able to have the ability to gain tremendous altitude on the V3 while matching the forward speed. We then switched suits and found exactly the same results.
Note this is only from a few jumps on the suit and with more flights on it, the results will be only better.
www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com

I just posted a video on youtube of some limited footage of V4 flights from Flock and Dock. I don't know how much Ed and Brian were pushing there V3/V4 when I passed them from above, but if Brian was matching Ed's V3 performance look at the forward speed and altitude difference when I passed them from above in the video in my V4 (really Robi's:)) I was flying the suit hard in that video. The suit has a large performance advantage over the V3. I also did 1 on 1 performance flights with another V3 multiple times with the same results, including me switching to the V3 and the other pilot flying the V4. I did fly against an Xbird/Sbird as well. The speed was much greater and believe it or not the altitude difference was very close agaist the XBird. This suit kicks some serious ass, is so easy to fly, and fun. Flocks in the video were from a phantom 2 not V4.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OE8GcFePT0E
Base# 1638

I just posted a video on youtube of some limited footage of V4 flights from Flock and Dock. I don't know how much Ed and Brian were pushing there V3/V4 when I passed them from above, but if Brian was matching Ed's V3 performance look at the forward speed and altitude difference when I passed them from above in the video in my V4 (really Robi's:)) I was flying the suit hard in that video. The suit has a large performance advantage over the V3. I also did 1 on 1 performance flights with another V3 multiple times with the same results, including me switching to the V3 and the other pilot flying the V4. I did fly against an Xbird/Sbird as well. The speed was much greater and believe it or not the altitude difference was very close agaist the XBird. This suit kicks some serious ass, is so easy to fly, and fun. Flocks in the video were from a phantom 2 not V4.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OE8GcFePT0E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OE8GcFePT0E ;-)) ;):P
Those who risk nothing, do nothing, became nothing, achieve nothing

Actually, Justin was not this comparison as I was flying a V3 on that jump. I'll leave that discussion for another day. I jumped with another X and I passed him pretty fast. He initially was at a higher altitude, but as the speed of the V4 increased and lift increased the gap in altitude decreased fast. As the horizontal distance increased I was unable to tell from my perspective how much the altitude gap decreased, but his perspective showed the altitude gap b/t the X became very close as my speed and distance increased. By the end of the jump he felt the X was slighty higher but the V4 was significantly further ahead.
Base# 1638

By the end of the jump he felt the X was slighty higher but the V4 was significantly further ahead.

BIRDDOCTOR - it is correct, if I interpret yours sentence like "V4 have significantly better glide ratio and slightly worse fall rate" as X-Bird?

What is happen with glide ratio for X-Bird if the pilot increase fall rate to the level of V4?

P.S. We try to see it in August at Hungarian Wingsuit Competition or at "Wings over Gransee".

Yes, the glide ratio on the jumps I did with the V4 showed much better glide ratio, but the pilot is at the heart of it. What will really be interesting is when we get numbers from someone very experienced flying the V4. I put 10 jumps on it and felt I had a lot more flying optimization to go. Perfect example was when I jumped a V4 with Robi in his V4. I could not match his speed and glide ratio and we are at a similar height and weight. Obviously, he knows how to optimally fly his suit. Either way this is going to be an exciting year for wingsuit performance. I can't wait to see the outcomes at upcoming events and how much we raise the bar. I do feel the bar is definately going to be raised. Competition b/t companies is going to push performance to new levels and we will all benefit.
Base# 1638