lupinelacuna

Why doesn't everyone wingsuit

Is there a particular reason?

Jumping a wingsuit is a much higher risk than a normal jump. Some people choose not to expose themselves to the risks.

That is why I don't and won't do it.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

Jumping a wingsuit is a much higher risk than a normal jump. Some people choose not to expose themselves to the risks.

Actually, it's the mostly incorrect perception that jumping a wingsuit carries a much higher risk.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Flocking is boring.
Not enough wingsuiters make regular creative jumps.
I love to carve along the clouds, free-fly type jumps where I can just have fun. I love to stay up as long as possible - not fly/fall fast.
That's why I cut way back on wingie jumps.
Will always love them though!

That AND the crazies. :P

Actually, it's the mostly incorrect perception that jumping a wingsuit carries a much higher risk.

Do you mind explaining? My limited knowledge is that you are adding a fairly significant risk by adding the suit. Very happy to have my views updated.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

Do you mind explaining? My limited knowledge is that you are adding a fairly significant risk by adding the suit. Very happy to have my views updated.

You *are* adding risk. Just as you're adding risk when you begin jumping with a camera, a smaller canopy, raft/inflatable, Mr. Bill, CRW, 4/8 way, tertiary, going to a bigger DZ, heli, balloon jumps, flag jumps, demo jumps, etc....
It's risk that may be added once you have some basic skills, good muscle memory, and a general acumen for adding small additional risks. I'd say adding a wingsuit at 25 jumps is a "significant risk" vs adding a starter wingsuit and instruction at 200-500 jumps being a reasonably mitigated risk.

I just mean that a lot of people seem to think that wingsuiting is way more dangerous than it really is.

It's really not that big of a deal. It's adding extra risk in the same way that doing anything except a flat and stable solo is adding extra risk.

That is why I don't and won't do it.

I mean this in the nicest possible way, but perhaps you should refrain stating something as fact in an educational forum when you don't have the experience or understanding to make educated comments. :)
Phoenix Fly - High performance wingsuits for skydiving and BASE
Performance Designs - Simply brilliant canopies

poppycock.

WS is as safe as any other discipline. I think its a darn lot safer than many other things. Preparation is the key. I only WS now, and coming up on 1000 WS jumps over 9 years I have only ever had one problem, my last jump, a lineover and spinner on my main. I cutaway at 4500 as I "always" open at 5500 and took another 15 second delay while I flew back to the DZ to mitigate risks of probs if my reserve didnt open well or I bust my leg on landing. no stress, it was like a base jump and I was really glad to have my suit on as it gave me so much more time to set myself up for a clean stable over the DZ deployment at a safe 3000 feet. what more could I have asked for? I upsized my main, only jump a square now and so I think I'm at a much lower risk than when I did free flying on a small eliptical. more spinners, lower openings, faster speeds on landing, more radical turns, less time during mals... the list just goes on ..... WS is safe. or at least no more dangerous than the jumping you do.... its all about preparation... and sensible gear / jump buddy / weather etc etc choices. The analogy that you are jumping in a straight jacket and that increases your risk is so 1980's!

I just mean that a lot of people seem to think that wingsuiting is way more dangerous than it really is.

It's really not that big of a deal. It's adding extra risk in the same way that doing anything except a flat and stable solo is adding extra risk.

i dont see how you can think like this? wingsuits in low tail aircraft ARE dangerous if you dont have proper training on exit. miami banned all ws jumps from their plane because of tail strikes. pac750, kingair, caravans. all of these planes carry MORE RISK than any belly/ff exit stable or not. open your eyes. you ever seen someone with bloodshot eyes for weeks from a flatspin without a wingsuit? doubt it... come pull time belly/ff your pud is right there, big ws you gotta have a plan to get to the pud, or you will be hunting for it. what about your flight path? all the sudden you travel 5-6 miles on a flight instead of falling down the pipe. landing off in a wingsuit happens more often than a belly/ff jump, does that not make it more of a "RISK"? i understand once you are a ws'er you learn ways to fix these issues, but it is more of a "risk" whether you are concious of it or not.
Flock University FWC / ZFlock
B.A.S.E. 1580
Aussie BASE 121

reply to "i dont see how you can think like this? wingsuits in low tail aircraft ARE dangerous if you dont have proper training on exit."

You've kinda almost answered your own question.
With proper training WSing is more a skill aquisition than a risk addition.
As skydivers some of us constantly push our boundaries .
As wingsuit pilots a whole new world of freefall has opened up for us to explore.
Is it too risky or just more risky?
Whatever ...humans are proving they are up for the WSing challenge.
cry crawl walk run fly :)

Dude, listening to that litany of errors it sounds like you might be jumping with idiots: some people just have a knack of making anything dangerous! (BTW, the DZs I've done most of my wingsuiting at run Caravans, 99s and King Airs. The last guy to hit the tail? Flat and stable belly solo;) No kidding.)

In terms of the inherent risk involved, I'd say you add at least as much every time you drop a canopy size as you ever do strapping a wingsuit on.

Dude, listening to that litany of errors it sounds like you might be jumping with idiots: some people just have a knack of making anything dangerous! (BTW, the DZs I've done most of my wingsuiting at run Caravans, 99s and King Airs. The last guy to hit the tail? Flat and stable belly solo;) No kidding.)

In terms of the inherent risk involved, I'd say you add at least as much every time you drop a canopy size as you ever do strapping a wingsuit on.

i am from florida and jump with some of the most skilled people to put on nylon. did ya happen to see last months edition of parachutist? the 25way vertical challenge? i guess the other 24 are idiots?[:/] keep trying bro. i learned to ws out of a 182, i know the dangers and dont turn a blind eye to them, but you my friend are another story. good luck with that, i hope you never become an instructor with the advice you give. IT IS ALL ABOUT SAFTEY!
Flock University FWC / ZFlock
B.A.S.E. 1580
Aussie BASE 121

poppycock.

I cutaway at 4500 as I "always" open at 5500 and took another 15 second delay while I flew back to the DZ to mitigate risks of probs if my reserve didnt open well or I bust my leg on landing. no stress, it was like a base jump and I was really glad to have my suit on as it gave me so much more time to set myself up for a clean stable over the DZ deployment at a safe 3000 feet. what more could I have asked for?

I'm glad you're OK, but I hope someone got a close-up video of that, It would be the best vid around. Open, cut-away, fly another 1/4 to 1/2 mile, open reserve. Very Cool B|B|

Life is short ... jump often.

wingsuits in low tail aircraft ARE dangerous if you dont have proper training on exit. miami banned all ws jumps from their plane because of tail strikes. pac750, kingair, caravans. all of these planes carry MORE RISK than any belly/ff exit stable or not.

Our PAC750XL has had infinitly more wing strikes from head down exists (at least three that I know of) than tail strikes (zero this far, but we had a close call once from an untrained newbie).

Its a choice to open the wings early or not, it is not something that just happens by accident or lack of skill (only lack of knowledge).

When jumping out of a plane, there is an enormous risk of dying if one doesn't use the parachute and there's a huge risk of getting hurt if one doesn't use the parachute correctly. We use training to mitigate that risk, making skydiving in general a sport that can be practiced rather safely. It is the same thing with wingsuits. No doubt, it has all the risks you mentioned, but all of them can easily be prevented with a little knowledge (and a sensible choice of main), unlike for example FF where you also need a lot of skill to pull off a transition close to someone without kicking them.

Personally I've traded my V3 for a VX and stopped flying WS because I rather focus on canopy piloting right now and I think the risk of a tiny main and restricted movement in a WS was a too huge risk for me.

i know the dangers and dont turn a blind eye to them, but you my friend are another story.

Why is it that there's a certain class of skydiver that can only respond with condescending judgmentalism as soon as you suggest that [insert discipline in question] isn't as dangerous as blindfolded tightrope walking over a pool full of sharks with frikkin' lazer beams on their heads?

Yes, wingsuiting carries its own risks and you need to be aware of them. But no, it's not grossly out of whack with the risks caried by any other discipline. You'll have more of an impact on your safety every time you downsize.

i hope you never become an instructor.

You're about 4 years too late. And I'd be surprised if even 50% of my students have died wingsuiting since then.

Yes agree with Jakee. Look at the guy profile. 100 jumps in 20 yeas ..!!! he is way too careful. What can he understand about wingsuit skydiving ??? Practically nothing.