PhoenixRising

FWC

After watching this thread for awhile I'm with Matt on this.
Vb, Storm, what exactly is your objection here?

That Justin's material is derivative, based on previous wingsuit instructional works? Of course it is. So is mine. He's done the same thing I did and the ones before me did etc. Took what they were taught, added to it, reorganized it and put it out there. Thats how wingsuit instruction has been done since we started.

I've reviewed his material and coursework. It is thorough. It covers what needs to be taught to students in a systematic manner and sets a fairly high and specific standard for wingsuit instruction.

When I started teaching I invented a self-imposed rule: A wingsuit instructor should be able to catch and stay with anything in the sky, and teach well enough to equip a new bird with all the knowledge necessary to survive their first few flights until they're self-sufficient. At the time, many calling themselves instructors could not. Most of the ones that could, ended up bearing the ratings of the time. BMI, PFI.

Justin has taken this and put it on paper in a defined manner. If you can't catch anything in the sky and teach it effectively you're probably not going to meet the standard and wind up calling yourself an FWC.

I went and got a PFI rating because I wanted the credibility and recognition that came with it. The fact that it was a somewhat rudimentary rating then was irrelevant. What mattered was I couldn't feel right calling myself a wingsuit instructor until and unless the other instructors of the time had checked out my skills and said "ok you're good enough to teach too, and near as we can tell you're doing it right." The price of the rating was irrelevant. The most skilled birds of the time could charge whatever they wanted. It was worth it because they were the most skilled birds of the time.

Justin's new effort is no different. Legitimacy in wingsuit instruction comes from experience and skill and ability. He's got that. I've been flying with him since day 1 and I know what he can do. I've watched him train a zillion birds already. He gets to call himself an instructor and trainer because he can back it up. Can you?

If his rating takes off it will result in another new wave of better educated better trained birds and bird instructors, in turn leading to more. Which is a hell of a contribution to the wingsuit community. If what he's doing results in more, happier safer birds, wheres the problem?

-B
Live and learn... or die, and teach by example.

Another successful weekend here at Skydive Chicago. With five new coaches running throught the program. Congrats to:

Josh Sheppard
Greg Drogaline
Kyle O Donohue
Simon Repton
Ben Lowe

Things are running well. Hoping for some better weather.

Congrats everyone.

J
Wingsuit organizing, first flight courses and coaching
Flock University
Tonysuits

so the difference from WSI to FWC is that the new name makes sure that no students do get killed in the process of being "coached"!?

the new title also insures that no "ratings" do get passed over beers?

WOW, why so bitter? You also got very snide/snipy in a number of posts when another "coach" course was announced, why the Hate? Working towards better more effective training should be applauded. Also having options like this one and the PFC course along with "school" options should be looked at as an opportunity to raise overall standards for wingsuits. Like it or in your case not, this concept is something that is working and there is apparently a demand for it. I will have to take a look in the swooping forum, but are you also taking this same approach towards other discipline specific training or schools like canopy flight schools.

Oh well, it seems that other then complaining about a price associated with the "rating" or I guess more accurately a rating/organization/continuity of training in general, YOU do not really have anything to say about the concept that is constructive. Too bad....

Scott

because of this

:|
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

i'm posting this to the WS-crowd, but just to let you know..

i have received numberous messages not only here but also on other plattforms in quite a threatening way. if this continues, i WILL file a report to the authorities.

i'm sure you dont want to put your friend justin in an even worse place, or yourself for that matter. you know who you are.

i wont name names publicly, but everyone rest assured, it was exclusively people heavily involved or affiliated with flocku. if this doesnt stop RIGHT NOW, i will make sure your mugshots get posted on here as well.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-Yoda

i have received numberous messages not only here but also on other plattforms in quite a threatening way. if this continues, i WILL file a report to the authorities.

i'm sure you dont want to put your friend justin in an even worse place, or yourself for that matter. you know who you are.

i wont name names publicly, but everyone rest assured, it was exclusively people heavily involved or affiliated with flocku. if this doesnt stop RIGHT NOW, i will make sure your mugshots get posted on here as well.

Wow. That's fucked up. Report them to a mod. No need for that.
Phoenix Fly - High performance wingsuits for skydiving and BASE
Performance Designs - Simply brilliant canopies

Wow. That's fucked up. Report them to a mod. No need for that.

at least one is aware. not much they can do about it i guess.

all i'm asking is to keep their threats to themselves and not stalking me on other plattforms.

it's all documented, so if anyone ever fiddles with say my gear.. from all the stories surrounding that group of people, i think it's a possibility. so yea, it IS a threat.

oh, and of course, it is totally fucked up. but i wouldnt expect any less.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-Yoda