alygator

R Bird or Phantom 2

Three people (skydiver and basejumper now in xbird or vampire) who know the 2 suit say that the rbird have a better glide, a better "start" , easy to fly too and have escape slave. But is not precise and unstable when turning (not good for flock or proximity)
The phantom is more agile and precise but have really less performance.
I know it s the pilot who make the suit but this comment is for the same guy (the three to say the same)
So each one have quality and default that s why it s difficult to choose
i ll buy the cheaper i think....

Have a look at my Facebook page, there are three videos from three days of a fairly experienced, taller and lighter dude flying an Rbird. I'm in my P2. Watch me climb on him on every jump @breakoff. Yes...it's the pilot but... This guy has 150 jumps on an Rbird, is taller and lighter.

IMO, it's sad that so many guys go for the "mattress" concept vs learning to fly their body, learning to be (your words) more precise, agile. Learning to fly your body is more important than anything, IMO, and once you have that down... the suit doesn't matter much. It's a tool to enhance what your body already knows to do.
Either way, you'll have fun. These *are* both great suits, and that's why they're difficult to choose.

If you want more max glide than a Phantom2, there is the Ghost 2, if you want a lot more there is the Ghost 3. The suits from different manufacturers are not exactly matched.

Butters: There is no equivalent to the Vampire. It's a very different beast to anything else.

I don't have many jumps, (150), but I have had a chance to demo a lot of suits.

The R-bird is a great solo/flocking suit. It inflates very well, and places less strain on the arms. You can adjust the inside zippers to "tune" your performance to match others. However, it takes a skilled pilot to do aerobatics in.

The P2 is more of an all-around-suit. It is easy to fly, and it does really well at aerobatics. It is a smaller wing, so it takes a skilled pilot to max it out like the r-bird.

Both suits have their pros/cons. It really is about what you want to do with the suit. Demo both if you can, they are both fun suits.

'its a smaller wing' is more indicative of different design philosofy than it is an indicator of performance being less or more difficult.

Some suits fly on large surface area, others more on efficient use of the wing profile.

People often see 'float' as a performance indicator, where (to me) its the combination of speed, agility, glide, fallrates possible, backflying, aerobatics and ease of use.

Regardless of which factor you like, the P2 (or Shadow) both are choices nobody will regret...
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Three people (skydiver and basejumper now in xbird or vampire) who know the 2 suit say that the rbird have a better glide, a better "start" , easy to fly too and have escape slave. But is not precise and unstable when turning (not good for flock or proximity)
The phantom is more agile and precise but have really less performance.
I know it s the pilot who make the suit but this comment is for the same guy (the three to say the same)
So each one have quality and default that s why it s difficult to choose
i ll buy the cheaper i think....

Have a look at my Facebook page, there are three videos from three days of a fairly experienced, taller and lighter dude flying an Rbird. I'm in my P2. Watch me climb on him on every jump @breakoff. Yes...it's the pilot but... This guy has 150 jumps on an Rbird, is taller and lighter.

IMO, it's sad that so many guys go for the "mattress" concept vs learning to fly their body, learning to be (your words) more precise, agile. Learning to fly your body is more important than anything, IMO, and once you have that down... the suit doesn't matter much. It's a tool to enhance what your body already knows to do.
Either way, you'll have fun. These *are* both great suits, and that's why they're difficult to choose.

Could you please provide the name of the video on your page? Many thanks!
For info regarding lift ticket prices all around the world check out
http://www.jumpticketprices.com/dropzones.asp

Butters: There is no equivalent to the Vampire. It's a very different beast to anything else.

Agreed but if you have to compare the suits from different manufactures then ...

Prodigy <-> Intro
Phantom <-> T-Bird
Ghost <-> R-Bird
Vampire <-> S-Bird
Venom <-> X-Bird

... the Phantom should be compared to the T-Bird instead of the R-Bird.
"That looks dangerous." Leopold Stotch

... the Phantom should be compared to the T-Bird instead of the R-Bird.

The OP said he's been offered 2 suits, one is an R-Bird and the other is a P2. How would talking about a T-bird help him?
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

16 weeks?
Hows that possible?

I havent seen any suit go past 6 to 8 weeks the whole last year.
Several people who had longer waiting times, in the end, appeared to have people in between them and PF 'hanging on' to orders untill they reached a certain number.

Vampire series aside, current lead times at PF (P2/Shadow/Ghost/Venom) are about 7 to 8 weeks (busy times, summer almost here), but during the 'low' season got down to 2/3 weeks as well. Anything over that period is usually worth enquiring with the factory to see 'whats up' as it should definately not be 16 weeks.
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Placed my order between Xmas and new year's so its been 16 and since I doubt I will have it by tomorrow its going to be at least 17 weeks... I sent an email to every address I could find on the PF website with no answers what so ever, spoke to my "rep" up here not too long ago saying it should be here soon but no word from PF

Shame too as I was hoping to build a relationship with this company but I will be looking at alternatives for my next suit

:: That is if it actually gets here... otherwise I will be looking at alternatives for 1st suit

I sent an email to every address I could find on the PF website

Im checking several of those accounts daily, and never seen any email from you? Shoot me a PM or email at [email protected] with the name of your dealer, and suit ordered. As anything over the normal 4 to 8 weeks for any suit is simply impossible for the P2, Ghost, Shadow etc.

No clue whats going on, but for sure...something is wrong.
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Small comment aside...lead times going into 12 to 16 weeks can happen for some suit models. The PF Vampire series has had those longer waiting times due to massive amounts of orders (the suit has its own seperate production line).

Knowing several friends of mine with suits of other manufacturers are currently going into their 5th month of waiting, its safe to say wingsuit production is quite similar to rigs and other skydive gear. Popular demand can push back lead times to more than anyone desires. With only 3 active players, and only 2 doing custom sizing/models...there arent many options for 'other' sadly either. But I know both work hard to keep delays down to the minimum.

But as mentioned above, the trouble you've been experiencing leads to me to believe there is something else going on...PM-ed you.
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Ok so a big thanks goes out to Jarno, DSE and SuperGirl for throwing some help and knowledge my way concerning these issues I have been having and getting all this straightened out.

You guys have been great!

Oh and I got my FlySight today so hopefully I will be able to use it soon hehe

The issue was 2 dealers (one of who not a real dealer) in between the customer and PF, causing long lines, and slow communication. Hopefully all sorted now.

For those buying a wingsuit, all PF dealers are listed on the website and if no dealer or rep is nearby, a direct order is always quicker!
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?