skydiverek

Venom from PF is here!

looking at the pics It seems to have those tonysuit type 1/2 ribs inbetween on the legwing main ribs?? are these on the armwing and will we also find them on the V4.

also I would like to know in max glide how much slower the suit would be than V4 ie, if V4 was doing 90mph horizontal would the venom be doing 80 say and what makes this so?

also wondering about the vampires butt defector is this still considered to be superior to a normal legwing it seems to be the only wingsuit left that still has it and tony hasnt copied it? I love the the idea behind it just seems like it would be a little disruptive and draggy for added lift i wonder how a vampire without it would compare??

sorry for all the questions just very intruged??

looking at the pics It seems to have those tonysuit type 1/2 ribs inbetween on the legwing main ribs?? are these on the armwing and will we also find them on the V4.

Jii-Wings is actually the one that should be credited for that. The GS1 already had those in 2006/2007 (and probably the sugarglider before that).
Birdman also briefly used a similar cell setup on the Blade/Firebird in the last series of the suit. (Though they simplified it by not adding a cell-wall in between, and effectivly killed the last 15 cm of the wing, as the stitching pushed it shut.)

The V4 will most likely not feature this setup. Next weekend we're testing some new legwing designs as well that dont feature this half cell setup.

also wondering about the vampires butt defector is this still considered to be superior to a normal legwing

Testing shows its the cleanest way to get airflow over the last part of the legwing, which has several advantages related to burble/pull. And the bulge the deflector creates cleanly connects with the rig, making for a smooth airflow over the whole back, again also aiding in a much cleaner pull/deployment.

The reason no other suits in the PF line-up use the system, is that the V3/V4 are designed for performance only, and thus dont feature backflying inlets (which would not allow for the back deflector design, and would mandate a design more similar to the one found in the phantom etc)
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

also I would like to know in max glide how much slower the suit would be than V4 ie, if V4 was doing 90mph horizontal would the venom be doing 80 say and what makes this so?

So far jumps on the same location in France, show the Venom doing similar speeds as other 'big wing' designs. Taking roughly 5 to 10 seconds more to pass the same point (tree) thats normaly at the 18 to 22 second mark. Which indicated the V4 being almost 1/4 faster.
The speeds seem comparable to the fwd speeds flown in the V3. Only showing increased glide, so passing the same point higher (also related to the much faster start). With a big tailwind the Venom seems to fly further, yet in no wind/upwind situations the V4 so far seems to fly further by quite a large margin.

The larger wing of the Venom and comparable big-wing designs make for a bigger surface that not only slows down the vertical speed, but also adds a lot of drag to the forward speed. Jump out of the plane with a 3 meter flag/tube, and jumps out of a plane with a 5 meter flag/tube. You'll note the increased size presents more drag, and slows down the jumper more.

We're seeing a similar effect on these bigger suits. The higher speeds make the V4 a lot more agile and give the pilot a lot more visual feedback related to the glide-angle over low terrain. The higher speed also gives a flyer more range when it comes to flaring out of a tight corner. Which is one of several reasons Robert/JNO etc prefer that one for base. Jokingly the Venom and V4 are refered to as the 'Cruiser' and the 'Lamborgini' in the product line, related to their different flying speeds and handling characteristics.
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Awesome posts. Finally some to-the-point informative and comparative stuff. If only all the posts were like this!

please step up moderators and ensure only posts like this get on this forum, maybe then we can resurrect some credibility around here.

I'd better start saving for my " Lamborghini "

please step up moderators and ensure only posts like this get on this forum, maybe then we can resurrect some credibility around here.

Darren, you realize what you're asking would mean we would have to delete 99.5% of the posts in this forum. No one forces the users to type on their keyboards. The most plausible and easier solution is for the users to step up and stop the BS posts and petty bickering that most are tired of. This forum is what the users make of it with in the confines of the rules. If the many would make it clear to the few that the brand war, petty arguing and " X copied Y's design" BS was not wanted, not only on here, but in person when you see them eye to eye, perhaps we would see a change in the quality of threads and posts. Until then, expect to see the perpetuation of the BS by those select few.....or until HH installs the "shit bird" over ride feature on the forums that allows the MODS the ability to make people post like mature adults.;)
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

or until HH installs the "shit bird" over ride feature on the forums that allows the MODS the ability to make people post like mature adults;)

Such a feature would rock though...would mean other mods dont have to step in to unlock threads some mods decided to censor and keep clean for their own benefit, and would actually make everyone posting equals:P;)

Its easy to talk down to people.....but make sure the same rules apply to every post thats being read, watched and/or kept clean to actually validate whats being said....;)
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Have you and LouDiamond ever considered marriage counselling? :P
Sorry I just couldn't resist...I guess that wasn't very mature of me, but hey I am a skydiver after all, and not even a good one.
I think the mods do a fairly good job of not censoring too much, and I actually enjoy the "light hearted" bickering back and forth, but really get annoyed with the ones who attack another personally and try to tell them how stupid they are, or take themselves so seriously the good information they have to share gets lost or disregarded due to their douchebaggery.
The last part not directed at you Jarno(or LouD), you have a nice "light hearted" way of telling people they are smart like dumptruck ;)

ORGASMO RODRIGUEZ
If your gunna be dumb
You better be tough

I realise its asking an awful lot ! Thanks for the youtube link, I often wondered where that guns n roses quote came from....

Suggestion : WS forum splits into 2 ( just like base forum has )

Section 1 : WS TECHNICAL

- very heavily moderated ie...just posts like Jarno's above allowed

Section 2 : WS BS

bring your brand war here ! for all those silly people who like to bicker and call each other names ( you know who you are )

This way we get the best of both worlds. If I want to read up on my next dream PF suit, then I go to the Technical forum. If I want to laugh at the ego's of the people in our sport I go to the BS forum. Or maybe I just stay in the Technical forum and not have to wade through tons of BS for little gems of important stuff!

Any chance ? Please ?

Finally got a chance to put a jump on a Venom. Nearly cleared 3 minutes despite spending the first half of the jump flocking with a P3, and trying to backfly and ending up head-down for a few seconds since it was my first jump on the suit. Around 7k I broke off high and flew hard for a little while, covered so much ground I had to turn around at 5k and then pull high at 4k so I didn't pass the LZ up again. That last bit from 7k-4k seemed to last forever. Neptune had me at 29mph at 6k ft, and I don't even think I was maxed out. Lowest speed I've ever been in a wingsuit. What a freaking huge suit. Pull was simple though. I do not think I'll be buying one for flocking, too big to be practical for me (probably buy a G3 instead), but it would be fun for solo puffy swooping if I could afford an entire extra suit just for that purpose.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com