LetsGoOutside

Shadow?

Looking for a good flocking/formation/acro suit and the Shadow seems to be the right tool for the job. It just looks like it will be fun to fly. Thinking of picking one up, but would like to get some input. I haven't seen any reviews on it here other than the old prototypes which look nothing like the modern rendition.

It's obviously not as high performance in fall rate/forward speed/glide as the bigger suits, but I'm curious as to what kind of difference to expect. If I'm on a flocking dive with mostly big suit folks, will I be a pain in their asses to stay down with?

Really glad to see a suit like the Shadow on the market. After a decade on wingsuits and despite all the advances and enlargements which give these massive freefall times and distances, I really just want a suit that is fun to fly ten, twelve times in a day without thinking about it. Just more into acro and flocking -- having fun in the flight itself -- than I am concerned with statistics.

I have a Shadow, and love it. But I'm biased ;-)

It's the right tool for flocking unless you are very heavy, in which case a Ghost might be a better option.

I only have about 30 jumps on the suit but average flocking fall rate over entire jump is 45mph - 60mph depending on the group. (Sub 50mph were jumps with people in Vampires 3s)

By "big suits" I'm not sure if you mean Vampire style or Stealth style? For sure someone skilled in those suits can out run or float you, but they need to try to do it. They can fly comfortably with you if they want.

Some people will say that you have more "range" in the larger suits. Well of course you do, but what is the point if you only use one end of that range?
Some people use this range as a crutch in case they go low on the formation, I wonder do these people also use a camera jacket when doing 4way? Or a super baggy suit for freefly?

Don't take my word for it, borrow one and see. They have very similar performance to Phantom2, so if you can't try a Shadow try a Phantom2. Flying style is a bit different, but it'll give you an idea of the performance.

For what you are looking for, the Shadow ticks all of the boxes and more.

In flying its quite similar to the Phantom.
If you check this video of last years Z flock, or the wingsuit competition, you'll see mee flying it (orange suit...actually visable in most recent videos of ours).
On belly and back, it suits 99% of the flocking and flying I do. Even when the speeds are higher, these 'small' suits have quite a large performance envelope. Its a joy to fly especially for aerobatics, where you're not 'fighting' the huge surface area of bigger suits to make clean barrelrolls/transitions and messing with long grippers on docks etc.
Especially on the back, its an awesome suit.

In flying, the body position (palms down, no grippers) makes for very clean flying, with big reactions hidden in the smallest of movements.

Even for distance and performance, the suit has an awesome range.
In terms of previous (commercially availlable) versions, there is only one Shadow, with the only difference be some small construction/material details in the latest one. But performance-wise, all the same.

Im lucky that I get to fly a lot of different demo suits, but even with the whole PF range within arms reach I keep grabbing this suit from my gearbag. I am a rep. for PF, so take my oppinion with a grain of salt. But maybe look up DSE to demo one. Even though Id gladly say> get one...Im a firm advocate of always trying a suit before you buy it.

We'll also be at Zhills this April with a load of demo suits..
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

I have some Winter weight to shed

Sadly know this one all too well....luckely they dont count this as luggage during flying, or I would have to leave my rig at home with the weight I added over the last 2 months:P
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

I would second what Jarno said.

The difference being that I stand at 5'5" and weigh 120lbs without gear, so I'm not exactly a standard-sized person.

I love my Shadow because for me (small as I am), the range is immense. I don't have to flock with my arms swept back like I do with the Phantom 2. At the same time, I've had no problem getting in 2+ minute flocks with people in X-birds (at DZ's where ground level is 5000', no less).

I also agree re: backflying and acrobatics. Backflying is a damn joy in this suit.

In spite of its acrobatic capabilities, the longer leg wing gives a lot more forward speed than a standard Acro 2, which makes exiting last and catching a 22-way flock an easy thing. Jarno at one point said 'This is what we probably should have made the Acro from the beginning' - I'm inclined to agree.

Again, this is from the perspective of a smaller guy...but Jarno seems to have had no problems with his, which suggests to me this is a very versatile suit, whether you're small or of average body size. Grab a demo if you can - and if you can't, but like the Phantom 2, I don't think you can really go wrong with the Shadow for the purposes you describe.
Signatures are the new black.