Ronaldo

R-bird or S-bird?

For those who have flown both which one would you recommend for flocking and why? I'm 1,86m/ 83kg (6'2"/ 182lbs).
According to TS website the R-bird is targeted to flocking while S-bird is more of a performance suit so I guess the R would be the one for me but I'd love to hear from people who have tried both.
BTW, sure I would love to fly before buying If I could only find someone to send a demo suit to Brazil (I'm still trying).
Thanks
Engineering Law #5: The most vital dimension on any plan drawing stands the most chance of being omitted

I've flown both, and I like both of them.

I'm assuming you're already an exprienced wingsuiter and this isn't your first suit. If that's not correct, my suggestion will change.

You're taller than I am but about the same weight. I think you'll find that the R-bird gives you enough power and ease of flight as you'll need for flocking, but if you really want the ability to do max flight from time to time (like, at breakoff) you'll want the S. It is a little more challenging suit to fly at pull time than the R (but nowhere as hard as the X), but if you're comfortable with your deployment technique you should be fine.

For what it's worth, I often prefer my S-bird to the X-bird because it's got almost the range of the X and it isn't as much fabric to deal with at pull time. I haven't yet jumped the X2 or the other new models (e.g., the new version of the Apache).

I'm not a Tonysuit rep so I no idea how you could get a loaner. I'm sure someone could come up with an idea, though...

Good luck and let us know what you decide to do.
Skwrl Productions - Wingsuit Photography

Northeast Bird School - Chief Logistics Guy and Video Dork

I saw in your other thread you're coming to Florida; Sebastian has a big box o' wings plus Jeff is there as Tony's rep.

Probably at the end of May, do I have to wait that long?:D
Engineering Law #5: The most vital dimension on any plan drawing stands the most chance of being omitted

Shadow - accept no substitute.

From what little I've seen of them the S and X wing are WAY too big for someone of your build flocking. As are the Ghost 3 and Venom.

i am 6' ish and 150lbs, i fly an rbird, i can get well over 3 min out of it, averaging 33-38mhp, you do not need an extremly large wing to get long times in the sky.... i saw a guy change suits 3 times at the 25way vertical challenge, going from an sbird and a weight belt with 6lbs, to an rbird, to a tbird that we finally got the record on. when you flock you have to dive /sink into your slot, its allot easier to fly a smaller suit into your slot than it is to fight against fabric all the way down to a slot. try them both before you buy, btw your arms will thank me if you decide on the smaller suit!

ive flown intros, tbirds,raptors,rbirds,
sbirds,xbirds,and x2s. and i bought an rbird
Flock University FWC / ZFlock
B.A.S.E. 1580
Aussie BASE 121

oi ronaldo, if flocking is what you plan on doing most of the time when you put on your wingsuit, then the r-bird is going to give you everything you ever want out of a wingsuit. you will love it!
flocking of course can be done in the bigger suits as well, on the 68way in elsinore or recently on the vertical 25way people were flocking their x-birds and s-birds. of course these big suits demand more experience and skills and again if what you mainly want to do is flocking it´s just not necessary to bring these big toys.

you might wanna check out this very cool website, maybe these guys can help you out with an r-bird as well

http://wickedwingsuits.com/

até logo ;-)
You see things; and you say, 'Why?' But I dream things that never were; and I say, "Why not?"

Hello Sam,
Thanks for the tips. I also believe the R-bird would be probably the best option. I don't really need those extremely large suits since I'm not planning to do performance flights.
I believe I'll have a chance to fly a Phantom2 in one or 2 weeks so this will be a good opportunity.
I was contacted by Simon from "wickedwingsuits". He was extremely helpful and offered to even build an R-bird to my measurements in case I wanted to demo. Unfortunately, the total cost of a 2 month rental (minimum) would be too high.
Safe skies

no worries ronaldo, glad i could help!
and yes, take every chance to demo whatever suit you can get your hands on. there are a lot of good products out there. having flown myself many of the suits available these days i have to say if you in the end decide to buy the r-bird you won´t regret it. for shure it´s one of the best all around suits out there!

blue skies
You see things; and you say, 'Why?' But I dream things that never were; and I say, "Why not?"

We will be adding R & S Birds to the rental fleet over the next few months but by request only. Contact me if you are interested.

Who knows...before long we will have an X2 & Apache in the fleet!

Simon

Simon
What is the difference in arm and leg wing surface area between the 2 suits?

is this even a useful question for someone deciding between R and S?

cheers

Craig

Simon
What is the difference in arm and leg wing surface area between the 2 suits?

is this even a useful question for someone deciding between R and S?

cheers

Craig

Hi Craig,

The S has more arm AND leg wing and the progression onto it should be respected. To put it into perspective I just ordered my own S Bird after putting in 300 flights on my R. I haven't yet mastered the S so I won't pretend I am an expert on it but it is a popular suit for the right pilot.

Simon