DSE

Venom, V4, PIA and Wingsuits

I'll be doing a couple presentations on Wingsuiting at PIA, hope to see some of you there.
The bigger reason to attend is that the Phoenix-fly Venom and V4 will make their US Debut at the PIA symposium in Reno.

Ya wanna be the first to see it; you know where to go. The suits will travel to Elsinore for a while following PIA.

hey riaan,

i guess you are right. in the last years tony has set the standart and now the others copy his designs.
but that is just a normal thing. look at lexus for example. this is how the business goes.tony for shure understands it as a compliment ;-)
You see things; and you say, 'Why?' But I dream things that never were; and I say, "Why not?"

Aside from both cathering to the same market (slow/floaty) up close the different suits show very different design solutions and construction methods.

Its easy to jump on the bandwagon without looking at what was designed by whom first. Everyone deserves his compliments, but make sure you credit everyone correctly for their input and design.

Tristan and I made a cardboard wingsuit design 5 years ago which is scary close to the stealth2/xbird/venom...and that one wasnt even seen with the competitors suit in hand checking at how its made...did tristan and I invent all the above suits?
Only so many ways one can draw an outline around a human body..:ph34r:

A lot going on in WS land..but seeing the process up close, definately no copying.

Slow floaty flying aside....Give that V5 a try....thats a whole other beast...;)

JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Thank goodness. It wouldn't be a thread about new products without the obligatory brand wars :)
Wingsuits all have wings, does that mean everything is a rip off of Icarus?

Phoenix Fly - High performance wingsuits for skydiving and BASE
Performance Designs - Simply brilliant canopies

hey if i made a point at all, it was that it´s perfectly normal in that kind of industry that you take the best there is and try to make it better to please the desires of the customers. generally speaking. i am not into brandwars.

i guess you can understand that people seeing that new product of course get reminded of the xbird...

remember the stealth2 competition? the wings on that suit reminded everybody on the x-bird as well and it made perfectly sense to try that after the x-bird dominated the performance competitons so clearly (looking at the results of the paralog website)

i have flown a lot of pf wingsuits and they are good products! don´t get my last post wrong.
You see things; and you say, 'Why?' But I dream things that never were; and I say, "Why not?"

...does that mean everything is a rip off of Icarus?

Only the ones that fall apart easily.

(Daedalus never gets any credit...)
Skwrl Productions - Wingsuit Photography

Northeast Bird School - Chief Logistics Guy and Video Dork

dominated the performance competitons

Which one and which rounds...?B|
I only see the same top 3 to 5 of skilled flyers, some of those scoring top 3 regardlessof brand, depending on what year you check. There's a lot you can see in those competition results, but pilot skill and build seem the biggest aspect next to A LOT of training.

Of course not counting the windy top distance results that most people refer to. I also see Phantoms outscoring some of the top flyers in HUGE suits on top flyers in some years.

Fly both suits, and than judge how similar they are...that as informed an oppinion as you can get...B|
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

i agree with you. if it would only be the suits than this competitions wouldn´t be any fun at all. and i am with you on the windy thing as well but the wind is the same for all competitors on the same load and in gransee for example everybody is on the same load.
so let´s take the two disciplines that are saying something about the performance of a big suit (cause you asked what i was refering to)
who can stay up there longest (time) wind is no factor here.
who can fly the biggest distance (distance) wind is a factor. so just compare competitions results not total values.

i was just refering to 2010 but 2009 is not really different.

let´s stick to time here

wings over gransee training

http://www.wingsuitcompetition.com/ppc/showevent.php?category=Time&event=Wings+over+Gransee+2010+-+Training&units=metric

wings over gransee final results in time (i think it´s a phoenix fly event)

http://www.wingsuitcompetition.com/ppc/showevent.php?event=Wings%20over%20Gransee%202010

wings over marl final results in the main event (which was time)

http://www.wingsuitcompetition.com/ppc/showevent.php?event=Wings%20over%20Marl%202010

it was always x-birds on the podium. and a lot of skilled flyers in stealth2´s competed as well. now i am really interested and looking forward to see phoenix flys new toys on the competitions!

competiton (not only these competitions but competition in general for example the competiton between tonysuits and pf) is good for everyone. since every company is wanting to create the best product, the customer is always the winner!!

agree?

... and a lot of skilled flyers in stealth2´s competed as well. now i am really interested and looking forward to see phoenix flys new toys on the competitions!

I heard there is a "so large it's not stealth anymore" suit somewhere... So large it can be landed like a frisbee :D
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM