lonedfx

My Stealth2 conundrum

Hiho

Haven't posted much before here, i guess this will double as an introduction :)

So I'm thinking of getting myself a stealth2, but it's quite a bit of money to spend so I wouldn't like to be making an obvious mistake. Basically my question to you all is, why shouldn't I get one ? I can think of those reasons:

- I don't have enough experience for it ?

I think I do, I have close to 200 wingsuit jumps, about 120 with an sfly expert, 75 with an sfly access (yes, that's staying way too long on that suit, i agree). Were I to order the suit now, I would be at around 170 with the sfly expert when i receive it, assuming i keep my usual wingsuit-to-freefly ratio (and around 600 total, which is what french regulation requires to fly a stealth2). The PF documentation recommends a minimum of 150 ws jumps for the stealth2. I think I'm alright.

Of course, a number is just a number, and you guys haven't seen me fly, I could have been falling uncontrollably for hundreds of times ;). I think I do okay though.

- Regardless of number of jumps, i'm too new to skydiving ?

This is quite possibly true... though I seem to fill the prerequisites, i've only got 2 years of skydiving under my belt, and maybe i'm not giving myself enough time to assimilate what i'm learning.

- I'm too lightweight, a stealth2 makes no sense for me ?

I'm 161cm, 55kg, which does usually keep me above the flock, but that's why I don't plan on flocking with that suit at all. Because few people at my dz jump a WS as often as i do, i end up mostly flying solo (well, the plane doesn't count right? :P). I love doing so and trying to optimize my performances, so the motivation here would be to use the stealth2 for long solo flights, and to keep the smaller suit for flocking (and in fact, the vast majority of people i meet in france use sfly expert suits, so that would make sense). That's actually the reason I've chosen the stealth2, because it seems to be one of the suits that, combined with my small weight, would give me the best results in solo flight times (not in speed though, I realize that, but that's okay).

- A stealth3 is going to come out soon, better wait ?

I don't know that it is the case, though maybe you guys have heard rumors. I'm sure I would still love my stealth2 but I would definitely cringe a little ;)

Other than that I can't find a good reason not to get one. I've asked these questions around me, but there is not much PF knowledge in the immediate vicinity, I thought I could use the opinion of people who have some comparative experience.

Of course you can't really decide from this that it's definitely the suit for me, but I'm hoping that you could tell the opposite, that IF it's definitely NOT a suit I should get, you guys can tell me now and avoid me finding out the hard way :)

Otherwise, my mind is basically made up, unless you stop me, I'm going for it. So go ahead, tell me why I should'nt buy this suit :-)

If long, sustained floaty flight is your primary goal, then it's hard to argue against a Stealth2. You're right; no one here knows how you fly, so you have to make those determinations yourself. Assuming you're stable in the Expert (still a big diff from the Stealth) you should be able to master a large wing pretty easily.
Keep in mind; you're ordering a custom-made suit, so whatever you order and receive will be the latest possible incarnation of the suit.
At your weight/height, you'll definitely be more a leaf than a rocket in any large suit, but since you've already stated that this is your goal....

If long, sustained floaty flight is your primary goal

Well, it's one of them anyway, but it's definitely the primary goal when I'm flying alone.

Assuming you're stable in the Expert (still a big diff from the Stealth) you should be able to master a large wing pretty easily

I'm assuming it will be much harder on the arms though, but what you're saying about stability is definitely reassuring, I've read (and seen) a few things (here and elsewhere) that gave me pause with regard to large suits.

I think you'll find the newer, large suits to be less (not more) pressure on the arms than you might anticipate.
Learn to exit, fly stable, cleanly deploy in a big suit for several jumps before anything else (big suits aren't great for acro anyway). Stable belly flight isn't terribly difficult in a big suit if you have a fair amount of experience.
Floating on solo jumps is a LOT of fun, IMO. Good tunes, last one out, and 3+ mins of flight is sweet at sunset.

I think you'll find the newer, large suits to be less (not more) pressure on the arms than you might anticipate.

I was thinking more surface = more pressure on the arms, but thinking it through, the slower vertical speed is going to compensate at least some of that...

Floating on solo jumps is a LOT of fun, IMO. Good tunes, last one out, and 3+ mins of flight is sweet at sunset.

Well, 2:20 is the best i can do here ;) but so completely peaceful... add a few clouds here and there and a retarded smile just gets stuck on my face for the rest of the evening :P (well, the beers after that might be partly to blame too).

hello

before you buy anything, try to jump a Phantom2. You will be surprised. And with your kilograms, I think you will never need a bigger suit... to flock... and dock :P

au revoir

Indeed, the Phantom is an outstanding suit (my #1 go-to suit), but if long, floaty, sustained flight is the goal vs flocking and docking (OP), then the Stealth2 is da' bomb. My first three min flight from 12.5 came on my first Stealth 2 jump and I'm a massive fatass compared to the OP.

actually the absolute best would be to get 2-3 suits :)

One for flock, one for time, one for speed ? :) How about a 4th, for style ! B|

Nah....just put on a weightbelt. You'll get the speed from the Stealth if you load it up.:P

Nah....just put on a weightbelt. You'll get the speed from the Stealth if you load it up. :P

Yeah i've been doing that a few times for RW but then it's the load under canopy that threatened to become an issue ;) It's alright, I seem to be in the flock range with the sfly (well, the flocks i've flown so far anyway).

However, I was browsing the forums and saw a bunch of photos of the incoming ghost3, it seemed very similar to the stealth2... has anybody here flown both and is able to talk about the main differences in how they fly? Just from the looks, the armwings do look very similar. The legwing on the stealth2 still looks a bit bigger tho. Is that correct ? Just trying to get a grip on the lineup...

Overlaying the two, the Ghost is a conciderable size smaller. In performance its an amazing step up from the Ghost2. We all couldnt stay up with the Ghost3 backflying at 100%, it outflew us both
in fwd speed and fallrate. BackFlying it at 75% or so, Bavo had 2 phantoms a shadow and a profly flying their max to keep up. Its definately a great suit, and unlike the big carpets, doesnt push for the insane in wingsize. Remaining very agile and fun to fly even at low wingloads.

Depending on your size/exp may have one you can demo..just pm me..
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

The arm strain on this type suit would be less. When this, or other large suits (Super mach 1, Stealth, etc.) inflate, they are pretty rigid in their shape, and you are basically almost along for the ride. You have to actually "take control" of the suit. Maybe ask for a loaner from the manufactor first, to try it. A serious point to make is to keep it "shut down" more than usual out the door. It takes almost no wind to fully inflate, and can catch you off guard. It may fly you right back into the tail. You only get one chance with the tail. Good Luck.
Life is short ... jump often.

A serious point to make is to keep it "shut down" more than usual out the door. It takes almost no wind to fully inflate, and can catch you off guard. It may fly you right back into the tail. You only get one chance with the tail.

Something I was recently reminded of after slipping off at the door and ending up in flight inside the frame, ooch. I balled up really quickly but according to the pilot, didn't miss by much. Not my proudest moment.

... and my suit is *small*.

That's the kind of reasons I'm not entirely convinced that I do have the expertise for these big suits yet.

I think in the end it may simply be wiser for me to wait until I have a chance to meet an instructor who actually has hands on experience with those big suits, and can demo several models, before I actually get one of my own.

The arm strain on this type suit would be less.

Its kind of a double thing, as arm-strain is less, but at flights that are half to double your normal flight times, you get the added factor of fattigue that can seriously wear you down and turn an otherwise manly deployment into a whimpy toss of a politchute..

Both ways, these suits offer fun new performance levels, but should always be treated with respect for the extra factors they add to the safety, operation/flying. Experience is everything....the more you have it..the better..
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?