HGpilot

Hang gliding question.

Though it may come across disrespectfull to you, thats also how your posts come across to most others.
Based on a 1950's prediction of a flying car everyone will own in the year 2000, you kick down anyone who doesnt accept your fantasies on what may be.

No matter how correct they turn out, they ARE fantasies at this point. And arguing about what will happen (and in the process talk to a lot of knowledgeable people with severe disrespect) is quite pointless.

Fly a wingsuit!
Humans are not birds, and a wingsuit is not a hangglider. Which ever direction things evolve..try being part of it in an active way.

We truly get 2 or 3 similar emails (from other people) with
ideas every week. And its always the same...sticks and carbon fiber arm extentions, basically telling us how to realise Leonardo DaVinci's batwings from mewer materials.

Its truly not a new or original idea....(nor realistic).

Do you skydive? If not..START! You're missing out on a lotof amazing flying fun...
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

By my calculations 2021, is only 10 years away not 20 at - least going by the Gregorian calendar.
It is highly unlikely that wing-suits will improve by the same amount over that 10 years as they have over the last 10.

Patricks suits (1998) were claimed to have a GR of 1.5-1.6. The new suits coming claim to be up to 3.0 but I'd expect very few pilots to be able to get that and it may not be sustainable for very long.

All of the low hanging fruit has been picked, there isn't much room for adding extra surface area without turning the suit into a hang-glider. The human air-frame limits how thin you can make the suit and materials aren't going to change significantly in just 10 years. As Matt pointed out trees don't grow to the sky, you can't just take the trend from the past and extend in a straight line.

Everything you have written above is hot air, and stinks of the wild claims made by previous "designers".

It's easy to sit and type how you are going to do this and that but the reality is you don't even jump! With respect you are ignorant of the subject about which you write. How about getting a 100 wingsuit jumps under your belt and come back to us, I guess that'll take a couple of years out of your 10.

I'm not going to completely dismiss you, hell, most awesome inventions were invented accidentally by crazy people so you never know really..

No they weren't, not really. Most awesome inventions were made by competent engineers who did the work - lots of work.

People who come up with pie-in-the-sky ideas like this without having done any of the ground work to establish a solid and feasible plan always like to lay claim to the legacy of the Wright brothers - "People said they'd never fly!" - but IMO they're way off base.

They're often much closer to the legacy of the Alchemists. People told them that turning lead into gold through a simple chemical process was impossible. And it was.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Sooo... about that $5000 bet... any way to make it enforceable? or at least slightly more official looking?

Cmon Skwrl, work your lawyer magic here. I wanna see a signed document by both parts. I will gladly keep a copy in my records and re-post it on here in 2021 and go "haaaahahahha"

This thread is beyond silly. But who am I to talk...:P

p.s. - Sangi, nice post!

p.s. - Sangi, nice post!

That wouldnt have been in my prediction for 2011 had anyone asked me...but indeed...nice post..

Also see you're jumping more lately...who knows...will we see Sangi join our ranks in 2011...?? B|
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

hehe, thanks for the kind words :)
However the more I jump, the more I realize how much I suck at it and how much I actually don't know.. Wingsuits always fascinated me and that's definitely a future goal, I'm just not sure when it's going to happen..

For now just trying to enjoy every occasional jump I get (which is rare as it is).

Cheers :)

"Dream as you'll live forever, live as you'll die today." James Dean

I think we all owe Giselle an appology....

Check it out! Wingsuit Gliding and Climbing!

Video

Mccordia,

Your irony and disrespect, is sad, (please dont came with sweet words now, because you and lurch already done your show of politeness, vision and education)

People have different views, different ideas, and everyone should respect each others opnions, I respect the opnion of you and Lurch that nothing is going to change and that wingsuit will never soar, it is ok and respect that, now could you please respect me view also? and stop calling me a monkey, an idiot, a twilight dream and many other disrespectful words?

You dont know me to treat me this way, I've been involved with flight since I was 10 years old, the desire to fly inside me is since I was a kid. At the age of 13 I build myself a immense Hangglider made of wood(bamboo) and plastic just by looking on books, as I never had saw one before. I had a peregrine falcon for 2 years witch fly free and come back on my hand.

I've been connected with everything that have wings that you could think of Birds of Prey, RC's, Trikes, HG, PG, Planes, I have collections of aerodynamics and avionic books, I study since when I was a teenager.

Apart from being an advanced paraglider pilot, I graduated myself in all those courses, and also graduated in Biology and made my specialization in Birds.

I designed a few concepts of aerodynamic bikes, helmets and few RC's.

People who see me working as a model, think its just a beautiful look with no abilities. When in the other day Im over 3000 meters high up on the sky with my paraglider.

I'm now starting my journey inside the wingsuit flying, and I do want to meet intelligent, open minded, respectful nice people on this sport.

We all share the same passion, doesn't matter what, HG, PG, WS. and I think you should have more respect with people you dont know, people who have the same passion for flying as you do.

All the best...
Lauren Martins - www.youtube.com/user/gisellemartins20

I'm now starting my journey inside the wingsuit flying, and I do want to meet intelligent, open minded, respectful nice people on this sport.

Awesome....looking forward to meeting you someday, and seeing a sense of realism and practical knowledge on the limits of the human body added to that.

There is no irony or sarcasm in my posts..only a black sense of humor most people in here have, thats servely entertained by your frustrated screaming on how a FANTASY of yours (as thats what it is, untill or IF it comes true) isnt accepted as REALITY.

Hopefully once you actually step into this world, you'll see we are not all evil a##holes and start to understand what it actually is we do...
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

I told myself I would stay out of this but here goes...

Gisele, you are a 23 year old woman... surely you know better then to come to the internet for respect

I for one hope your ideas make ground and help advance whatever field you push them to but this is the internet make like a duck and let it slide

That said I might as well answer the OP lol

I like all things that fly, I think HG is cool and I would love to jump from one but wouldn't spend time and money learning the ins and outs when I could spend them flying my body trying to reach for a friend's hand at high speeds

I like all things that fly, I think HG is cool and I would love to jump from one but wouldn't spend time and money learning the ins and outs when I could spend them flying my body trying to reach for a friend's hand at high speeds

+1
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-1 and then some

I would LOVE to fly HG, to hell with the time and hope for the money. Skydive, BASE, wingsuit, PG are ALL excellent. All worth every bit of time and money. I seriously hope to learn to fly HG someday, the more I watch the more I want it. Not to mention Yves Rossy, holy fuckin cow! And hot air baloons. Gliders. Jetpacks. Speedwings. Wouldn't spend the time or money? My flyin' ass!!!!!!!!!

Sometimes you eat the bear..............

Nice! I was at Fort Funston last summer, too strong for PG at the dumps but the hangies were having a blast at the fort. I think I'll keep my wings in the air and stick to SCUBA for submerged sports.

Keeping on track here: It was not strong enough to soar my wingsuit but I would if i could.

What's the sushi like there?

Naturally depends where you go but can be spectacular. You can also stuff yourself silly on the cheap with local make-it-yourself sashimi. As I recall we had incredible sushi in Phoenix a few years back thanks to the miracle of air freight. The weather's rotten but I might go dive for free uni tomorrow. :)