michalm21

Come on PF! I want to see new toys :)

On a shortish jump (25-30 secs or so) it sounds like Venom and V4 give very similar overall average glide but the Venom is slower.

How does the average glide compare over longer jumps, say something that would be about 90 seconds in a v3/v4?

What is the advantage of the Venom, is it just the slower speed which some may prefer? Rumor is both have a shorter start than the V3. Are they similar in that regard?

I suppose another way to ask the questions is:
1) which has the shorter start?
2) which has the best glide when maxed?
3) is there much difference in the two suits regarding these two parameters?

Both seem to have a similar short start (judging videos I have here, start flying pretty much straight from exit). The speed on the V4 is definitely a lot higher. In terms of glide, I see both suits end up roughly in the same spot, but the Venom will probably benefit a lot more from prevailing winds. Even the slightest push in the back will translate to more distance on some of the longer jumps.

I think the V4 is more deliberate in its design for close terrain flying. The higher forward speed gives the suit much more power related to flaring, and in terms of handling the suit seems to be much 'crisper' in how it steers and turns (see N4S for Robi doing complete 'knife edge' style banking turns, with all wings open).

The Venom will probably be a bit easier in terms of accesing a nice performance, be it with the slightly more sluggish steering controls that come with the slower forward speed.
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

The Venom performs better on several fronts and thus will replace the Stealth2 in the production line.

Tracking Suit, Prodigy2, Shadow, Phantom2, Ghost3, Venom, Vampire 4 is the intended line-up for 2011.

A lot of R&D currently going on at the other side of the flying spectrum also hints at an interesting new development from PF further down the line...adding something new to this lineup....but what do I know...exciting times for sure..
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

The past week Ive been busy updating the color designer, to conform with the changed color paterns in all suits (as the order forms had updated paterns, where-as the designer still featured the old ones).

Midway into next week, the program should be back up, with a 2nd update sceduled later with some new toys added to the PF production line-up.
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

I hear V4 will have phantom/ghost etc type scoop intakes for legwing instead of mesh??

I always thaught they stuck with the mesh for speed of inflation I wonder whats changed maybe (read just me speculating) all wings are ducted together somehow ie, whichever inflates first can then aid the other wings in inflating. but then again if they done this they could do away with the legwing inlets alltogether and just have the armwing inlets (which seem to be the most effective) running all 3 wings. wouldnt be to hard to do now the armwing extends down to the leg.

Thats a V3.5
One of the many prototypes. For those with a keen eye and a lot of time on youtube there are videos going back to 2009/2020 showing hints and other ideas tried.

For the Venom we had one model with only arm inlets and interconnected cells to the legwing (and no inlets), and though pressure was okay, it presented a lot of difficulties in flying with unwanted steering and dives due to air migrating to one wing or another is a surface moved. Collapsing of the armwings turned the legwing into a concrete object during pulltime, due to all the air getting forced into it.

Again one of many ideas...the costumer only gets the working finalB|

JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

there are videos going back to 2009/2020 showing hints and other ideas tried.

Whoa they're going back to the FUTURE? now that's some crazy ass shit. I've always known PF was way cool, but that's even more awesome than I thought!:P

That's just how we mother fucking roll baby! We don't even use the word 'past' any more. ;)
Phoenix Fly - High performance wingsuits for skydiving and BASE
Performance Designs - Simply brilliant canopies

There have been some upgrades to the pants recently (often refered to as the 'wide' option) with some changed shape/outline in inflation around the hips. We're looking at making this an option or standard on all suits with the release of the new style orderforms (already online for several suits).
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?