Mac

WS Flying Drills

So just looking for advice on progressing skills as efficiently as possible.

I have 20 jumps on Birdman classic (6), T-Bird (13), and R-Bird (1)... I have recently bought myself a T-Bird I am yet to fly, but apart from the basic flight position stuff I have been messing around with previously(slow, speed, swoop n stop, etc) is there anything you can suggest trying out and focusing on to help progress flying skills?

Should I concentrate on flying position as I have been, or should I try out loops, rolls, back fly, etc to get a real feeling for the air and the suit?

I am looking to get the most out of each jump at the moment, (I cant afford to bang in lots and lots each weekend) so would appreciate some pointers on what to be aiming at for the moment.

Thanks in advance.

No WS2 yet, I did a WS2 jump on jump 6, and was advised to "tidy" up a little bit more... Which was very much justified.

Thanks for that guide above...

Think ill just have to travel from my usual DZ to find other WS fliers next year...

Just like Butters & Costyn recommended, get comfortable doing acrobatics. Then move onto the other stuff.

Speaking of Costyn, he & Jarno have put together a dive pool for WS competitions which is pretty freakin' awesome. Once you get really comfortable with the stuff on the proficiency card mentioned earlier, I think that's an excellent resource.

If you find another wingsuiter who's of comparable skill (or someone better who's looking to work on their skills), go pull 2 of those blocks out of the hat, then go up and drill them over and over. Spend a day doing it (same dive flow), and look at the improvement.

FS & VFS competitors build their all-around skills using this approach - but not a lot of people seem to do it in wingsuiting. I think if someone spends time drilling specific red zone skills, they'll find themselves progressing much faster than most.
Signatures are the new black.

I see more and more people who only have 100-ish wingsuit jumps, who put people with 5 times that number to shame in terms of skills.

Working on a lot on close contact relative flying skills (docks and transitions) makes one progress at a much faster rate than always sticking to non-contact flying.

in 2009 we had several teams come to the competition without previous experience at docking. The year after most where doing 8 to 9 docks per jump, with transitions etc. After that...flocking comes easy...
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?