kitof1976

Who should reline a canopy? Rigger? Master Rigger? Factory?

Yes, I do have strong opinions because as a Rigger you should.

As a rigger I do. My statement was that as a someone not holding an FAA rigger certificate that you had strong opinions on the FAR's

PD use the BLUE Nylon "F" thread on the line/stab. for a reason & this is the way it should be.

And what would that reason be?

Sparky

Why is a rigger an expert on interpreting FARs? FAA lawyers and administrative law judges are the ones that decide what the FARs mean, not riggers or pilots or A&P mechanics.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Why is a rigger an expert on interpreting FARs? FAA lawyers and administrative law judges are the ones that decide what the FARs mean, not riggers or pilots or A&P mechanics.

They are not, but most try to understand them as best they can. After all they are they (Part 65, Part 105) are the rules we are expected to know. Just as a Pilot is expected to know and under stand those FAA Parts that pertain to flying a plane.

As a pilot you should already know this.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

They are not, but most try to understand them as best they can. After all they are they (Part 65, Part 105) are the rules we are expected to know. Just as a Pilot is expected to know and under stand those FAA Parts that pertain to flying a plane.

As a pilot you should already know this.

Sparky

Pilot or not, in case of any dispute about the meaning of a law or regulation, the arbiters are the judges, not the pilots. If it were cut and dried, then there wouldn't be a monthly column in AOPA's magazine by an aviation lawyer (John Yodice) on the FARS and their interpretation.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

>Should it be changed? I think it should be changed.

Why? Have we seen any fatal/serious accidents due to insufficiently experienced jumpers or riggers relining canopies? I would suspect that you could more easily cause a fatality by repacking a main incorrectly than by relining a canopy incorrectly.

Should it be changed? I think it should be changed.

Why?

I think it is silly that somone with zero rigging experience is allowed to do anything they wish to a main canopy. There should be some sort of requirement to rigging on a main canopy. I think it is just as silly that someone with zero training can go jump a Velocity 97 without an AAD or RSL and no Instructor for their first skydive. I recently read an article that described skydiving as "Highly regulated" by the FAA. I had to laugh. I don't think it should be, but whoever sold that to the reporter should have gone for broke and tried to sell the skydivers breathing through your skin thing too.:P

Hopefully HQ, FAA will be faster to respond than the Denver FSDO.

Derek

I don't. If someone with 0 hours experience can build and fly an ultralight, than the same can be said for main parachutes. There's no reason for the government to get involved and criminialize the act of fiddling with a main canopy.
--
drop zone (drop'zone) n. An incestuous sesspool of broken people. -- Attributed to a whuffo girlfriend.

The FAA has a lot to say about ultralights compared to skydiving main canopies:

FAR Part 103 Ultralight Vehicles

SOURCE: Docket No. 21631, 47 FR 38776, Sept. 2, 1982, unless otherwise noted.

Subpart A - General

§103.1 Applicability.
This part prescribes rules governing the operation of ultralight vehicles in the United States. For the purposes of this part, an ultralight vehicle is a vehicle that:

(a) is used or intended to be used for manned operation in the air by a single occupant;

(b) Is used or intended to be used for recreation or sport purposes only;

(c) Does not have any U.S. or foreign airworthiness certificate; and

(d) If unpowered, weighs less than 155 pounds; or

(e) If powered:
1. 1. Weighs less than 254 pounds empty weight, excluding floats and safety devices which are intended for deployment in a potentially catastrophic situation;
2. 2. Has a fuel capacity not exceeding 5 U5. gallons;
3. 3. Is not capable of more than 55 knots calibrated airspeed at full power in level flight; and
4. 4. Has a power-off stall speed which does not exceed 24 knots calibrated airspeed.

§103.3 Inspection requirements.
(a) Any person operating an ultralight vehicle under this part shall upon request, allow the Administrator or his designee, to inspect the vehicle to determine the applicability of this part.
(b) The pilot or operator of an ultralight must, upon request of the Administrator, furnish satisfactory evidence that the vehicle is subject only to the provisions of this part.

§103.5 Waivers.
No person may conduct operations that require a deviation from this part except under a written waiver issued by the Administrator.

§103.7 Certification and registration.
(a) Notwithstanding any other section pertaining to certification of aircraft or their parts or equipment, ultralight vehicles and their component parts and equipment are not required to meet the airworthiness certification standards specified for aircraft or to have certificates of airworthiness.
(b) Notwithstanding any other section pertaining to airman certification operators of ultralight vehicles are not required to meet any aeronautical knowledge, age, or experience requirements to operate those vehicles or to have airman or medical certificates.
(c) Notwithstanding any other section pertaining to registration and marking of aircraft, ultralight vehicles are not required to be registered or to bear markings of any type.

Subpart B - Operating Rules

§103.9 Hazardous operations.
(a) No person may operate any ultralight vehicle in a manner that creates a hazard to other persons or property.
(b) No person may allow an object to be dropped from an ultralight vehicle if such action creates a hazard to other persons or property.

§103.11 Daylight operations.
(a) No person may operate an ultralight vehicle except between the hours of sunrise and sunset.
(b) Notwithstanding paragraph (a) of this section, ultralight vehicles may be operated during the twilight periods 30 minutes before official sunrise and 30 minutes after official sunset or, in Alaska, during the period of civil twilight as defined in the Air Almanac, if:
(1) The vehicle is equipped with an operating anticollision light visible for at least 3 statute miles; and
(2) All operations are conducted in uncontrolled airspace.

§103.13 Operation near aircraft right-of-way rules.
(a) Each person operating an ultralight vehicle shall maintain vigilance so as to see and avoid aircraft and shall yield the right-of-way to all aircraft.
(b) No person may operate an ultralight vehicle in a manner that creates a collision hazard with respect to any aircraft.
(c) Powered ultralights shall yield the right-of-way to unpowered ultralights.

§103.15 Operations over congested areas.
No person may operate an ultralight vehicle over any congested area of a city, town or settlement, or over any open air assembly of persons.

§103.17 Operations in certain airspace.
No person may operate an ultralight vehicle within an airport traffic area, control zone, airport radar service area, terminal control area, or positive control area unless that person has prior authorization from the air traffic control facility having jurisdiction over that airspace.

[Doc. No. 23708, 50 FR 9259, Mar. 6, 1985]

EFFECTIVE DATE NOTE: By Amdt. 103-4, 56 FR 65662, Dec. 17 1991 §103.17 was revised, effective September 16, 1993. For the convenience of the user, the revised text follows.

§103.17 Operations in certain airspace.
No person may operate an ultralight vehicle within Class A, Class B, Class C, or Class D airspace or within the lateral boundaries of the surface area of Class E airspace designated for an airport unless that person has prior authorization from the ATC facility having jurisdiction over that airspace.

[Doc. No 24456, 56 FR 65662, Dec. 17 1991]

§103.19 Operations in prohibited/restricted areas.
No person may operate an ultralight vehicle in prohibited or restricted areas unless that person has permission from the using or controlling agency, as appropriate.

§103.20 Flight restrictions in the proximity of certain areas designated by notice to airmen.
No person may operate an ultralight vehicle in areas designated in a Notice to Airmen under §91.143 or §91.141 of this chapter unless authorized by ATC.

[Doc. No. 24454, 50 FR 4969, Feb. 5 1985, as amended by Amdt. 103-3, 54 FR 343311, Aug. 18, 1989]

§103.21 Visual reference with the surface.
No person may operate an ultralight except by visual reference with the surface.

§103.23 Flight visibility and cloud clearance requirements.
No person may operate an ultralight vehicle when the flight visibility or distance from clouds is less than that in the table found below. All operations in Class A, Class B, Class C, and Class D airspace or Class E airspace designated for an airport must receive prior ATC authorization as required in §103.17 of this part.

Airspace

Flight Visibility

Distance from clouds

Class A (18,000' MSL & up)

Not Applicable

Not Applicable

Class B (former TCA)

3 statute miles

Clear of Clouds.

Class C (former ARSN)

3 statute miles

500 feet below. 1,000 feet above. 2,000 feet horizontal.

Class D (radio controlled tower)

3 statute miles

500 feet below.
1,000 feet above.
2,000 feet horizontal.

Class E: (open airspace)

3 statute miles

500 feet below.

Less than 10,000 feet MSL

1,000 feet above.
2,000 feet horizontal

At or above 10,000 feet MSL

5 statute miles

1,000 feet below.
1,000 feet above.
1 statute mile horizontal

Class G: (open airspace)

1 statute mile

Clear of clouds.

1,200 feet or less above the surface (regardless of MSL altitude)

More than 1,200 feet above the surface but less than 10,000 feet MSL.

1 statute mile

500 feet below.
1,000 feet above.
2,000 feet horizontal.

More than 1,200 feet above the surface and at or above 10,000 feet MSL

5 statute miles

1,000 feet below.
1,000 feet above.
1 statute mile horizontal

Derek

I think it is silly for someone with no training to reline their canopy.

I think it would be very silly to make your first jump on a velocity 79 with no goggles or altimeter or aad.

I think it is even sillier for the government to make laws about our parachutes.

The FAA does have things to say about ultralights, but nowhere does it say who can build them, maintain them, or fly them. Just some operating rules, and definitions.

If the word parachute wasn't already defined by the FAA, I'd call it an ultralight.

Pilot or not, in case of any dispute about the meaning of a law or regulation, the arbiters are the judges, not the pilots. If it were cut and dried, then there wouldn't be a monthly column in AOPA's magazine by an aviation lawyer (John Yodice) on the FARS and their interpretation.

Arbitrators, judges, cut and dry or articles by lawyers, you, as a pilot-in-command, are still required to know and understand the FAA parts that apply to your operation of an aircraft. You may not like it and you can argue all you like, but that is the way it is.
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals