Chris-Ottawa

Difference between Phantom2 and Phantom2z

Yes it is. An older P2 that belongs to my brother, but even on MY P2 there's absolutely no reason for a BASE pouch. The arm wing is just too small. Hell, I even flew a X-Bird at z-hills without having any issue getting to the BOC, though if it DID have a BASE pouch I would likely use it.
Muff #5048

Interesting, this suit is a P2, but belonged to a Phoenix Fly Coach, maybe it was special order?

Question remains...I'm assuming I can use my normal BOC, even if the suit has a BASE pouch?

Your suit was a demo suit, not built for a PFC as a special order.
Use your BOC. Check the integrity of the Velcro on the pouch from time to time.

So it's common practice to build a DEMO suit with a BASE pouch? Seems counter productive...no?

If it was a V3 I could understand a bit more, but on a Phantom, the Intermediate suit that many instructors will put a FJC student on?

Maybe for resale value for a BASE jumper, but still...
"When once you have tasted flight..."

Demos often stem from incompleted sales or factory seconds. No PFC is going to use a BASE pouch for a student. BASEjumpers also demo suits. Just because the pouch is there doesn't require its use and it doesn't impast the skydiving performance nor experience. It can be, and often is, ignored.
Enjoy your new suit!

Seeing as you are probably refering to solo BASE practice/training. I fully agree.

yeah.. the majority of my base PC jumps were solo or small ways where there was no bumping and grinding going on. So I'd tend to agree with this as well.

I have stopped jumping it as I do feel that the risk does not outweigh the rewards for using it anymore. It was my belief in the past that due to the "huge" wing of the s3 (keep in mind I was jumping wingsuit back in 2001 / 2002 when they were realtively new) i felt it was safer to use the base pouch. I don't recall what year the S3 came out, but I had one of the early ones I think.. 2003?

Kevin

S1 in 2001
S3 in 2003

I also bought my S3 back than, after jumping classics and an S1 for a year or so...
Back than it was concidered huge:P
Imagine walking up to a boogie back than with a Stealth2 or Xbird:ph34r:

No kidding.. and I seem to recall the S1's small leg wing made for some interesting flights on that suit... ahh back in the good ole days.

No kidding.. and I seem to recall the S1's small leg wing made for some interesting flights on that suit.

I think thats an over-marketed aspect...
The suit could get a bit wobbly when flown max...the small legstance made it quite easy to backfly though...

S1 wasnt perfect, but far from the horror suit some people make it out to be:P
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

I just replaced the entire tail on my S1. Widening it by 10", to reduce the twitchyness. I also put high leg zipper grabbers on it ( Tony Suit style ). Also grippers, with a slight wingtip extention ( a little 4" triangle ). The new grippers are running parallel with the leading edge of the arm wing, attached on the rear of the hand hole. Haven't jumped it modified yet. I also put high leg zipper grabbers on my Vampire 2, and Shadow. Also replaced the old junky spandex and collar on the V2........I've been busy...... Hope the S1 is less twitchy now.
Life is short ... jump often.

Like Spot said I would love to see pics of the work. It sounds like you did it yourself? On the leg wing how did you approach the expansion, 5" on each side ? Maybe the 10" in the Middle? How about cells? The other ad-ons I can easily see and have done but the leg wing adjustment and what you did is of interest.... Again, would love to see some pics.

Scott
"He who Hesitates Shall Inherit the Earth!"

I can't post my Skyflier pics on this site. They exceed the upload size for the site. Even though they were taken with a Gopro. I've tried cell phone pics before and they are too large also. I don't know what people use to get under the max upload size.......?

Thanks DSE. You're welcome to post them. I had Pete Swan (Lodi) look at all three suits for a professional opinion, by the way, and he gave them an OK to fly. He did note though, that I should use Nylon thread, not Polyester. Polyester thread won't stretch with the Nylon Rip-stop and nylon thread will.

I can't post my Skyflier pics on this site. They exceed the upload size for the site. Even though they were taken with a Gopro. I've tried cell phone pics before and they are too large also. I don't know what people use to get under the max upload size.......?

There are plenty of places you can share it e.g.:picasaweb . Linking to here is enough for now.