LukeH

FlySight navigation mode

For the directionally challenged:

FlyBlind is a modified copy of the FlySight software that adds direction and distance modes. It take a set of GPS coordinates from the settings file and works out what direction that location is from you current location (relative to your current heading) and how far it is. This is then relayed to you via audio tones in a similar way to glide or speed information.

It is an early proof of concept version, but initial tests look good. I'm posting it here in case anyone else is working on something similar or would like to test it. This version is not intended for general use.

It has had very limited testing, but is available here for anyone that is comfortable with loading and using test software on FlySight. It can be tested on the ground and you can go back to the old software at any time.

Does the frequency of the tone change according to the distance to the target only ? If so how about changing it according to the glide ratio between you and the target ? The higher the pitch, the more you are in the red zone for landing back at the DZ.

Another navigation mode that could be done would be to use stereo output to signify left and right as well as pitch for up and down (ie, left ear + high pitch means the target is to the left and higher than the current trajectory). One could imagine the ability to program 3D waypoints and be guided by what becomes a sort of audible ILS.

Then you give the same track to a bunch of people and calculate points based on their deviation from established flypath (like, say, on a website where people can post their data).

Of course, the idea of flying solely based on the information given by an electronic device instinctively makes us say no to these kind of games, and that's probably a good thing. In the case of wingsuits though, the flights can last for such a long time that it's not hard to imagine that with a few rules worked out, this could be done entirely safely (well, as safely as flying wingsuits is anyway).

Another navigation mode that could be done would be to use stereo output to signify left and right as well as pitch for up and down (ie, left ear + high pitch means the target is to the left and higher than the current trajectory).

From looking at the schematic and, if I recall correctly, what has been said by Michael (crwper) this is not possible as the the tip and ring on the jack are wired to the same line.

Edit: LukeH, nice name FlyBlind :D

The original FlySight supports two modes of indication. Mode 1 is the pitch of the beep, and mode 2 is the frequency.
With FlyBlind software you can set Mode 1 to indicate Direction or Distance, and Mode 2 to the other. Or you could set both modes to Direction. You choose which way to use it.

I've only used it for a couple of jumps but my preferred setups so far are:

Both mode 1 & 2 set to indicate direction.
The tone goes from the lowest pitch just to the right of the desired heading all the way around through 360 degrees to the highest pitch just left of desired heading. This makes the pitch change at the desired heading very obvious. The frequency also getting faster as you approach the desired heading. By doing this you can tell how close you are to the heading and which way you need to turn. The beeping ceases if you are +/- 5 degrees from the desired heading. I find this the easiest use when concentrating on other things like other jumpers.

Mode 1 set to direction and mode 2 to distance.
The Pitch works more or less the same, it just doesn't go silent when you are very close to the right heading. (If it was silent you wouldn't hear the distance feedback.) Approaching the destination is represented by an increasing frequency.

The FlySight hardware doesn't support separate left and right channels.

You safety point is quite valid, and I thought it was obvious that just like any other indicator device, pro-track, altimeter etc they should never be relied upon entirely and do not replace skill. Thanks for bringing it up, I should have pointed it out earlier.

I've made a few minor updates to the software. Mainly to tidy up the code and add options to silence the device below a preset altitude or if more than a preset distance from the destination.

You can download the compiled software from: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/13230955/Main.hex
Sample config file for navigation: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/13230955/CONFIG.TXT

Instruction on how to install are here: http://flysight.ca/wiki/index.php?title=Firmware_upgrade

It should work OK, but hasn't had lots of testing, specifically it hasn't been tested in different hemispheres which may effect some of of the calculations. I suggest testing on the ground in a car before taking to the air.

FlyBlind has been updated to version 1.1
This adds the Chirp and SAS functions from Flysight's Beta firmware (dated 11/8/11).

Download from same link as above (http://dl.dropbox.com/u/13230955/Main.hex). After installing rename your config.txt file and allow Flysight to create a new one to see the new settings.

Use at your own risk, it still hasn't had extensive testing.

This got tested pretty well in the UK this weekend and was fantastic! 3.5m exit point from a skyvan at 120knts and you really want to be flying in the right direction back to the DZ! (We do occasionally have the odd bit of cloud over here) Thanks Luke:)

We used this software a lot in Soulac and Gap.
To be honest: It was awesome!
Spike flew base on his back a lot of the time and he always flew right to the dropzone. (sometimes it was hard for us to see the DZ due to the clouds)

If the weather is good, I will test the new software this weekend above Texel (NL).
"The 'perfect' parachute jump was thought to be one where the opening shock and touchdown were simultaneous" -Lyle Cameron, ~1965
---
Falling-With-Style.com

I upgraded to the latest and greatest and am having issues. I want a home file (CONFIG-HOME.TXT) to test navigation and a dropzone file (CONFIG-DZ.TXT). Am I doing something wrong in these files?

PS: I removed the home coordinates but verified that they are correct with another user.
"That looks dangerous." Leopold Stotch

They look ok to me.
What is happening, are you getting no tones, incorrect tones or constant un-changing tones?

How far are you from the destination Lat/Lon when testing?

Did the previous version work for you?
Try using Mode = 5 and Mode_2 = 5 and see if that works.
(It should work the way you have it, but try just as a test please)

Can you PM me the Lat and Lon values?

So I just pasted the config file from here in to the flysight after the upgrade but changed to lat./lon. for my DZ

Is there anything else I need to do?

:: Hey now I tried deleting the config file to get back to the original and it went back to the one I got here. How can I get it back to the original?

You don't have to do anything. Just jump. :-)

Did you test it at home?
(e.g. go outside; make sure it has a lock; copy the coordinates from the log and put them in the config.txt; go outside again an run around the neighborhood.)
"The 'perfect' parachute jump was thought to be one where the opening shock and touchdown were simultaneous" -Lyle Cameron, ~1965
---
Falling-With-Style.com

You shouldn't need to do anything else.

However there does appear to be a bug in the distance calculation when used in parts of North America (and possibly other places). I won't be able to look into that until next week, so in the mean time set the Max distance to destination = 0.

Testing on the ground is strongly recommended. You'll need to tweak a few other settings like min vertical speed for tone when testing on the ground.

It shouldn't take much effort.

Just add a new field to the config file and if it's present use that instead of working out the heading to the destination Lat\Lon.

Depending on how accurately you want to follow the heading you may need to adjust the tone settings as it's silent if you are +/- 5 degrees.

So I can't get it to work, anything wrong with my config file?

You can't put a decimal point in the Lat / Lon.
Leave the decimal point out, and make sure you have 7 dights that would normally be to the right of the decimal point e.g. 460609520 . If you Longitude is West, then it should have a minus sign in front of it.

There is also a know issue in some areas (North America) with the distance calculation. So if everything else is correct and you are getting no tones, set the Max_Dist = 0.

The region that seems to have this problem is further west than 90W and further East than 90E.

In the US, that would be anywhere west of about Lake Michigan. If you want to use the direction indication (Mode 5) in this area set the Max_Dist value to 0 and do not use Mode 6. Hopefully it'll be fixed soon.

It might for you, because you appear to be on version 1.0
Version 1.1 added the option to use SAS and chirp.

You can check which version you have by renaming your Config.Txt file to something like oldConfig.txt and turning your device on for a few seconds. A new config file will be created with the version at the top of it.

Leaving the Max_Dist set to zero is not recommended as a long term solution. Setting it to about 10,000 is a safety measure to prevent you from being directed to an incorrect/invalid location.

It's so easy to update I'd recommend installing the latest.