jf951

sabre 2 135 and a wingsuit

im flying a sabre 2 135 W/L: 1.48:1 and im tossing around the idea of getting a phantom 2z

ive asked a bunch of wingsuit pilots at my DZ and it seems about half say yes, and half say no.

id like some input on this, pros/cons, etc.

also:
can you reach the risers at all on opening with a phantom.

my canopy has a pretty substantial but consistent right turn on opening that i compensate for with the risers
Jump more, Bitch less.

ive asked a bunch of wingsuit pilots at my DZ and it seems about half say yes, and half say no.

Nothing wrong with a Sabre2 for wingsuiting. If you're comfortable with the openings in normal skydiving you should be ok with a wingsuit.

also:
can you reach the risers at all on opening with a phantom.

Not really, no.

You can grab the base of them if you strain, but IMO you're better off just staying level in the harness and learning how to unzip quickly as soon as the canopy's flying.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

my canopy has a pretty substantial but consistent right turn on opening that i compensate for with the risers

Have you attempted to determine why that is yet?
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Have you attempted to determine why that is yet?

ive talked to a few people and ive pretty much just heard that it could be packing or manufacturing

the person i bought it from that he's always experienced the same thing

ive tried different things while packing but all it does is making the opening really squirly and in consistant
Jump more, Bitch less.

If it's squirrelly and inconsistent in a regular skydive, it'll be just as squirrelly and inconsistent in a wingsuit skydive.
IMO, get it to a rigger or better...to PD so that the lineset might be checked, in addition to other potential causes. It might be as simple as the length of the control lines being unequal.
Either way, you won't be able to control it any better with your arms restricted during openings, nor should you be basing the purchase of a wingsuit on how well you can control a canopy that isn't behaving correctly, IMO.

Almost all Sabre2's turn after opening. In 99% of the cases this is due to uneven endcell-closure which is a characteristic of the Sabre2.

What helped for me was turning the other way on harness after opening. This should help to some extend but you really need the risers to fully inflate the opening.
Blue skies!

ive talked to a few people and ive pretty much just heard that it could be packing or manufacturing

Maybe you just pull the right leg strap more when adjusting the harness? Often it is the case, that the right shoulder is slightly lower for a number of people, due to bad habbits of carrying all stuff (either back pack, shopping bag, etc) on the right hand or shoulder. So due to lower right shoulder you might have a natural feel of tight legstraps with the right one pulled more than the left one. Therefore it is very important to look at both loose ends after titghening the legstraps, to ensure that they are really even, not just the harness feels tight.

Exhaling just before deployment can help too.
A lot of jumpers take a sharp inhale just before pulling, and this tenses the body. The tension carries to the harness which translates to lines...
Exhaling just prior to pulling relaxes the body

If it's squirrelly and inconsistent in a regular skydive, it'll be just as squirrelly and inconsistent in a wingsuit skydive.

^^^ that is only when i try to pack it trying to compensate for the right turn, if i just pack it "regularly" it has a consistant and predictable right turn

Almost all Sabre2's turn after opening. In 99% of the cases this is due to uneven endcell-closure which is a characteristic of the Sabre2.

thats what ive heard across the board, someone also mentioned that it's cause they sew it from left to right or something like that.

but regardless i just wanted to get ppls thoughts and experiences with wingsuiting on sabre 2s

thanks for the input guys, and DSE i find my self pretty relaxed during deployment.

the turn is also at the very very end of the opening sequence, like someone else mentioned right as the end cells are opening up, untill then its always on heading,
Jump more, Bitch less.

In the beginning my canopy also had this kind of characteristic. But when I learned to pack properly (i.e. make a symmetric pack job) this problem disappeared. When occasionally the canopy turns to either side, it's possible to counter the turn not only with riser input but also with legs. I am flying sabre 150, it works, Have tried it with sabre 135 and it works even better. And leg wing on phantom is large enough to enable you to move your legs to create significant input with legs.
lego