jmidgley

There's no reliable audible for WS?

Hi

On my first and only flight on my new PF Phantom my venerable old Protrack logged my opening at 11,000'. That's not going to be very helpful. So I came here to see what the word was on audibles. Unless I'm misunderstanding, this seems to be a problem with all of them (fooling them into thinking that you've deployed). Is there a 'least worst' solution?

Phantom=nice WS, by the way!

John

Do note Audible & Logger are two different things.

That aside,, Ive used a protrack for many jumps, and never had issues. Most jumps logged the full 119 seconds. Being consistent in your fallrate is the biggest key. Its massive changes in fallrate that usually cause registered deployments. Not slow speeds in general.

Using an AltiTrack (it also registers canopy flight) or other devices with similar function, enables you to asses the correct deployment altitude afterward via software such as Paralog. Seeing your correct freefall time.
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Have you tried changing the jump mode setting to "slow" on Protrack?

Hi

On my first and only flight on my new PF Phantom my venerable old Protrack logged my opening at 11,000'. That's not going to be very helpful. So I came here to see what the word was on audibles. Unless I'm misunderstanding, this seems to be a problem with all of them (fooling them into thinking that you've deployed). Is there a 'least worst' solution?

Phantom=nice WS, by the way!

John

You need to have a pro-trak with the newer firmware, with the "slow" mode. Other than that, any newer model logger (like a neptune, n3 etc) shouldn't have any difficulty logging your wingsuit jumps, anyway not more than logging usual jumps (which also include the occasional weird reading, due to mving your head/hand or whatnot), but you should have much better results with one of these than using an old pro-track.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

How old is old? My pro trak is 6 + years old and works fine with slo mode.

To the op, set it slo and all should be well :-)
Phoenix Fly - High performance wingsuits for skydiving and BASE
Performance Designs - Simply brilliant canopies

The older (firmware) pro-tracks don't have the slo option at all, hence all the high deployment readings.

Something the Vigil 1 does as well, as a sidenote: if you look in its logbook it will usually log 2 jumper per wingsuit jump :S

ciel bleu,
Saskia

The older (firmware) pro-tracks don't have the slo option at all, hence all the high deployment readings.

"STU" student mode is a good alternative for older units.
But regardless, most premature deployments stem from irregular speeds. Going from a dive into full flare. The smoother your flying style, the better your logging function works.

Upgrading to something like a GPS unit or more modern logger is key if you want this kind of data for accurate logging of freefall times (and enabling you to pass 119 seconds of freefall, the limit on the ProTrack)

Something the Vigil 1 does as well, as a sidenote: if you look in its logbook it will usually log 2 jumper per wingsuit jump:S

Must make one feel very confident about the other functions based on that data by that same device:P
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

The settings allow the device to use a different algorythm (more/less sensetive) to register openings, and exits, so the freefall registered is more correct.

The 119 second mark on the device also stops logging at the altitude where you are at that time. So its always possible to +- calculate what the actual freefall time is, if you know your real deployment altitude.
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

119 seconds is pretty easy to bust. Check the specs online for your model. Neptunes (for instance) don't have the 119 second limitation.

The hardest thing for a logger to do is to figure out what is freefall and what is canopy flight when freefall speeds can be lower than canopy speeds. The easiest way to fool your logger is to increase your fallrate (by diving) and then flare aggressively. The sudden decrease in fallrate lloks like a canopy opening to most any logger. Aggressive break-offs can look like a canopy opening too.

Otherwise, most loggers will work well down to very low speeds as long as the transition to that speed is fairly slow.