saxboy

Tips to fly a wingsuit!

Hello there!

On last friday I received my First wingsuit "s-fly expert".!!
On Saturday I did the first jump.
I thing that I did it very well (first time with this suit and 4th ws jump),but I need the opinion from someone with more experience.
In Greece I am the only one with wingsuit,so I can't ask here for advice.
I have attached the details from my altitrack.

I had coverd some distance,but I am not sure how much klm was.
But I had all my wings and my legs full open.I have read a lot of things here and I remember that the ws needs speed to fly.
So I was focusing to fly as fast-far as I can and I did 55" for 5000ft of fall.

Any advise, tips, or opinion about the photo will be very useful for me.

Thanks.

Hello and congratulations on your purchase of a Wingsuit.

By starting with a larger wingsuit it will be more difficult to learn, it will also be difficult without an experienced flyer to learn from.

The Altitrack data is not particularly useful. The best thing you can do is visit a DZ that has some experienced WS coaches and do some coach jumps there. Failing that at least some jumps with expereinced WS pilots will help.

If both are really out of the question and you really want to do it the hard way, buy yourself a Flysight. This is a GPS system specifically designed for Wingsuiting. It will give you audible feedback while in flight and better info that you can analyse when back on the ground. It really isn't a great way to learn the basics it's better for fine tuning but as a last resort it's better than looking just at fall rate data.

Otherwise it's just trial and error and trying to cover ever longer distances over the ground (trying to take upper winds into account)

Have fun!

Hey saxboy, I'll try and give you the best advice I can for max-glide s-fly flight.

First, I prefer the suit to be as tight as possible, so I route my cutaway cable through the third gromet on the hand-loop to make it very tight. It may not be the same for you, but the third gromet is what works best for me.

I like to fly with my arms as flat and paralell to the ground as possible ( making a curve or scoop with your arms doesn't really work very well for the s-fly unlike other suits in my experience). Keeping my palms facing the ground and rotating my thumbs outwards to keep the wing tight works best for me.

To create forward drive, I like to curve my upper torso very slightly downward toward the earth to create a scoop effect with my upper body. Finding the right ammount of "scoop" will take a little experimentation. (sorry if this is confusing, it's kind of hard to describe).

I haven't ever done much experimentation with subtle changes in leg position, but just pointing your toes as straight as possible works pretty well.

The s-fly is a great suit and will glide surprisingly well if you take the time to learn how to fly it. I put a good 40 or 50 jumps on mine before I was able to really make it glide, but once I figured it out, it was kind of a "eureka" moment.

I hope this helps. Good luck!

Thank you For the replies guys!
@ tommyh
I did the same things with you.
The size is small as I am a small person and I am using the third loop on the hand-loop.

I had the suit as tight was possible.Also I didn't have someone to film me to see if I had my body straight or arch.
Also I did move my arms like you said "making curve or scoop" like the other suits and I didn't notice any different....Correct me if I am wrong please.
That's why this suit is very easy to fly..!(I thing)
I have the feeling that I can keep the same body position for a long time..

Also I didn't try to slow my fall rate to stay more seconds in the air,or something else..
I just left my self to fly as fast-far I can.
But from 8700ft and pull at 4000ft I thing is difficult to do more than 55" flying the suit...not stalling the suit...
Am I right?
This weekend I will try it again to another DZ with porter and 12.000ft exit..
I hope to do it better this time and stay more than 100" flying..

Just for the record,In my second ws jump in arizona I did 82" from 13.000 to 4500ft with a birdman suit..
So I thing the 55" for 4500-5000ft of feefall is way better than the 82" for 8500ft of freefall...:-))

So,in general I thing I did very well,but I don't have experience.So I am asking your opinion-advice.
You guys (the most of you) have more experience than me..:-))

My jump is on youtube HD.Here is the link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLXEWC57nes

don't focus on the recording gadgets. just fly. have fun. buzz some clouds. buzz a tandem:). chase the plane. do some flips and rolls. fly inverted. fly head down, then flare as hard as you can. ...

I am not doing this..
I saw and public the picture only for the diagram of my fall speed.
In my second ws jump in arizona the line of my speed was like "mountains" up and down all the time..
Here is more stable..
I thing it is very helpful to have a stable fall rate right?

I had the suit as tight was possible.Also I didn't have someone to film me to see if I had my body straight or arch.
Also I did move my arms like you said "making curve or scoop" like the other suits and I didn't notice any different....Correct me if I am wrong please.

Make sure your body is straight so your arms !

the main trick with the S-fly expert is to understand the work you need to do with shoulders and chest... the power of the suit comes by pushing forward your shoulders while maintaining your arms straight. Then at the same time give a bit of angle to start moving forward...B| the extra boost can be found by twisting your hand loops turning also forward giving more tension in the suit.

enjoy and if you want to get more, come over for a skill camp;)
Patrick de Guillebon

Hi!
Yes I have in mind a trip to Gap for a skill camp,but not soon due to personal reasons..
I have finished my aff in gap on 2006 and since then I want to visit again this beautiful DZ.
Thank you for these "tips"
I will try it tomorrow..and post again my progress.:-))

don't focus on the recording gadgets. just fly. have fun. buzz some clouds. buzz a tandem:). chase the plane. do some flips and rolls. fly inverted. fly head down, then flare as hard as you can. ...

all good things to do, except the "buzz a tandem" part. guys, let's please not encourage new flyers to do that. it's dangerous, and it's a great liability concern... it's the kind of stuff that takes a bit of skill to accomplish properly and SAFELY for all parties involved...

otherwise... yea, what he said. fly around, do flips, find another flyer, try to stay together, try to dock, then try to dock on the other side, try different exits, and have fun with it.
if you can afford going to a wingsuit boogie, it is highly recommended. you'll be amazed how much you can learn from the good flyers in just a few jumps...

and take a look at the PF proficiency card that DSE posted a while back... it'll give you some more ideas of things to work on.

I will not fly near to anybody for a long time..B|
Espesially to a tandem.. or another open canopy..
It is very dangerous (at least for my level) and it is more "stunt" than "have fun".
In fact you have to discuss it with the other person before do this things..It will not a good surprise to see the other canopy turn in front of you,while you are almost next to him right???
I only want to learn how to fly well this thing..and the best way is to fly and talk with other WS fliers..:)

great! sounds like you have the right idea. yaay!
I just always want to make sure this stuff gets said, even if just or completion's sake... as new people come and read these forums all the time, and I'd hate to hear about some newbie hitting some tandem because they got the idea from dizzie.com

have fun! hope to see you at a boogie sometime...

Saxboy,

Welcome to the flock! Good choice on suit!

Relax, have fun and try to fly with as many other people as possible.

Tensioning the suit with the shoulders and having your chest out are important as well as turning your fingers to point towards your feet instead of out sideways (with your palms down). This has the benifit of pushing your upper arm up into the suit and locking your elbow spreading the tension across the arm wings. You can push against your hand loops to put further tension on the wings but have found that having your hands relaxed is better.

Check out some of the videos and advice on www.FlyLikeBrick.com, which are transferable to all designs of suits!

To quote/copy Zun: Stand about a foot back from a door frame with your arms and legs apart as if in your suit. Lean forwards so that your upper arms are resting on the sides of the frame, push your chest out and hold your head up and push up on your toes. This gives you a slightly head low position, all wings out and should be quite fast. Whilst leaning on the door frame, push a shoulder in without moving anything practicing a flat turn.

Have a laugh at some of my "Expert" flying on www.youtube.com/akatitaniumgecko

Blue Skies,

Ross
www.gathhelmets.co.uk
www.flyyourbody.com

"buzzing" open canopy's doesn't mean scaring the $#!+ out of the pilot/passenger.:o Maybe fly-by is a better word. Passing by 200' - 300' away doesn't add any extra danger. :P And besides, I put a smiley on that part.
Anyways... at least do the have fun part. Stability is highly overrated.

Hey there!

I did today one more jump.
The exit was from 8370ft and pull at 2500ft....:$
I did 65" until the deployment..
I am very happy for this result.(not for the deployment altitude,But I wanted to stay more :-))). )
One question.
If I do turns,am I loosing altitude?
For sure I do but how much?
Because the plane is small (c-182) and we are only three persons in it I can't wait to much before exit from the plane and I have to do a "U" turn to stay close to the dz...>:(

Also what kind of altimeter do you use?
I have the altitrack and I love it,but on this jump after the deployment I couldn't pull my hand from the hand loop of the suit because of the gloves and the altitrack.
So I cutaway the wings (also the hand loops) to go for the toggles..[:/]
It is too "fat" the velcro on the wirst...

Any idea?
Thank you.

If I do turns,am I loosing altitude?
For sure I do but how much?

Much like a canopy, it depends on how flat you make the turn. You can do a slow turn in full flight, barely affecting performance. Or you can do a carving turn, loosing altitude more rapid than a freeflyer hugging a fridge filled with lead...;)

The difference in feel is quite noticable. Just fly a lot...;)

Also what kind of altimeter do you use?

Most altimeters give you that issue with hand loops.
Going for a mudflap mount (many companies make one) doesnt only fix this issue, it also makes your altimeter easier to watch in freefall.
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Going for a mudflap mount (many companies make one) doesnt only fix this issue, it also makes your altimeter easier to watch in freefall.

I have one!!
"The wedge" from Lookma.de and the Viso on it,but do you believe it that in two jumps I didn't check it at all???:$:$

On the first jump I was focused to the flight, because of the low altitude and the first jump with the suit..I checked the altitrack.

Today Because of the same reason I didn't check it at all.
I had it in my mind but I didn't do it..:)
Idon't feel very sure to look on my "chest".
I am afraid for a "dive" or something else...and the low altitude dosen't help me...

Flat turns by dipping a shoulder and not moving arms or legs. Have fun experimenting.

Mud-flap Mount
http://www.dzsports.co.uk/bonehead-mud-flap-alti-mount-360-p.asp

Easy to read in flight and don't have to change/move your arm wings. Bracket can be used to mount any atlimeter.

Most of the time now I use a VisoII in a glove http://www.l-and-b.dk/viso2.html as a very slick solution, which I can read in flight.

I switch to the mud-flat mount when I wear a gopro on the back of my left hand.

Ross
www.gathhelmets.co.uk
www.flyyourbody.com

Thanks for the help guys.
Ross ,I am ok with "the wedge"
I believe it is better than the bonehead because it is flexible and
it is not possible to hurt on a bad landing or something.
The problem is me,because I didn't check it at all.
I will switch the altimeters and took the viso2 on the hand
and I will try it next time.
Also I will try to turn with your way.

Thank you.

It just takes some getting use to.
Take the altimeter of your hand, and only use the wedge. Within 1 second you will look for the right spot, once you see its not on your hand.

It makes flying much more optimal if you dont have to turn your head to watch the one on your wrist...

Just takes a bit of practice..
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Does anyone have any idea how can I mount my altitrack onto the Wedge or on the bonhead altimount???>:(
I can't figure out a good and safe way for it and also easy to remove to on-off the altitrack..:(

I want the altitrack for the logbook and the data..
Also I can't used to the digital altimeters..:$
I prefer the analog style of the altitrack..

Thank you.

Sorry for the quality; Sometimes cell phones suck.

Essentially, the wrist band is going around the mudflap and the Wedge's velcro bands that attach it to the mudflap and around the MLW.
The thumbloop of the Alti is held by the front velcro on the Wedge. In my case, i've left the clear cover on because on occasion I use the Wedge for my Viso.

Hope this helps.

Sorry for the quality; Sometimes cell phones suck.

Essentially, the wrist band is going around the mudflap and the Wedge's velcro bands that attach it to the mudflap and around the MLW.
The thumbloop of the Alti is held by the front velcro on the Wedge. In my case, i've left the clear cover on because on occasion I use the Wedge for my Viso.

Hope this helps.

It helps me a lot..
I was confused with the front velcro on the "wedge" but I thing you are using the "digi pouch" from lookma to attach the front loop of the altitrack right?

Thank you very much..:-))

yOu might be confused because I have a special mudflap cover that goes over the vertical velcro on the Wedge.
And yes, the clear plastic pouch for the Viso is holding the thumbloop in place on this rig. On another rig, it's just a velcro loop minus the Viso case.