millertime24

New personal best

Today I took my P2 on a XC flight. I got out over Hill AFB and opened just over the tower at Ogden Hinkley Airport. The altitude was 11,800' and pulled at 3k. Delay was 133 sec according to my Neptune. When I got to the ground I was flat out knackered.

Well if you consider floating as flying, than very well done!:P

Oh for christs sake not this skygod crap again.
Flying is flying.
Whether he went far enough or fast enough for YOU to consider him to have been flying is irrelevant.

You have no idea how far or how fast he was going in the process of pulling that 133 seconds. Not that it matters.

A guy does a long flight, his best ever to date, of which he should be proud, posts about it here because he's happy about it and your first response is to offer "congratulations" with the thinly-veiled subtext message that you could do much better and what he was doing wasn't really "flying" because it wasn't the type or way of flying YOU would approve of.

F'king skygods. Can't you just be happy for the guy and leave out the criticism? If it meant enough to the O.P. for him to post about it here, guess what?

Motherfucker was FLYING.

To the O.P: Congratulations, man. Bet that flight felt pretty awesome, didn't it?
-B
Live and learn... or die, and teach by example.

Oh for christs sake not this skygod crap again.
Flying is flying.
Whether he went far enough or fast enough for YOU to consider him to have been flying is irrelevant.

You have no idea how far or how fast he was going in the process of pulling that 133 seconds. Not that it matters.

A guy does a long flight, his best ever to date, of which he should be proud, posts about it here because he's happy about it and your first response is to offer "congratulations" with the thinly-veiled subtext message that you could do much better and what he was doing wasn't really "flying" because it wasn't the type or way of flying YOU would approve of.

F'king skygods. Can't you just be happy for the guy and leave out the criticism? If it meant enough to the O.P. for him to post about it here, guess what?

Motherfucker was FLYING.

To the O.P: Congratulations, man. Bet that flight felt pretty awesome, didn't it?
-B

Thanks for addressing me as a SkyGod for the first time!

Just go and ask some RW/belly flyiers about who can have the longest freefall time from 13000 to 3000 feet!

Oh, man! I got a solo belly jump and I was sucking myself up all the time. Wow! It was amazing! I could hold it for so long!

Flight time does not tell anything about the quality of a jump.

This is DZ.com

You troll and you get trolled, either deal with it or don't post.

:P

P.S. Good on the personal best, I know that achievements make you feel awesome, keep rockin man :)

"Dream as you'll live forever, live as you'll die today." James Dean

Yes actually, it does. It says that Miller enjoys flying enough to want to stay aloft longer, improve his technique until he was able to, and be happy about it when he has achieved it.

And for all you know, he could have covered 6 miles in the process. Is there some minimum distance or speed which he must cover before you would consider him to be flying? 3 miles? 5? What exactly qualifies you to judge or scorn what other birds are doing, why they are flying, and whether they have earned the right to be happy about it?

Attitudes like yours are what make some people feel rejected or judged, become disgusted and walk away from the sport. Here's a tip: If you find yourself stepping on somebody else, for whatever reason, it means your feet are pressing them down. And while you're stepping on someone else's joy, you are not flying either.

Miller, you'll see a lot of these guys in wingsuiting. Ignore them or they'll suck all the joy and fun out of it for you. Whatever you do, for the love of flight do NOT let their attitude, approval or lack thereof decide for you what your standards should be, or consider their judgment binding upon you.

Flying is not enough for them so they must invent complex technical reasons to elevate themselves above you, put you down and try to make you think you're not doing it right unless THEY say you are. YOU decide whether it was a good flight or not.

Fly for whatever reasons you want to fly, whichever way suits you best, however you feel like doing it. If you just set yourself a new best, I'm guessing you're enjoying the hell out of that new purple P2... those things are great. Every additional second you're able to stay aloft, regardless of what patronizing guys like phoenix here might think is another second in which you were living really intensely and being wicked fucking happy and THAT, is the essence of flying. Right on!
-B

On most performance competitions, the best times in freefall are scored on the distance rounds. For sure, one can end up practically stalling out a suit, in an effort to 'go for time'. But good long freefall times for sure dont mean you are flying a suit wrong/badly.

Well if you consider floating as flying, than very well done!T

how do you know he was floating? Did you see some GPS readings and wind data that he didnt see?

Just go and ask some RW/belly flyiers about who can have the longest freefall time from 13000 to 3000 feet!

Sure..I know several who brag about their freefall times and fallrate when doing all out tracking.
That aside...the intent of their jump isnt flying far, of flying for a long time. Its turning points. If I set out to make a long jump, and thats what i do...it seems I had the most quality jump I can imagine..;):P
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Actually man, I should think perhaps I don't spend enough. I very seldom post here anymore, and in the process abandon the forum to the trolls and skygods.

If I don't speak up when I notice this kind of thing being said, guys like Miller might think guys like phoenix here represent a majority attitude and quit, feeling bummed out and disgusted, unwilling to share our company because they want to fly, not be criticized. And that'd be a shame, wouldn't it?
-B

Attitudes like yours are what make some people feel rejected or judged, become disgusted and walk away from the sport.

Attitudes like these can be found in every aspect of skydiving, not just wingsuiting and life in general as well..

You just have to deal with this, I mean we're not kids anymore..

Anyways, I know that once he checked his neptune the feeling he had was much stronger than the negative one he received here and that's what matters ;)
"Dream as you'll live forever, live as you'll die today." James Dean

you'll see a lot of these guys in wingsuiting. Ignore them or they'll suck all the joy and fun out of it for you. Whatever you do, for the love of flight do NOT let their attitude, approval or lack thereof decide for you what your standards should be

Flying is not enough for them so they must invent complex technical reasons to elevate themselves above you, put you down and try to make you think you're not doing it right unless THEY say you are. YOU decide whether it was a good flight or not.

Wow that whole paragraph sounds like it could be directed at the latest breed of wingsuit super instructor/ coach. Lurch I know you are not directing it at them likewise I would never either.

To the OP don't let the mean people get you down.... next thing you know you will end up a 50% er like me.:D

Actually man, I should think perhaps I don't spend enough. I very seldom post here anymore, and in the process abandon the forum to the trolls and skygods.

If I don't speak up when I notice this kind of thing being said, guys like Miller might think guys like phoenix here represent a majority attitude and quit, feeling bummed out and disgusted, unwilling to share our company because they want to fly, not be criticized. And that'd be a shame, wouldn't it?
-B

Actually, I don't think he's too bothered about comments like that. It takes a lot to bum Millertime out, and armchair-quarterbacking on dizzy.com doesn't do it. I'm familiar with the area he jumps at because I've jumped there as well, and the SHORTEST distance he could have flown (getting out over Hill AFB and pulling at 3k over Ogden tower) was 2 miles, and was more likely a bit longer than that. Sooooo...he's proving the physics that forward speed causes the suit to generate more lift, having fun, and getting better at flying his new suit in the process. Where's the down side? :)
The best things in life are dangerous.

You know guys, I see nothing wrong with teaching somebody how to fly faster forward or further, its just another useful set of techniques. I just have a problem with people copping an attitude like theres something wrong with flying for time and coming off like its "not really flying." Its the same attitude shown by guys like Yuri, trying to mock the flock disciplines as "f-ten-cking", and sounds more like the bitterness of a guy who thinks he's an expert but hasn't learned to use his own suit and can't get shit for freefall time himself.

Hell. 3-4 years before wingsuits caught on here I had nobody else to fly with most of the time so I spent a couple years just mastering the art of longflight. Hundreds of solos before I got into flocking. There is an amazing amount of technical subtlety to be learned that way, and if I hadn't done those flights I could have had an entire career of flying suits totally oblivious to all the techniques I discovered that way.

For me, then, freefall time said EVERYTHING about the quality of a flight. Taking my old GTI or S-6 up, feeling out a new technique, and staying up so long everyone else was landing by the time I deployed, then landing myself and seeing on my own Neptune the ever-longer flights I was getting from refining combos of techniques was VERY rewarding. Later I learned to combine all those tricks with various forward speed techniques for even longer flights and higher speeds, and the subtle art of it continues to keep me a happy flyer to this day. If it involves exiting an aircraft with a wingsuit on its flying, and thus it is awesome.
-B

edited for inaccurate statement

You are 110% correct.
Enthusiasm, the smile, the feeling of accomplishment at the end of the jump cannot be quantified with numbers. Numbers merely provide a benchmark for that individual's own reference.

Congrats, Mike. You had a jump that is memorable, exciting, and different from previous jumps. You'll have more.

Thanks everyone. I was just trying to practice maxing the suit using the coaching I got from Justin Schorb. The flight style was identical the the coach jumps he did with me at the WS over Utah event. I told the pilot to give me 3 miles past the last person out. I made it back and had a great jump. I will add that once under canopy and everything unzipped I just sat in the harness for a good while before unstowing my brakes just to get some feeling back in my arms.:D Looks like Ill be spending even more time at the gym.

Muff #5048

You'd best head west. Weather is beautiful in Elsinore.

Douglas it is raining at Elsinore right now ( you don't have yahoo weather?) But we can can go kite surfing & Big water jet skiing at the beach just like real 50%ers.

Or did you mean the xrw is beautiful at Elsinore?