likestojump

What's your preferred flght time measuring device(s) ?

As quiet as this forum is right now, maybe I can get some useful info :)

Since upgrading to Ghost2 I keep stalling out the Protrack and the Neptune2. So far the only reliable "timer" I found was my video camera. A guy here flying an X-bird just wears a stop timer (yes, for real).

has anyone found something that works ?

Video. Beyond certain fallrates and durations none of the devices I've tried worked worth a damn.
A Neptune is ok up till about the 3 minute range, after that it gets more and more unreliable.

I test flew the new Altitron to see if it was something I'd buy. With a big speedometer display option I'd been hoping to use it to calibrate flight technique. Turned out to be completely useless. An all-out flight can easily be mostly low-30's and below, and its minimum detectable fallrate is 37. I had it mounted on my mudflap and spent much of the flight watching it. The display was blank almost all the way down. At one point I banked a bit steeply and the display briefly woke up and said, "37", then went blank again. I returned it to its owner. I've heard good things about the altitrack but haven't jumped one, although I've watched the playback mode used by another wingsuiter and it looks like a good recording function with the unfortunate limitation, as with all the others, that you only get to see it after the fact. And its ability to discriminate between wingsuit flight and canopy flight and pin down the transition point from one to the other is still somewhat erratic.
-B
Live and learn... or die, and teach by example.

GPS-logger: time & speed & 3D on Google Earth... All flight parameters in one device.

But only on the ground...afterward..
I prefer MP3 player with music...depending on finishing the song before pulling..I know I did 3:24:P
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Paul,

I have had my Neptune tell me many many times i deployed high or it registered no freefall time... It will still have recorded the freeefall speeds in the 4 capture zones it displays. Also if you down load to Parqlog and look at the graph you can get a good Freefall time as the opening will generally be a noticeable bump in the graph..

Scott
"He who Hesitates Shall Inherit the Earth!"

I've had the good luck with my AltiTrack set to SLO mode, but it's still susceptible to being fooled.

>>> Same here, but it usually works OK. I'm heavier than Lurch tho.

At least once it hasn't recorded anything on a jump.

It does record, you can download the data and figure out what happened, pretty much.
But what do I know?

I've had the good luck with my AltiTrack set to SLO mode, but it's still susceptible to being fooled.

>>> Same here, but it usually works OK. I'm heavier than Lurch tho.

At least once it hasn't recorded anything on a jump.

It does record, you can download the data and figure out what happened, pretty much.

Stalled out the Protrack (well, being that they still don't go past 119seconds, they are useless for logging:(), stalled out the Neptune2, and the AltiTrack. Using Ghost2 and X-bird....
downloading data/video seems to be the only solution so far ...

Stalled out the Protrack (well, being that they still don't go past 119seconds, they are useless for logging:(), stalled out the Neptune2, and the AltiTrack. Using Ghost2 and X-bird....
downloading data/video seems to be the only solution so far ...

On the protrack, the altitude given at 119 seconds is where you are at that time. So rough calculation to arrive at a +- approx. freefall time is possible.
Regarding 'stalling out' of logging deviced. In most cases thats caused by changes in fallrate that are too sudden. Ive logged speeds as low at 16mph on a protrack, and also on my altitrack, rarely have 'stall-outs' in data. Even on flares going from 200 mph down to 8mph on some of the bigger suits.

Slow speeds are not what makes ANY logging device register an opening. Its the changes in fallrate. Being smooth in your flying is all there is to it.

And should it still crap out on you, just downloading the data, and altering the opening point, isnt any problem either as long as the device also logs the canopy ride.
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Not quite, Matt. Mike actually uses a combination of devices... number of cameras, and how long it took for his tongue to dry out. I still have him on tape in what has got to be the longest camera-geek on record. 37 seconds after exit, he was still geeking my camera. Most people's tongues dry out in about 5. I don't know how he does it. He's just got Jedi Ninja camerageek skills.
:P
-B

Live and learn... or die, and teach by example.

Not really on topic, but did L&B update Protrack software or something so it can measure times more than 119secs??
Tnx :)

Not really on topic either but is the Neptune still the hot tip as a general audible for WS?

From what I've read in other threads the Neptune is the only one that measures longer than 119, just wondering if I've missed anything.

I set my pro track to slo, but even then its always over 119 seconds, which seems to be the max on a pro track. I use my video camera, to get accurate timing. Maybe one day ill get a GPS...

Edit to add: My Viso is usually not far off. (i also set it to slo)
Some dream of flying, i live the dream...