DSE

Phoenix-Fly Coach Course

Happy to see that at the PFC (and Sfly) courses at least are strict about the 100 minimum jump rule, and dont let non-relevant experience in other sports or diciplines downgrade the standard everyone should be striving for in instruction.

As for the S-Fly course, they ask for a minimum of 500 jumps with 100 wingsuit jumps, at least 15 ws jumps within the past 2 month before the camp, video helmet and a FFP coach rating preferred.

It's a 3/4 day camp with approx 15 to 20 jumps with real ws students where each futur instructor is rated both on ground coaching and flight coaching.
Instructor students are followed in flight by examinators and debriefed on video after having themselves debriefed the beginner ws student.

The Instructor course is held in Gap once or twice a year with a team of 3 S-Fly examinators.

S-fly delivers two instructor ratings; level I and level II.
Level I allows you to ground coach a student using an access wingsuit model, Level II allows you to follow a student in flight.:)
I have seen people failing level II [:/] never brought back a proper video to debrief the student...

http://www.flyyourbody.com/en/wingsuit-technic/training-camps.html

http://www.s-flycommunity.com/2010/09/wingsuit-skill-camp-in-gap-tallard.html
Patrick de Guillebon

Anyone that has a teaching certificate, is current as a teacher, and can pass the course the way the content is required to be taught without actually taking the course gets an automatic pass on the ground stuff.

Clarification question: does one need to have a teaching certificate to use the "challenge" option? I could imagine that there exist people who have decent pedagogical skills other than state certified teachers...

As I sit here thinking about it, I'm not sure that it's such a good idea to waive the Coach requirement, because skydiving instruction is different than many other types of instruction.

For example, I teach a couple of law school classes. I have to talk about areas where different bodies of law (e.g., patents and contracts) intersect. It's complicated, nuanced stuff, but I think my students get it by the end.

However, I wouldn't feel as comfortable suddenly being put in the role of, for example, Driving Instructor. Driving is a Hell of a lot easier than patent law (at least I think it is), but the skills that I use to teach abstract concepts (like patents) are a lot different than the skills that are needed to safely drive a car. One is abstract, the other is kinaesthetic - the brightest student in one setting might not be the best learner in another setting.

Now, having said that, if someone were an aviation flight instructor, taught a Skip Barber-style racing school class, or taught any number of other things that involve bodily responding to a higher stress situation, I could easily see giving him a pass on that requirement. But if someone shows up with a Kindergarten teaching certificate, I don't necessarily know that he's really mastered the same skills.

[Insert joke about skydivers are kindergartners here.]

Just a thought. Per usual, I have no real dog in this hunt.
Skwrl Productions - Wingsuit Photography

Northeast Bird School - Chief Logistics Guy and Video Dork

I was merely trying to mollify John and hopefully keep his consistent rants against the coach program out of the wingsuit forum.
The USPA Coach rating already has a challenge-course option. AFAIK, it always has. I had a student attempt to pass the USPA Coach course with me last June, she's a teacher with 3K jumps. She was unsatisfactory on the ground and in the air both.
By not attending the class, she did not possess the information she needed in order to understand the precepts that drive the program.
I also took my AFFI course with somene who challenged the course, and the I/E told them they'd probably better either challenge the course later or spend more time in the pre-course classes.
And now we're smack-dab into the discussion I'd hoped to avoid.
I truly doubt anyone with or without a teaching certificate could pass the USPA or PF Coach programs without participating in the courses.
But of course, they're welcome to try if sparing one day of their lives is that important.

There has always been a logbook endorsement.

Just in the UK, or in the US as well?

What if as an American I went to the UK? Would I have to show some proof....

how does it work?

_justin

Hopefully someone from the BPA might answer this one. I can tell you if you came to the states with an endorsement from someone in the BPA's instructional progam, most DZ's in the US would accept it, but the US requirements for flying a wingsuit are different. I don't know if the BPA would accept a US endorsement from someone not meeting the BPA requirements?

Either way...there has always been a PFI, BMI, or PFC endorsement.

Back to OP, the Coach Course went well today, jumps tomorrow. The Brits that are here had a couple guys wanting to hang out and learn more about the PF method; they were quite interested in the kinesthetic and isometrics.

As the MINUMUM requirement for wingsuiting in the UK was/is 500 jumps, I always make sure that students who do meet the US requirements get a very-thorough sign-off from me stating exactly what they have accomplished, where it was done, and all of my contact info. I have never had any former UK student (or from any other such country) call back and report that they were forbidden from jumping in their country. It probably helps that I know most of the CCI's in the UK.

Chuck

Just had some Belgians mention heading to France as they seem to think 150 jumps is enough...and teach the ones we tell to jump more..
Regardless, the Belgian federation dictates 200 jumps. Shame some instructors are letting students duck the minimum rules. For students from 'your own country' its one thing. But the already low 200 limit isnt that hard to obey....
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Either way...there has always been a PFI, BMI, or PFC endorsement.

Really? I am a self-taught guy so I had no idea. Plus my only log is my N3 now-a-days...

I haven't had anyone ever ask me for a logbook endorsement. Is it common to ask at most DZ's? Or does it depend on the person showing up with a wingsuit?

The few DZ's I have traveled to in the last few years haven't asked, including a Boogie.

_justin

Really? I am a self-taught guy so I had no idea. Plus my only log is my N3 now-a-days...

I haven't had anyone ever ask me for a logbook endorsement. Is it common to ask at most DZ's?

Having taught a great many FFC courses in the old days, a good percentage of them being visitors from the UK, Scandinavia, Europe and Africa and not hearing a single complaint when they returned home, they Key was video.

Video proof that the student performed everything expected during a quality first flight. In the early days not every wingsuit instructor flew video some even refused. Just like having video proof of your AFF jumps.

Qualified candidates:
~100 wingsuit skydives
~USPA Coach rating
~Logbook
~Three possible jumps to receive two Satisfactory Scores.

The criteria for the jumps is found in the score sheet, attached to this post.

Not stirring the pot ( this timeB|) so not trying to get anybody bowed up just a couple questions in regards to the new PFC. Actually asking on behalf of other very experienced wingsuiters earnestly interested in taking it.

1 Time frame: Why does it take two days, What could possibly take two days to teach in regards to WS coaching?

2 The previous vanquished PF ratings cost $200 + some time invested and they are now worthless: What is the motivation to invest the time and money into the current PFC rating when all of those who crafted it are also petitioning the governing bodies to adapt a WSI rating at that level effectively making the current PFC rating worthless once more?

Not stirring the pot ( this timeCool)

Seeing as its the Nth time you express zero interest, yet seem to be the person screaming loudest on the subject (yet dead-silent when it comes to commenting on a fatality that happens on the watch of an 'instructor' with his own made up rating/system.)

1 Time frame: Why does it take two days, What could possibly take two days to teach in regards to WS coaching?

Class sessions (learning to do the actual briefing), repeating and showing those a lot of times. And than also actual examination jumps.

2 The previous vanquished PF ratings cost $200 + some time invested and they are now worthless:

No..far from that. Its amazing how much stuff you manage to get wrong in one line. But seeing as neither applies to you, not worth the time to explain either. People who need to know, know. And all seem pretty happy about it.

What is the motivation to invest the time and money into the current PFC rating when all of those who crafted it are also petitioning the governing bodies to adapt a WSI rating at that level effectively making the current PFC rating worthless once more?

Because there are a lot spineless people who scream very loud when people work on safety, yet completely shut up and look away when bad shit happens. Its only about advocating that a coach can actualy brief and guide someone through a first flight. And not forget half the info, due to him/her having his own style briefing of which he or she thinks its 'okay'.

When at Zhills..talk to Bram from Skydiveratings about his FFC and jump after that. Got put into the biggest suit on the market, went into a high speed spin, and finaly saved his ass 'inventing' an emergency procedure (deploying) due to nothing else working.
And emergency procedure of someone (who had knowledge and training on what he or she should have been briefing) should have told him in the first place.
Piss-poor coaching/instruction. Regardless of the tag you put on it.
Accidents are happening. And a lot (A LOT!) of shit happens that people dont speak up about.

And its about time that stuff isnt allowed to happen anymore.
You only bitch about the things you see happening on the sunny side of town. Look into the dark alleys for a change...you'd understand the reasoning a lot more..
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

[edited to remove Glenn's quote]

Not gonna rise to your (again) bait, Glenn, except to say I'll bet $150.00 you cannot pass the PFC course with your current knowledge and/or flying skills.
The days of the Wingsuit Instructor #1"deploy this way and we're on a 10 minute call, suit up" school of wingsuiting doesn't fly, at least not at the DZ's I teach at. Enough people have died due to the "I do OK" method of teaching.

I don't know what to say.

Those were two questions I asked almost verbatem as they were posed to me by someone honestly serious about taking the PF coach course. Nothing about me, I'm simply the messenger of the questions. I don't have an interest in this or any prior rating but the person asking was under the impression the old PF rating did cost a few hundred. I could not verify this as, like I said, never had an interest in aquiring any WS ratings personally.

We could consider the first question answered but the second question got personal and I hoped to stay removed. The person has a concern this new revised PFC rating will be obsolete when / if the USPA adopts a WSI rating. With good reason, currently this person is sanctioned by their S&TA to perform First flight instruction.

I have no desire to " challenge the course" or we would have talked already. My post was not bait of any kind but a post for a lurker, honest.

I know you guys mean well. I also know you've personaly dealt with mayhem up close and I see there is a lot of general hatred to certain instructors and your critics ( like myself). There is a lot of blaming and pointing.

This question is not for my lurker friend it is 100% me. Are you ready/ prepared to be on the receiving end of a lot of hate and blame if ,god forbid, some new flyer is ever hurt under your care on the level you are dishing out right now. No need to answer just a thought.

the person asking was under the impression the old PF rating did cost a few hundred. I could not verify this

But you then stated it as fact anyway. I think you may have a hard time convincing anyone that you're shocked (shocked!) to be thought of as anything less than a perfect neutral:P
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

I'll never pretend to be neutral in this matter. I'll never pretend to not be a pot stirrer or part time troll. But not this time I even said don't get bent.

Chuck Blues original course was $300, That I remember. Baxter I heard was charging $200. Monkey was the last PFI I personally new recall getting a rating, don't remember from whom, but I believe he did pay some amount of cash.

Its clear to me I'm the wrong vessel for the question.

Its clear to me I'm the wrong vessel for the question.

Its even more clear 'some people' would rather look away, and not ask the much more important questions on the same subject. Questionss related to more serious matters in terms of urgency and concequences (past and future).
Shame this subject is always only critisized and discussed under a fake viel of safety and interest, with seemingly no actual intentions to discuss the real matters at hand..

This question is not for my lurker friend it is 100% me. Are you ready/ prepared to be on the receiving end of a lot of hate and blame if ,god forbid, some new flyer is ever hurt under your care on the level you are dishing out right now.

Though not aimed at me, Ill reply anyways with the same question back at you. Being a firm advocate of the same 'I dont need no standardized program/training/proof of dicactic skill ot teach someone' and than having a new flyer get hurt due to incomplete actions on your behalf....Will you acknowlegde what happened and learn. Or will you laugh and continue as is...leaving other people to deal with your mess...

Good to see you discuss the matter at hand. Be it aiming it at the wrong person out of fear of 'getting personal'. I guess DSE is not a person..?
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

I'm going to type this slow so it is easy to understand.

Two questions, asked by me for a very experienced WS friend who is too busy to post not in anyway questions I will ever have trust this if nothing else. Either of you two could have provided a professional answer, admittedly not that I deserve one but I did have a disclaimer not stirring and not post for myself. Which apparently wasn't taken as face value.

The third question, Mine, isn't directed strictly at Douglas.... its for all of the very vocal haters food for thought. And hypothetically I'm posing it as not a botched or incomplete instruction that turns into a mess. You did your best but something happened.
I never did a half assed course and if I retire now I will have 100% sucess ratio.