gabemcg

Tony Suit or Phoenix Fly?

I have under 10 WS jumps on Tony Intro and T-Bird suits and was thinking about purchasing an R-Bird. I have not flown a Phoenix Fly suit.

I am tall and very light weight, and have been told that at a lower wing loading, the Phoenix Fly suit would would better for me.

Comparing the two, the Tony suits seem to have higher quality zippers, and I like the leg zip extenders amongst other small details.

Opinions?

Both companies produce a good suit. They fly differently though. I suggest you try before you buy. Nothing worse than buyers remorse after you jump a buddies suit and wish you bought the other brand. After trying both, you will know which suit you prefer.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

Both companies produce a good suit. They fly differently though. I suggest you try before you buy. Nothing worse than buyers remorse after you jump a buddies suit and wish you bought the other brand. After trying both, you will know which suit you prefer.

+1

you told me to just buy the phantom 2!!!! =D
IHYD

Regardless of brand, make sure you choose a wingsuit that fits your wingloading.
And demo different suits and models. Everyone thinks the suit they are flying is the best choice, as otherwise they wouldnt have bought that one. So be your own judge.

Try and demo different products, and using them in the actual function (solo, flocking, aerobatics) you intent to use it for, to get a good and clear comparison.
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

I have under 10 WS jumps on Tony Intro and T-Bird suits and was thinking about purchasing an R-Bird. I have not flown a Phoenix Fly suit.

I am tall and very light weight, and have been told that at a lower wing loading, the Phoenix Fly suit would would better for me.

Comparing the two, the Tony suits seem to have higher quality zippers, and I like the leg zip extenders amongst other small details.

Opinions?

Exactly what Monkey (& a few others) said above. You never know how it's going to fly until you put it on and fly it.

Had I not gone to Flock & Dock & demoed the heck out of various suits, I would have wound up with a T-Bird. I got there and found that the Phantom2 just felt better to me.

On the flipside, a friend of mine had only flown Phoenix Fly suits, and after flying an R-Bird he sold his P2 on the spot.

Point is, each suit has its own flying style...and there are different tools for different purposes. What's 'best' for one person is not best for another person of the same body type. There is no 'best', except for what works for you. So get out and demo some other suits, if you can. You'll be glad you did.

(And happy flying.) :)
Signatures are the new black.

Gabe, after Chicks Rock, I'll have a P2 for you to try, I think.
I do have both brands if you wanted to try em' both side by side.
You'd have to come north for that, however... (if you want to come after CR, that's fine...I'm wintering in Elsinore)
Based on the body type you've indicated you have, I suspect you'll really like the acrobatic and speed qualities of the P2, but you do NEED TO FLY multiple suits so you know what you like, IMO.

Well, It look like I disagred with most of people, the one saying "try it and see"
Except if you can make 30 or 40 jump with it.
Why?
Because each wing suit is diferent, I agreed with that, but because of that, before to make an opinion of one -You must learn to use it! And it maybee very diferent than your previous one.
And this may take 30 or 40 jumps.
Then you can have an opinion.

It takes 30 to 40 jumps to fully utilize the potential of a suit.
But one or two jumps can already give you a pretty clear view on which suit flies better for your build/weight, and usually also shows you quite well what the suit is capable off. Even though you may miss the finer controlls and expert performance levels at that point.

I know Ive seen people strugle with one suit for 10 jumps, than try another, and instantly have a 'click' with that suit, as it just fit their lighter frame better.

There is a difference between getting a feel of a suit (how it flies, how its made, how you use it etc) and dialing in the performance to expert levels....that takes longer...
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Just an inexperienced thought, as I recently went through the T-Bird or R-Bird process after only getting into WS recently (20+ WS jumps (Most T-Bird & R-Bird)... if you can, test jump the R-Bird before buying one... I felt that I would progress more efficiently with the T-Bird than the R-Bird.... I found there to be enough difference in these two suits, that I would not have maximised my progression flying the R-Bird. I bought a T-Bird after flying both...

Just a thought is all....

I'd like to add my newbie two bits about wingsuit loading.

When you demo a certain wingsuit you also need to take into account how it fits you...

I did my FFC on a Phantom2 that was a bit tight on me, then switched to another Phantom2 at around 4 jumps that was a bit too big for me.

Well they flew VERY differently, flet like flying a totally different suit.

Hope it helps :D

"Common sense is not so common" - Voltaire
Dudeist Skydiver #9