OG-Tahiti

FlySight GPS

Hi all!

I ear the glide tone from my FS only under canopy and not during the WS jump (the volume is set at the top).
Could you help me?

The glide is set at 2 and downloading data from FS I usually fly beetween 1,8 and 2,2.

Blue Skyes
Mario

I had difficulty hearing the flysight when the speaker was in my audible pocket (even in a full face helmet). I took it out of the pocket, moved it to where I could feel it pressing against my ear and it works fine.
I'm now using it with an open face helmet and I can still hear it ok.
Jump more, post less.

Can you attach the config file from your flysight?

Here for you and...thanks!

; GPS settings

Model: 6 ; Dynamic model
; 0 = Portable
; 2 = Stationary
; 3 = Pedestrian
; 4 = Automotive
; 5 = Sea
; 6 = Airborne with < 1 G acceleration
; 7 = Airborne with < 2 G acceleration
; 8 = Airborne with < 4 G acceleration
Rate: 200 ; Measurement rate (ms)

; Tone settings

Mode: 2 ; Measurement mode
; 0 = Horizontal speed
; 1 = Vertical speed
; 2 = Glide ratio
; 3 = Inverse glide ratio
; 4 = Total speed
Max: 200 ; Maximum value
; cm/s in Mode 0 and 1
; ratio * 100 in Mode 2 and 3
Threshold: 1000 ; Threshold for tone (mode 2 and 3)
; cm/s vertical in Mode 2
; cm/s horizontal in Mode 3
Volume: 8 ; 0 (min) to 8 (max)

; Log settings

Speed_Acc: 150 ; Speed accuracy threshold (cm/s)

Any news on the FlySight Mount and when it will be available?

I've got a batch of 4 models being machined right now. These should be complete this week. The four models include one for flat surfaces and three for different curved surfaces, based on measurements I got from individuals and manufacturers. Hopefully these will fit a variety of helmets, and for those who can't find a model that fits, we'll start building a list of requests for the next production run.

For testing, I've been using a piece of double-sided Velcro to hold the FlySight in. This works fine as long as the Velcro is in good condition, but I'm working to have a batch of straps with low profile camming buckles manufactured, which should make the mount more secure. The straps should be ready in about two weeks, if all goes well. For anyone who buys a mount before the straps come in, I'll just send the strap separately when it becomes available.

The mounts will ship with 3M VHB tape in place, but they also have two counter-sunk holes machined to accept #6 flat-head machine screws.

The mounts will be sold on the website, and hopefully through dealers as well (though the fact that there are many different models makes them a bit tricky to stock). I'll let you know when they're up.

I've attached a draft version of the mount template, as well as a couple of photos showing how the template is used. Basically, you will need to print and cut out the template, then check how well the "feet" on each side match your helmet's curvature. You'll want to take measurements horizontally and vertically in the area you want to mount the FlySight. Ideally, the feet should sit flat against the helmet, but you can get away with a size that touches on the outside, with less than 1 mm gap on the inside of the foot.

For the first production run, I've ordered "90/90", "141/110", "141/200", and "flat/flat" models.

Michael

Edit: It looks like you may have to download the PDF in order to view it. Clicking on the PDF directly doesn't seem to work.

Thought whilst I had the camera out taking photos of my new suit I'd get some of the flysight / bungee mounting on my camera box.

Just drilled two holes in the back of the box, bungees through and looped an old zip tie through to hold them in place.

I tried it on the side of the box and it took a lot longer for the flysight to pick up the GPS signal.
Jump more, post less.

From my very limited knowledge I think that it's best to point these type of GPS devices directly at the sky, so back of helmet would be the ideal position for belly flying.

The log file records the number of Satellite fixes and the accuracy. So you should be able to see how it's performing in the position you are using, and compare to other positions.

i fix my flysight on the left side of my svx, on the flat area. Is it good or i must fix it on the back of the helmet?

Luke is right. Ideally, the FlySight should be fixed on the back of the helmet so it has a clear view of the sky. With the unit mounted on the side of the helmet, signals coming from one half of the sky will be muted, which may reduce the accuracy of the position and speed measurements.

In practice, oddly, it doesn't seem to make too much difference. I've made a few jumps with the FlySight tucked into a pocket, for logging purposes only, and the data seems to be fine.

If you want to be sure, as Luke says, you could make a jump with the FlySight mounted on the side of your helmet, and then look at the log file. With good visibility, the "numSV" column usually sits in the high single digits (8 or 9 satellites used to compute your position/speed), and the speed accuracy usually sits around 0.2 to 0.5 m/s. If you're seeing fewer satellites than this, or if your accuracy is much worse, it could indicate that the FlySight's position is not ideal.

Michael

Did this support kind of quickly. It is certainly not as snag proof as I would like but I believe it is not that bad.

Apart from it being all metal which creates a nice shield around the GPS antenna... Aluminum was probably not the best material for this. I would expect the GPS to give rather poor results, or no results at all anymore.

It looks nice though.

Thanks, I haven't used it yet so can't really tell the results. If it really blocks the signal I will try to make one from fiberglass or a thin plastic sheet.
Engineering Law #5: The most vital dimension on any plan drawing stands the most chance of being omitted

Thanks, I haven't used it yet so can't really tell the results. If it really blocks the signal I will try to make one from fiberglass or a thin plastic sheet.

Plastic/fiberglass are likely in order. I'll be very interested to hear if the FlySight can get a lock with a metal enclosure, though.

Michael

Whats the timetable on selling the flysight with a mount included? Im about to place an order with paragear for some stuff and wondered if it was worth ordering one now or if the mount would come out pretty soon.

Unfortunately, production issues have been holding things up a bit. I'm hoping to have the mounts ready to ship in the next two weeks, but there are a few things (like the looming Canada Post strike) which could delay that a bit further.

I think it could be a while before the big dealers start carrying mounts, since there are a few sizes to stock. I'd recommend ordering the FlySight from Para-Gear right away, and then you could order the mount directly when it becomes available.

Michael

Do you think it would be simple enough for you to add a feature that will beep once or twice when you power it on, at the volume used in the config.txt?

I've noticed mine gives a single beep when it gets a GPS lock so I used that to test out the volume.
Jump more, post less.

Do you think it would be simple enough for you to add a feature that will beep once or twice when you power it on, at the volume used in the config.txt?

I've noticed mine gives a single beep when it gets a GPS lock so I used that to test out the volume.

Ah thanks. I will have it on my head instead of my chest strap next time. :) I just listened when I flipped the switch.
Nothing in life is to be feared. It is only to be understood.

I'm thinking of adding a "demo" mode to the config.txt file, which would run through the range of tones (some pitches are louder than others). For now, though, I also use MrCat's method.

Michael

My flysight is on the way! I'm a bit behind the times!
I was looking at the possibility of mounting mine in the back of my tonfly cx box. It has what appears to be a perfect amount of space for the FS that is intended for a larger battery which i don't use. The box is carbon fibre. Drilling and cutting is not a bother.
Do you think i will need to cut a square opening at the back of the box for decent GPS reception? Is carbon fibre that bad for blocking gps signals?
If this doesn't suit i think im gonna go with Jarno's idea and, in true skydiving tradition, knock something up on the old sewing machine.

I put mine in pedestrian/horizontal at 250 cm/s and walked/jogged around the yard to check volume after changing my setup recently. Worked great. Volume at 7 (may need to go to 8) for my new $3 Radio Shack speaker. Demo mode would be nice though.
Sometimes you eat the bear..............