OG-Tahiti

FlySight GPS

Finally got to use the flysight today. Used the armband method. Was sweet.
Only problem is i can't get the flysight viewer to import the .csv file.
All the files and data are there and are readable by online gps plotters but i keep getting the following error message;

"could not load file or assembly 'System.Core, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified."

Any help would be much appreciated.
Cheers

ok, so i figured it out. I'm running windows xp. i had microsoft .net framework 2.0 installed and it seems like flysight viewer requires .net 3.5 or higher.
All works fine now.
Vista and 7 have 3.5 or higher already installed i think but this might help anyone else encountering the same message on xp.

If you consider loosing the GPS fix as a safetyproblem during wingsuiting, please explain why it is a problem?

The conversation was about using the FlySight as a primary altimeter for breakoff/pull etc.

that would be a very bad idea in my opinion.

The altitude measured in the FlySight is relative to sealevel, and does not have a 'database' of groundlevel altitudes, so while you could potentially add 'ditter' functionality, you would always have to manually set the 'ground level' altitude in the config file, or require the user to turn on the device on the ground and don't turn it off until after the jump.

I'd love to have a pressure sensor in the FlySight, and in addition make it more like a Protrack with GPS functionality. I seriously hope that the "FlySight 2" has a simple display, a pressure sensor, and uses less battery power so I can just turn it on in the morning put in helmet and forget about it, like I do with the protrack. And overall just offers more then just simple "tracking" information.

FlySight is awesome, but I think we shouldn't try to use it for more then was intended, unless we make serious modifications/additions to the hardware.

ok, so i figured it out. I'm running windows xp. i had microsoft .net framework 2.0 installed and it seems like flysight viewer requires .net 3.5 or higher.
All works fine now.
Vista and 7 have 3.5 or higher already installed i think but this might help anyone else encountering the same message on xp.

I'm glad you got that figured out, and I'm sorry for not responding... for those that have issues with the windows viewer, feel free to email me at "[email protected]"

Michael, Do you have an update on the mounts and availability?

Thought I'd update everyone on the aluminum mounts.

I've got a bunch of camming buckles made, which will hold the FlySight in place wonderfully. Unfortunately, machining is taking a lot longer than expected. The first batch of aluminum mounts should be available in the first week of July.

To those who have been waiting--thanks for your patience!

Michael

I do. Thanks for reminding me!

The first batch of mounts are in, with the flat, 90-90, 141-110 and 141-200 models available. These are machined to accept #6 screws, but also come with VHB tape for mounting. I've got short straps fitted with a camming buckle which secure the FlySight beautifully and allow you to remove it very quickly. I'll post a couple of photos of the completed mount tomorrow morning.

I've been trying to find time to update the website, but that doesn't seem like it will happen right away. For pricing information, please PM me here, or shoot me an email (michael at flysight dot ca).

Thanks!

Michael

As promised, here are a couple of photos of the completed mount.

Michael

Yeah, well, I used industrial strength Velcro with a cable tie for security. Get to try it tomorrow.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

How and where do you attach it to? How big is the unit? Earphone of some sort? I just started wing suiting and would like to start strong!

Ideally, the FlySight should be mounted so that its top surface points toward the sky. For wingsuiters, the back of the helmet is common.

There are a few mounting methods. FlySight ships without a mount, but a machined aluminum mount is available:

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=4155977#4155977

There are many homebrew mounting options available, as well. In the past, I have simply use gaffer's tape to tape the FlySight to the back of my helmet. Others have posted their mounting solutions in this thread.

The FlySight is about 2" x 2" x 0.5", and weighs less than 50 g. A few people have commented that it is a lot smaller/lighter than they had expected.

Earphones are required. FlySight won't work with a "mono" plug, but works fine with the kind of earphones most people have lying around. Just put one earphone in your ear, and tuck the other one away in your helmet. Alternatively, some people have used motorcycle helmet speakers similar to these:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/3-5mm-Motorbike-Helmet-Speakers-MP3-Motorcycle-Bike-/150653724660

Someone even had good results just placing a regular pair of earbuds in the audible altimeter pocket.

Hope this helps!

How and where do you attach it to? How big is the unit? Earphone of some sort? I just started wing suiting and would like to start strong!

Ideally, the FlySight should be mounted so that its top surface points toward the sky. For wingsuiters, the back of the helmet is common.

There are a few mounting methods. FlySight ships without a mount, but a machined aluminum mount is available:

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=4155977#4155977

There are many homebrew mounting options available, as well. In the past, I have simply use gaffer's tape to tape the FlySight to the back of my helmet. Others have posted their mounting solutions in this thread.

The FlySight is about 2" x 2" x 0.5", and weighs less than 50 g. A few people have commented that it is a lot smaller/lighter than they had expected.

Earphones are required. FlySight won't work with a "mono" plug, but works fine with the kind of earphones most people have lying around. Just put one earphone in your ear, and tuck the other one away in your helmet. Alternatively, some people have used motorcycle helmet speakers similar to these:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/3-5mm-Motorbike-Helmet-Speakers-MP3-Motorcycle-Bike-/150653724660

Someone even had good results just placing a regular pair of earbuds in the audible altimeter pocket.

Hope this helps!

I took a speaker from very old Walkman headset. Works fine.

crwper, how much are those mounts?

At long last, I've got mounts up on the website.

I've replaced the old "Software" tab with an "Extras" tab. I'd like to expand this over time to include links to third party mounts, accessories, etc. If you have something you'd like to add, let me know.

Michael

Hello Michael, I have just upgraded the Flysight firmware to the Beta version. Is there a place I can find details about the new parameters? I would like to understand how to configure the Rate settings.
Also, if I increase the Lowest pitch value will it give me more precision on flysight tones? Let’s say I set the minimum to 150 (1.5:1) while keeping maximum at 300 (3:1)
Engineering Law #5: The most vital dimension on any plan drawing stands the most chance of being omitted

Hello Michael, I have just upgraded the Flysight firmware to the Beta version. Is there a place I can find details about the new parameters? I would like to understand how to configure the Rate settings.
Also, if I increase the Lowest pitch value will it give me more precision on flysight tones? Let’s say I set the minimum to 150 (1.5:1) while keeping maximum at 300 (3:1)

You've got the right idea with the "Min" value. The full range of tones--220 Hz to 1760 Hz--is spread between "Min" and "Max". If you know you won't be flying at less than 1.5:1, you could increase the tone resolution by bumping "Min" up to 150. For any glide ratio lower than 1.5:1, FlySight will just output the lowest possible tone (similar to what it does when "Max" is exceeded).

I've been meaning to get the rate settings up on the wiki. In the meantime, there are a couple of explanations here, which should get you started:

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=4166816#4166816
http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=4166830#4166830

If you have any questions, please let me know--it'll help me figure out what might need additional clarification in the wiki article.

Michael

The beta sounds interesting :)

I'd love to hear your impressions. I will definitely be adding the "Min" setting to the production firmware, but I am always a bit unsure if the rate settings are useful enough to justify the added complexity in the config file.

Michael

I'd love to hear your impressions. I will definitely be adding the "Min" setting to the production firmware, but I am always a bit unsure if the rate settings are useful enough to justify the added complexity in the config file.

One new line shouldn't cause problems for any user (that can already work with said file). If list of parameters gets too big just split it in two sections, one basic and one advanced (I'm assuming here that FlySight reads cofig file line-by-line, ignores commented lines and assigns values according to parameter's name, not line number).
I understand the need for conformity. Without a concise set of rules to follow we would probably all have to resort to common sense. -David Thorne

Hi All--

We've had a couple of reports recently of the USB connector coming loose on FlySights. Basically, the connector can't take much torque. With a cable plugged in, a relatively small pull sideways can separate the connector from the printed circuit board. Unfortunately, this sort of thing can't be repaired, so it's important to fix it before it happens.

I've done a bit of testing, and found that a small amount of Krazy Glue under the connector makes it much stronger. In fact, after gluing the connector, a sideways pull broke the cable before the connector came loose.

The following document describes the repair procedure in detail.

http://flysight.ca/SB1.pdf

If you have any questions, please let me know. The repair is pretty straightforward, but if you'd prefer it be done here, I can do that.

Thanks for your help!

Michael

Hi All--

We've had a couple of reports recently of the USB connector coming loose on FlySights. Basically, the connector can't take much torque. With a cable plugged in, a relatively small pull sideways can separate the connector from the printed circuit board. Unfortunately, this sort of thing can't be repaired, so it's important to fix it before it happens.

I've done a bit of testing, and found that a small amount of Krazy Glue under the connector makes it much stronger. In fact, after gluing the connector, a sideways pull broke the cable before the connector came loose.

The following document describes the repair procedure in detail.

http://flysight.ca/SB1.pdf

If you have any questions, please let me know. The repair is pretty straightforward, but if you'd prefer it be done here, I can do that.

Thanks for your help!

Michael

Thanks for the tip - mine is a bit wobbly but hadn't come off.

I've had a play with the beta, using tone for horizontal speed and rate for vertical speed.

Fast low beep = :(
Slow high beep =:)
Still need to tweak the values but it provided useful feedback. Takes a little concentration at first but you get accustomed to it quite quickly.

Keep it up Michael - when you going to launch a HUD? B|

BASEstore.it

Keep it up Michael - when you going to launch a HUD? B|

During development, I played with a 4-digit LED display with numbers about 1 cm high, Without additional optics, it could be placed in front of the eye and read quite easily in freefall. What I found was that reading/understanding the numbers in freefall took a shocking amount of mental effort. This is something we mostly don't notice on the ground, but when you're flying, stopping to read four numbers takes you completely out of the jump. I found the whole thing very disorienting.

Another possibility is something like a colour bar graph. The issue there, though, is that only the middle five degrees or so of our visual field responds strongly to colour. In order to read the display, you would have to look at it, which means you aren't looking at something else (e.g., the ground). The nice thing about sound is that it works in parallel with other activities.

There is one other possibility, though it's a bit limited in the information it can display. The edge of the visual field is fairly good at picking out motion, or changes in brightness. It might be useful, for example, to put an LED in the corner of your vision, and use it to indicate some "alarm" condition.

Michael