OG-Tahiti

FlySight GPS

Can post here anybody "improved" results after using of FlySight GPS?
(at no-wind conditions)?

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=3994455#3994455

Both jumps were logged/recorded on the flysight - on jump 219 I couldn't hear the beeps due to the speaker placement so I was flying without it.

Jumps on jumplog
Jump 219 - http://jgalbraith.jumplog.net/index.php?jump219.php
Jump 221 - http://jgalbraith.jumplog.net/index.php?jump221.php

Jump 219 without the flysight
Max glide rate 1.75
Average fall rate 71 mph

Jump 221 with the flysight
Max glide rate 2.5
Average fall rate 57 mph
Jump more, post less.

Cool mounts ... all I used was two pieces of 3M VHB tape. I'll have to saw it off with dental floss.

If you are coming to FnD and want to buy one from Tony (US$250) you should send him a note to make sure he has enough in stock. I don't know how many he normally keeps.

I'd like to see which (if any) helmet speakers are loud enough to hear them in flight.

The Chinese motorcycle helmet speakers arrived. I haven't had a chance to test them in freefall, but on the bench they seem like they would be loud enough.

For $4 shipped, you get about what you'd expect. In the detail photo, you can see that the connection between the wires and the speaker has no strain relief. On a closed-ear helmet, I'm not sure this is an issue, but it could be.

The speaker itself is just under 3 cm in diameter. However, a couple of mounting issues occur to me... First, there are two speakers, so you'd either need to tuck one away, or make some modifications of your own. Second, you can see there's a big volume adjuster on the cable, which could be a bit awkward.

As far as modification goes, it looks like the wires themselves are enameled. It's been my experience that these are a bit tricky to work with, so I wouldn't recommend it as your first soldering project.

Overall, given the price, if you're a bit of a tinkerer I'd say it's worth a go. I'd be interested to hear if the helmet speakers used by others require any less modification, if they're sturdier, etc.

Michael

I actually had another pocket on there for a day, which was slightly bigger (a small zipper pouch for an mp3 player, even had a small transparent window) but replaced it when I 'found' this in my gearbag today.
Its a small square carry bag for earplugs (brand is Alpine). It really fits snug around the unit. There is a hole inside (I made) that feeds the cable for the earplug into my helmet.

Update:
I got the aerplugs quite cheap a fear ago at a motorcycle store (for skydiving). They are called Alpine Moto Safe.
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

please dont take too long..... we are all still using the duck tape method... id pay 40 for a mount today!

I just received the mount prototype, and I'm pretty stoked about it. I've couldn't wait to share a few photos--I hope that's alright.

I thought I'd get the prototype made out of aluminum instead of plastic, since materials are a small part of production costs on this one. The results are, I think, stunning.

The top of the mount is basically a shallow dish machined precisely to the shape of the FlySight's base. The bottom of the mount has been machined to fit the curvature of an "average" helmet. To give you an idea, it's a little more curved than the GoPro mount, which I've noticed tends to be a bit flat for the back of most helmets.

The mount is secured to the helmet with 3M VHB tape, which forms a secure enough connection that I had to pry it off with a large screwdriver. A piece of double-sided Velcro passes freely under the mount, so it can be removed if the FlySight isn't in place--leaving only a minimal platform stuck to the helmet.

The big thing I wanted to test with this prototype is how securely the Velcro holds the FlySight. Even though the strap doesn't look very tight, it's very difficult to get the FlySight to move at all within the mount. It's possible to slide it out the side, but you have to brace against the mount and push very hard with your thumbs..

The other upside of this design is essentially zero line snag potential. I suppose you could get a line under the mount if you displaced some of the VHB tape, but, again, you'd really have to work at it.

I'm going to do a little more testing with the mount myself, and then I'm hoping to do a production run early in April. Any feedback would be appreciated!

Michael

please dont take too long..... we are all still using the duck tape method... id pay 40 for a mount today!

I just received the mount prototype, and I'm pretty stoked about it. I've couldn't wait to share a few photos--I hope that's alright.

I thought I'd get the prototype made out of aluminum instead of plastic, since materials are a small part of production costs on this one. The results are, I think, stunning.

The top of the mount is basically a shallow dish machined precisely to the shape of the FlySight's base. The bottom of the mount has been machined to fit the curvature of an "average" helmet. To give you an idea, it's a little more curved than the GoPro mount, which I've noticed tends to be a bit flat for the back of most helmets.

The mount is secured to the helmet with 3M VHB tape, which forms a secure enough connection that I had to pry it off with a large screwdriver. A piece of double-sided Velcro passes freely under the mount, so it can be removed if the FlySight isn't in place--leaving only a minimal platform stuck to the helmet.

The big thing I wanted to test with this prototype is how securely the Velcro holds the FlySight. Even though the strap doesn't look very tight, it's very difficult to get the FlySight to move at all within the mount. It's possible to slide it out the side, but you have to brace against the mount and push very hard with your thumbs..

The other upside of this design is essentially zero line snag potential. I suppose you could get a line under the mount if you displaced some of the VHB tape, but, again, you'd really have to work at it.

I'm going to do a little more testing with the mount myself, and then I'm hoping to do a production run early in April. Any feedback would be appreciated!

Michael

i like the idea, just not too sure on the mounting with 3m tape. have you considered a few taper bores for some screws to mount to the helmet with? kinda like the liquid flatlock, but no top plate, just holes that will be in each corner taper bored so the screw head sits flush with where the flysight mounts to the bracket? just an idea man. looks good!
Flock University FWC / ZFlock
B.A.S.E. 1580
Aussie BASE 121

i like the idea, just not too sure on the mounting with 3m tape. have you considered a few taper bores for some screws to mount to the helmet with? kinda like the liquid flatlock, but no top plate, just holes that will be in each corner taper bored so the screw head sits flush with where the flysight mounts to the bracket? just an idea man. looks good!

An interesting suggestion. One concern comes to mind... With the Liquid Flatlock, the mounting surface is generally flat, so it's relatively easy to machine the bores. The FlySight mount, on the other hand, is intended to be mounted on a curved surface. If the bores are machined perpendicular to the top surface, then the nuts inside the helmet won't sit flush. If the bores are machined perpendicular to the bottom surface, then the taper on the top becomes quite deep, and the bores become costly to machine...

Regarding the VHB tape: Is your concern that it won't be strong enough, or that it will be too strong (i.e. it will be difficult to remove the mount if desired)?

Michael

Nice mount!

To provide an alternative to the tape, how about putting a tapped hole in each corner, say 3mm or 4mm thread so people can use a counter sunk or pan head bolt from inside the helmet? the helmet liner should be sufficient to deal with the bolt head not sitting flat.
Or just put holes either side of the velcro slot in the middle. The curve inside the helmet shouldn't cause much problem there.
If the mount is molded plastic and you don't want to tap the holes, perhaps leave nut shaped hole on the top surface.

Perhaps it would add too much to the manufacturing cost to be worth it, the few that want it are probably the type that will happily drill/tap their own mounting holes, and I guess the yanks would want an imperial thread.....

There may be people that want to mount on a flat surface, does the tape work well if the curve isn't a close match?

Regarding the VHB tape: Is your concern that it won't be strong enough, or that it will be too strong (i.e. it will be difficult to remove the mount if desired)?

Michael

I'd second the request for a screw mount. One never knows when a newbie wingsuiter might run into you at full tilt and knock off the Flysight (along with battery and lens).:P
[edited to add a smiley]

Michael, if you put just one tapered hole dead center of the mount, it would hold it on securely and the curved surfaces would keep it from rotating. The fastener would also be perpendicular to both base and helmet for good flush contact. It would go through the velcro strap, which would keep the strap secured to the base. Using a flat head screw mated into a sex bolt base would keep both fasteners low profile in the mount and inside the helmet.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

There may be people that want to mount on a flat surface, does the tape work well if the curve isn't a close match?

The prototype would work well for most helmet-sized curved surfaces, but not for a flat surface. I'm thinking of producing two styles: one for curved surfaces, and one for flat.

Michael, if you put just one tapered hole dead center of the mount, it would hold it on securely and the curved surfaces would keep it from rotating.

The only issue with this, I think, is that the center of the mount is only 1 mm thick. This keeps the mount light and low-profile, but it doesn't give much purchase for a screw. I'll have to give this a bit more thought...

VHB tape is pretty phenomenal stuff. If anything, I'm concerned that it might be too strong. To remove the mount from the helmet, I had to pry it off with a large screwdriver. By the time it let go, it made such a loud "crack" that I thought I might have broken the helmet.

:P Michael

To remove the mount from the helmet, I had to pry it off with a large screwdriver. By the time it let go, it made such a loud "crack" that I thought I might have broken the helmet

If the final mounts are plastic and only 1mm thick in the middle will applying that much force to one scrap it?

and that worn on the wrist?
I want to buy one, and I was told that I can serve, has barometric altimeter, I just want to practice distance, someone can advise me?:S

http://www.decathlon.es/gps-electronica-keymaze-quechua-500-hike-id_MAN_16538_8161772.html

Those who risk nothing, do nothing, became nothing, achieve nothing

http://www.decathlon.es/gps-electronica-keymaze-quechua-500-hike-id_MAN_16538_8161772.html

I dont really understand what you mean but there is no reason to wear the Flysight on the wrist as it does not have a display and you need long earphones cables.
No rason for that.

If you are talking about using the thing you linked to as a altimeter?
Those numbers look very smal, not saying it cant be done but it looks very impractical to have such a tiny display to tell you the altitude.
And what happens if it looses GPS-signal?
Will it show 0 or will it freeze?

I dont really understand what you mean but there is no reason to wear the Flysight on the wrist as it does not have a display and you need long earphones cables.
No rason for that.

If you are talking about using the thing you linked to as a altimeter?
Those numbers look very smal, not saying it cant be done but it looks very impractical to have such a tiny display to tell you the altitude.
And what happens if it looses GPS-signal?
Will it show 0 or will it freeze?

Hellis Ok, I better explain
I participate for the first time in a competition away, just pretend to see my records and know my progress, another thing is I to be the first time I have no idea that GPS purchase or as used by practicing this discipline
I am a skydiver, and never use the GPS with altimeter, I have an altimeter in the harness and other audible;)
I hope you understand me now:)Helli much appreciate your interest and your reply, thanks!
;)

If the final mounts are plastic and only 1mm thick in the middle will applying that much force to one scrap it?

These ones will be made from aluminum. As long as I'm having them machined, most of the cost is going to come from that procedure. So, I figured I might as well use a slightly higher-quality material so people are getting their money's worth.

Why not make the mount with a 'go pro' clip, so those stickers can be used?

I actually have a few GoPro mounting kits sitting on the shelf, because this was one of my original mounting ideas. One of the clips that comes in the mounting kit can be removed from its arm and screwed directly onto the base of the FlySight. You can then clip the FlySight into a regular GoPro mount. The problem is, it's sticks out quite a lot, and certainly presents more of a line snag hazard than the new mount.

Michael

I participate for the first time in a competition away, just pretend to see my records and know my progress, another thing is I to be the first time I have no idea that GPS purchase or as used by practicing this discipline
I am a skydiver, and never use the GPS with altimeter, I have an altimeter in the harness and other audible;)
I hope you understand me now:)Helli much appreciate your interest and your reply, thanks!
;)

I'm not sure I understand, but maybe I can answer some of your questions. The FlySight does not have a barometric altimeter. In the past, this has been considered a necessity for freefall measurements because one of the main things we're interested in is speed measurements.

Most consumer GPS units log data based on the NMEA standard, which provides position and horizontal velocity, but not vertical speed. This means that, in order to figure out vertical speed, we need to take differences between pairs of altitude measurements. GPS altitude measurements have a bit more error than barometric measurements, so a barometer makes a big difference in that case.

FlySight, on the other hand, logs full 3D velocity measured by the GPS receiver using Doppler shifts. This is much more accurate than taking differences, and eliminates the need for a barometer.

In a way, this capability isn't unique to FlySight. WinTec's units use the same family of GPS receivers as FlySight does, so the same information is available to them. The problem is, they don't log that information, so it's not much help to us that the receiver makes the measurement.

Of course, the biggest difference with FlySight is the in-flight audible feedback, but it seems like you're asking about barometric altitude in particular.

Does that help at all?

Michael

;)

I'm not sure I understand, but maybe I can answer some of your questions. The FlySight does not have a barometric altimeter. In the past, this has been considered a necessity for freefall measurements because one of the main things we're interested in is speed measurements.

Most consumer GPS units log data based on the NMEA standard, which provides position and horizontal velocity, but not vertical speed. This means that, in order to figure out vertical speed, we need to take differences between pairs of altitude measurements. GPS altitude measurements have a bit more error than barometric measurements, so a barometer makes a big difference in that case.

FlySight, on the other hand, logs full 3D velocity measured by the GPS receiver using Doppler shifts. This is much more accurate than taking differences, and eliminates the need for a barometer.

In a way, this capability isn't unique to FlySight. WinTec's units use the same family of GPS receivers as FlySight does, so the same information is available to them. The problem is, they don't log that information, so it's not much help to us that the receiver makes the measurement.

Of course, the biggest difference with FlySight is the in-flight audible feedback, but it seems like you're asking about barometric altitude in particular.

Does that help at all?

Michael

the problem is that I have no idea of English and do not know what words to choose, I will simplify

I want to buy a GPS for distance training, which suggest I use?

Michael thanks friend!

FlySight will not show you distance traveled. You have to plug it into computer to do that.

What FlySight will tell you is how good your glide ratio is (distance/altitude), but not the absolute distance (in kilometers) or absolute altitude.

Hope this helps...
I understand the need for conformity. Without a concise set of rules to follow we would probably all have to resort to common sense. -David Thorne