OG-Tahiti

FlySight GPS

The FlySight CSV is obviously more precise, giving position, velocity and time and it's also insanely simple to work with.

The only reason I'd convert it at all would be to plot a track on google earth and that doesn't require nearly the same level of accuracy.
This isn't flying, its falling with style.

Sorry, I misunderstood. I thought you were suggesting that the FlySight file should be written only with the columns you listed, as opposed to converting it later on.

Hopefully, we'll be able to get FlySight conversion into the next version of GPSBabel. In the meantime, one thing I did run into is the idea of "style schemes".

http://www.gpsbabel.org/htmldoc-development/styles_intro.html

I haven't looked into the details yet, but it looks like you can define a CSV file format using a style file, and then pass this to GPSBabel in order to convert the file.

Michael

If you clean up the csv file to look like this (universal csv with field structure in the first line) it'll be fine in gpsabel:

lat,lon,alt,speed
53.6322164,-114.1941555,4443.29,33.84814323

ps. I have an old gpsbabel so the flysight csv may be supported fully in a newer version

edit: guess it's not supported... file conversion is super easy though and I'm eager to plot my wingsuit flailing in 5hz google earth glory :)

So you want to make a own kml file just to look at the flight on a map?
http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/map_input
On the right it says: Or post your data here.
Copy and paste all the long/lat data to this field and press draw the map.

It will give you a 2D map of the flight.

But what kind of structure does a kml-file have, you can easily create a Excelmacro to convert the file.

I haven't looked into the details yet, but it looks like you can define a CSV file format using a style file, and then pass this to GPSBabel in order to convert the file.

Yup, looks fairly straight forward. See style file attached.

Use from command line as follows:
gpsbabel -i xcsv,style=FlySight.style -f 09-25-03.CSV -o kml -F Test.kml

For GPX:
gpsbabel -i xcsv,style=FlySight.style -f 09-25-03.CSV -o gpx -F Test.gpx

The default KML file isn't particularly nice, but this can be customised with a similar style file.

I haven't done it so go ahead. As the manufacturer you probably have a better chance of getting it included.

You might ask them to consider adding the following fields to their internal intermediate file format:
velN Velocity north (m/s)
velE Velocity east (m/s)
velD Velocity down (m/s)

(They have other device specific fields such as HeartRate and Cadence for Garmin)

They can use these fields to calculate their output fields:
PATH_COURSE
PATH_SPEED
PATH_DISTANCE

May as well ask them to add a calculation and output field for GR too.

The software for the GPS, will it be avalible for Windows also?

Looks like there is another option for Windows users. The trial version of Paralog will let you analyse a single jump (only the ability to save seems to be missing). The current release version doesn't support FlySight, but the beta version does. If you're interested, contact Klaus (vidiot) for a link.

Michael

Maybe next year, i dont think there will be that many jumpdays left this year [:/]

But i did get a chance to try it out yesterday, and it worked.
But since i was doing a trackdive the beeps was very low on the first jump.
I tried to change the settings for the second jump to make it more "trackdive friedly", but i think it was still set to high (or im lousy tracker ;))

; GPS settings

Model: 6 ; Dynamic model
; 0 = Portable
; 2 = Stationary
; 3 = Pedestrian
; 4 = Automotive
; 5 = Sea
; 6 = Airborne with ; 7 = Airborne with ; 8 = Airborne with Rate: 200 ; Measurement rate (ms)

; Tone settings

Mode: 2 ; Measurement mode
; 0 = Horizontal speed
; 1 = Vertical speed
; 2 = Glide ratio
; 3 = Inverse glide ratio
Max: 120 ; Maximum value
; cm/s in Mode 0 and 1
; ratio * 100 in Mode 2 and 3
Threshold: 1000 ; Threshold for tone (mode 2 and 3)
; cm/s vertical in Mode 2
; cm/s horizontal in Mode 3
Volume: 5 ; 0 (min) to 8 (max)

I belive the Max setting was 300 at default, but it seems 120 is still to high.
I could hear the beeps go higher but not more than 2 or 3 steeps.
Do you have any suggestions for trackdives?
Can the logfiles be of any help when setting the Max setting?

I belive the Max setting was 300 at default, but it seems 120 is still to high.
I could hear the beeps go higher but not more than 2 or 3 steeps.
Do you have any suggestions for trackdives?
Can the logfiles be of any help when setting the Max setting?

Your number look fine. I'm a bit surprised that you couldn't hear more difference in tone. Is it possible you were flying into a significant headwind?

The log file is a big help for adjusting the maximum indicated value. You'll need to calculate the glide ratio manually in Excel, but then you can easily find the maximum value actually reached during your jump. Generally, I set the maximum in the config file perhaps 50% higher than my actual maximum. This gives lots of range in the tone, but leaves a little room for changes in wind, performance, etc.

Michael

Im also suprised about how slow i was, but as we did a two way track dive i couldnt get a good exit.
I will try again if i get a chance this year, or next year.

So, looking at the gliderate at ~0.7-0.8 means i should be just about right with 120 as max?
It could be that i didnt notice that the tone changed more than i thought. Or that i dont know all the tones.

Attached the logs and maps of the tracks.
The winds was light on ground, i would say 1-2 m/s on ground. Direction was parallel with road 17/113, west/northwestish.
I dont know the winds aloft.

So, looking at the gliderate at ~0.7-0.8 means i should be just about right with 120 as max?

With those settings, you should hear variations similar to the demo video on the website. When optimizing your flight, you'll hear mainly subtle changes in a high-pitched tone. These are generally quite easy to hear, but they are definitely more subtle than the full-scale changes resulting from major changes in body position.

I'll be releasing an updated firmware soon (along with instructions on how to update your FlySight) which will allow you to control both min and max indicated value. This should allow you to bracket the range a bit better for hard-core optimizing.

Michael

I've got a flysight winging it's way to me in the post from from Mirko and I'm just getting the 'headphones' ready in case it turns up the day I'm heading to the DZ.

I've got a set of in helmet speakers from a motorbike intercom system which will fit quite happily (and comfortably) in my jump helmet that I can wire up to a 3.5mm plug

I know it has to be a stereo jack but should I join the both the tip (left chan.) and ring (right chan.) to the screened core of the wire and the sleeve (ground) to the sleeve (mono from a stereo plug) or just wire the sleeve to either the tip or ring ?

Thanks - I can't wait to fly this :)
Jump more, post less.

I know it has to be a stereo jack but should I join the both the tip (left chan.) and ring (right chan.) to the screened core of the wire and the sleeve (ground) to the sleeve (mono from a stereo plug) or just wire the sleeve to either the tip or ring ?

The tip and the ring are connected internally in the FlySight, as shown in the attached schematic. This is why mono plugs won't work. Provided you don't wire the FlySight's sleeve to either the tip or the ring, you should be fine.

If you're wiring a mono speaker onto a stereo jack, I'd connect the sleeve to one of the speaker's wires, and either the tip or the ring to the other.

Michael

I just finnished a Excel add-in file for those of us who use Excel to view the data.

Macro codes can be harmful for your computer and i will not take responsibillity for any damage.
But i have tested the code and am confident about it

The Add-in will split the data using text to columns.
Add a column for horisontal speed in km/h and make it bold.
Add a column for vertical speed in km/h and make it bold.
Bold the hMSL and set it to 0 format (no decimals).
Freeze panes at row 3.

Installation Excel 2007

1. Download file.
2. Place file in your AddIns folder. C:\Users\ \AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\AddIns
3. Open Excel
4. Click on the Excel "main button" in top left corner and choose |Excel options|.
5. Click on Add-Ins on the left.
6. At the bottom of the window it says Manage |Go|, choose Excel Add-Ins and press Go.
7. A window with avalible Add-Ins should pop up, mark Flysight and press |Ok|.
8. Close Excel and open a Flysight CSV file.

If anyone wants mph/feet/inches or whatever, just tell me.

For those who knows VBA, this is the source code.

Public WithEvents App As Application

Private Sub App_SheetActivate(ByVal Sh As Object)

Dim wkbName As String
Dim LastRow As Double

wkbName = Application.Workbooks(1).Name
extension = Mid(wkbName, InStr(wkbName, "."))

If extension = ".CSV" And Range("A1").Value = "time,lat,lon,hMSL,velN,velE,velD,hAcc,vAcc,sAcc,gpsFix,numSV" Then
Response = MsgBox(prompt:="Run GPS-Script?", Buttons:=vbYesNo)
If Response = vbNo Then
Exit Sub
End If
Else
Exit Sub
End If

Application.ScreenUpdating = False
LastRow = Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row
Columns("A:A").TextToColumns Destination:=Range("A1"), DataType:=xlDelimited, Comma:=True

Columns("G:G").Insert Shift:=xlToRight, CopyOrigin:=xlFormatFromLeftOrAbove
Range("G1").FormulaR1C1 = "velH"
Range("G2").FormulaR1C1 = "(km/h)"
Range("G3").FormulaR1C1 = "=SQRT(RC[-2]*RC[-2]+RC[-1]*RC[-1])*3.6"
Range("G3:G" & LastRow).FillDown
Range("G3:G" & LastRow).NumberFormat = "0.00"

Columns("I:I").Insert Shift:=xlToRight, CopyOrigin:=xlFormatFromLeftOrAbove
Range("I1").FormulaR1C1 = "velD"
Range("I2").FormulaR1C1 = "(km/h)"
Range("I3").FormulaR1C1 = "=RC[-1]*3.6"
Range("I3:I" & LastRow).FillDown
Range("I3:I" & LastRow).NumberFormat = "0.00"

Rows("3:3").Select
ActiveWindow.FreezePanes = True

Columns("I:I").Select
Selection.Font.Bold = True
Columns("G:G").Select
Columns("D:D").Select
Selection.NumberFormat = "0"
Range("A1").Select
Application.ScreenUpdating = True

End Sub

Private Sub Workbook_Open()
Set App = Application
End Sub

Enjoy :)

Michael,

Two features I thought of that might be cool for future versions:
- Navigation aid: By entering a waypoint (by computer or whatever) have the FlySight guide you back to it by making a sound from the direction you should be going (need stereo headphones - also front/back will be tricky, maybe different pitch?). This would be cool for people flying base on their back for navigation, or when there's limited ground visibility due to clouds (yea I know, you shouldn't be jumping, but it happens anyway).

I watched an episode of the BBC science documentary 'Horizon' last night where they had a guy wear a belt embedded with little vibrating pads, the pads that were facing north would vibrate, giving the wearer an innate sense of direction; it was pretty cool, this extra sense. I thought it shouldn't be too complex to have FlySight do something similar.

- Canopy mode: it would be cool if it gave you feedback while under canopy. When out on a long spot (sometimes you end up in the wrong place), it would be nice to find that optimum glide on your canopy so you have the best shot at making it back.

Cheers,

Costyn.
Costyn van Dongen - http://www.flylikebrick.com/ - World Wide Wingsuit News

If Michael release the source for the firmware, I had a few ideas that I want to put in, and your idea of stereo phones gave me one more.

1. Like Costyn said, adding tones for under canopy glide.

2. Adding a waypoint would allow an old idea of mine, a "you are not going to make it back" alarm. I add a height to the DZ location configuration, and if the calculated glide gets you over the DZ at a lower altitude than the target, you get an alarm.

3. With stereo phones, you can implement a true auto-land system. Input the wind dir and speed in advance or try to calculate them based on known canopy airspeed. Then use the phones to give the canopy pilot steering commands. Fly him/her around to the pattern entry and then fly the pattern to the ground. This would be fun as an exercise in programming for me, just to see how close to the peas the software I wrote would allow me to get.

Acutally, even without stereo phones, you could still implement directional control, by using a different tones or sequence of beeps for left turn and right turn (instead of using tones for glide).

So hopefully Michael releases the software someday and I get a chance to screw up his device...

Seth
It's flare not flair, brakes not breaks, bridle not bridal, "could NOT care less" not "could care less".

Would it be possible to connect this device to some kind of HUD screen like Oceanic datamask uses? It shouldn't be too expensive (tiny LCD + some glass to allow for close viewing) and could easily (kindof :P) be integrated into full face helmet or custom googles (to keep viewing range constant). This way you could have your height, glide ratio, vertical speed, etc. right in front of you the whole time.

If tiny LCD + optics is too expensive maybe just an LED array showing different colors could be used as another type of feedback (sound for glide, color for v speed).

Ofcourse once we get proper transparent OLEDs things will look more sci-fi than ever before B|

I understand the need for conformity. Without a concise set of rules to follow we would probably all have to resort to common sense. -David Thorne

The tones are based on glide ratio (great for distance). Would it be possible to have a setting where the tones are based on vertical speed (great for delay)? Just thinking ...

I think it does that already .

Take a look at the "mode" settings in the config file:

; GPS settings

Model: 6 ; Dynamic model
; 0 = Portable
; 2 = Stationary
; 3 = Pedestrian
; 4 = Automotive
; 5 = Sea
; 6 = Airborne with < 1 G acceleration
; 7 = Airborne with < 2 G acceleration
; 8 = Airborne with < 4 G acceleration
Rate: 200 ; Measurement rate (ms)

; Tone settings

Mode: 2 ; Measurement mode
; 0 = Horizontal speed
; 1 = Vertical speed
; 2 = Glide ratio
; 3 = Inverse glide ratio
Max: 120 ; Maximum value
; cm/s in Mode 0 and 1
; ratio * 100 in Mode 2 and 3
Threshold: 1000 ; Threshold for tone (mode 2 and 3)
; cm/s vertical in Mode 2
; cm/s horizontal in Mode 3
Volume: 5 ; 0 (min) to 8 (max)

Edited to fix quoting.

If Michael release the source for the firmware, I had a few ideas that I want to put in, and your idea of stereo phones gave me one more.

1. Like Costyn said, adding tones for under canopy glide.

2. Adding a waypoint would allow an old idea of mine, a "you are not going to make it back" alarm. I add a height to the DZ location configuration, and if the calculated glide gets you over the DZ at a lower altitude than the target, you get an alarm.

3. With stereo phones, you can implement a true auto-land system. Input the wind dir and speed in advance or try to calculate them based on known canopy airspeed. Then use the phones to give the canopy pilot steering commands. Fly him/her around to the pattern entry and then fly the pattern to the ground. This would be fun as an exercise in programming for me, just to see how close to the peas the software I wrote would allow me to get.

Acutally, even without stereo phones, you could still implement directional control, by using a different tones or sequence of beeps for left turn and right turn (instead of using tones for glide).

So hopefully Michael releases the software someday and I get a chance to screw up his device...

Seth

I actually had an idea of creating something like that but i scrapped the idea out of safety.
Flying your canopy is dangerous enough, having a GPS-guided missile under canopy at low altitude is probably worse.

I had the idea of making it as a help for new jumpers (off student but still not good) to get better accuracy in the landing.
Basicly you create a waypoint on ground and mark it with a carpet or something and then have the GPS tell you how to get there.
When the jumper is in the air and beeing "controled" he/she can see where he WILL land and hopefully learn something.

Windspeed and direction can be calculated during flight, you dont need to set it in advance.
You just tell the jumper "face the wind and stab the brakes", this stabing the brakes will show up in the speeds and the GPS can record speed and direction.
Tell the jumper to do 180 turn and record a downwind speed.

But as i said i dont think its safe to have someone in the air thats beeing told to turn left now without looking.
I would love to see it working and it could make new jumpers and demo jumps safer, but i dont know if we really want someone to be GPS controled if there are other canopies in the air.

I actually had an idea of creating something like that but i scrapped the idea out of safety.
I would love to see it working and it could make new jumpers and demo jumps safer, but i dont know if we really want someone to be GPS controled if there are other canopies in the air.

If I did write auto-land code, it would be for my personal amusement. For example, if it really worked, you could do a blind-folded jump, and not get to see until you were on the ground.

But for students, it would be a bad idea. In accuracy it may eventually work better than most radio operators, but in dealing with obstacle avoidance or the unexpected, it would fail miserably.

I do like the idea of an audio based guidance, because it prevents the pilot from watching or glancing at a display and instead they can focus on clearing airspace.
It's flare not flair, brakes not breaks, bridle not bridal, "could NOT care less" not "could care less".

Íf you do make this software, please make it turn itself off at ~150 feet.
Below that you dont need any instructions, i know from own experience that you can get too focused on landing close to the center that you realise you are already on half brakes when its time to flare.
You dont want the voice telling you to make a 180 turn at 100 feet because you are going to overshoot the target.