OG-Tahiti

FlySight GPS

http://flysight.ca/features.htm

Saw this posted on the world wingsuit news blog and figured all of you will be interested in this.

A 5Hz GPS logger, that has a beep feedback for your glide ratio in real time!!!

From the site:

FlySight is not your mother's GPS.

FlySight was designed from the ground up for wingsuit pilots and does one truly revolutionary thing...

FlySight provides real-time audible indication of glide ratio, horizontal or vertical speed.

If you've used other GPS receivers, you know the drill. When you land, you review data from the jump. If you're lucky, or if you've planned a very simple jump, you might remember what you were doing when your glide ratio maxed out. On the next jump, you try to do it again.

FlySight speeds the learning process.

When you change your body position, you instantly hear a change in the tone. Your brain easily connects this feedback with your precise body position, making it astonishingly easy to remember what worked and what didn't.

Solo tracking and wingsuit jumps with this will help so much in getting a better max glide/speed body position I'm sure!!!
"Common sense is not so common" - Voltaire
Dudeist Skydiver #9

Warranty?

Delivery time?

In the thread linked by cpoxon you mentioned you were planning on open/customizable firmware. Is that still the case? If so, can you share what dev kit you are using and any other details about platform.

Thanks,

seth
It's flare not flair, brakes not breaks, bridle not bridal, "could NOT care less" not "could care less".

Indeed. It's been a while in development, but it's finally here. I am happy to answer any questions you guys may have.

Michael

Very cool. I remember you mentioning this awhile back, I thought you had given up on it. I look forward to seeing how it works. Is it compatible with Paralog?
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

I saw this device last weekend during "Wings over Gransee". Nice GPS! Very compact and lightweight for using on your helmet. Definitely helpful to find you optimal body position during the wingsuit flying.

Klaus (Paralog) can tell more professional information about test flights with this device (he had already any jumps with FlySight) and compatibility with Paralog.

Lou: I've worked with Klaus to make sure that Paralog can import FlySight data flawlessly. The main thing to remember is that you need to log data all the way to the ground under canopy so that Paralog has a solid ground reference. Otherwise, look for FlySight in the device options when importing from a GPS.

Seth: I haven't defined a warranty period, but I will stand behind what I've built. Certainly, if you experience hardware problems in the first 30 days, let me know and I'll replace your FlySight without question.

I am shipping within about a week right now, using standard air mail. This week, I'll be setting up large scale production. There may be a small delay in the interim, while production shifts to the new facility, but I will put a note on the website if that's the case.

I'd like to clean up the firmware a bit before I publish it. My first priority is to ensure that hardware production is adequate, so you can expect this to take the back burner for the time being. If you have a particular interest in the firmware, shoot me an email.

Michael

When I got to jump a beta of the FlySight, my response was "I want one as soon as I can have it". When I found out that production had begun I immediately ordered one. Thanks Michael. I'd be amazed if anyone wasn't similarly impressed with this device.
Sometimes you eat the bear..............

hey Michael. Looks like an interesting tool.
Would it be possible to make a video of a jump with the beeping sound in the background to demonstrate how it`s beeping?

I'm hoping to do some jumps with a friend this weekend to see if we can set this up. It'll probably take another week at least to put the video together, but I'll let you know when it's posted on the website.

Michael

Hi Lou,

do you remember when I turned up with my PDA in Eloy in -2006? Has been a long way since then...

The log format has been developed in close coorperation, so FlySight and Paralog integrate seamlessly - although you need to contact me, the public version does not have it integrated yet.

Had the opportunity to do a couple of jumps with that marvelous device over the weekend and all I can say is - amazing! The audible feedback is intuitive while being unobstrusive and helped me to give up a well used-to but inefficient body position 20s into my first flight with it.

This device (combined with a GoPro to record your body position) will definitly change the way you learn to fly your suit efficiently.

Klaus

PS: And to record the sound, simply tape one ear bud of the headset onto the GoPro's housing ;-)
My Logbook

The issue seem to me would be getting a recording of the sound. I am not sure Micheal is storing that file. Why would he? It might be easy enough to run the data through the same program logic to generate the tones for any previous jump.

That's pretty much what I have planned for the demo video.

The hard part is synchronization. I'm actually going to bang together a custom firmware that records tone change data (rather than GPS data) with precise timing, and blinks the FlySight's LED when it's turned on as a way to synchronize the clock with video. Then, back at home, I'll use a second custom firmware to reproduce the FlySight's sounds exactly using the recorded timing data.

However, this is likely way too complex for anyone else to use. If I was shooting first-person video and wanted synchronized sound, the best would be to have a camera with a mic input. Failing that, Klaus's idea is probably the next best thing. FlySight's audio output can be pretty loud, so it just might work.

Michael

I'm hoping to do some jumps with a friend this weekend to see if we can set this up. It'll probably take another week at least to put the video together, but I'll let you know when it's posted on the website.

Michael

Thanks in advance!

Am I being senile or was it 50$ cheaper a week ago?

Oh yes [:/] yesterday it was 199$ ... >:(

The issue seem to me would be getting a recording of the sound. I am not sure Micheal is storing that file. Why would he? It might be easy enough to run the data through the same program logic to generate the tones for any previous jump.

That's pretty much what I have planned for the demo video.

The hard part is synchronization. I'm actually going to bang together a custom firmware that records tone change data (rather than GPS data) with precise timing, and blinks the FlySight's LED when it's turned on as a way to synchronize the clock with video. Then, back at home, I'll use a second custom firmware to reproduce the FlySight's sounds exactly using the recorded timing data.

However, this is likely way too complex for anyone else to use. If I was shooting first-person video and wanted synchronized sound, the best would be to have a camera with a mic input. Failing that, Klaus's idea is probably the next best thing. FlySight's audio output can be pretty loud, so it just might work.

Michael

Why not just use a splitter and the camera mic input? Also, where and how are you mounting it? I'm thinking about purchasing one and trying to determine how I would mount it to my helmet.
"That looks dangerous." Leopold Stotch

Am I being senile or was it 50$ cheaper a week ago?

Nope, you're remembering correctly. When I calculated the original price, it seems I didn't leave enough breathing room for marketing and promotion. Unfortunately, this necessitated a price bump. I hope I haven't given the impression of any dirty dealing here, as it's not my intent. If you feel put out by the unexpected price change, shoot me an email and I'll see if we can work something out.

Michael

Why not just use a splitter and the camera mic input? Also, where and how are you mounting it? I'm thinking about purchasing one and trying to determine how I would mount it to my helmet.

I'm working on a low profile mount for the FlySight, but it'll probably be a couple of months before it's in production. In the meantime, I've had great results with a couple of pieces of duct tape crossed over it, mounted on the back side of the helmet. The unit is very light, so this setup is plenty secure.

Michael